Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2006, 07:21 AM

can my 18 year old drink with me?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:54 AM

I don't think so
Old 12-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Administrator

No. Carnival has a minimum age of 21 and despite what one reads from time-to-time, my personal observations have been that their bar staff rigorously enforces it.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:38 AM

On our recent cruise, I did buy our daughter A drink for her 18th birthday. The bartender really got upset when I slip it to her, and rightfully so. If you do buy a drink, order them and leave the bar with it so that waiter/bartender has no threat of getting in trouble. After thinking about the situation, I really did appreciate their efforts to stop it. It could have been anyone buying her that drink otherwise.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 12-07-2006, 11:24 PM

I really want to say something about this. But I don't want it to come across as judgemental, or as a personal attack on anyone.

When I turned 18 it was of legal age, and I bought my first drink. It was then changed to 21 during this time. I hated it, I wanted to go to the Disco and bars and have a few drinks. During this time some classmates had been killed in alcohol related traffic accidents.

I was still mad that I could not buy a beer, and would sneak in or get someone to get me a drink. When I did turn 21 it was no big deal, but as I look back, I am glad they changed the law. I think of how immature I was then about making decisions.

I grew up alot, and smartened up alot in those 3 years. And after having a Daughter of my own I appreciated the law change.

I still believe that we should be able to buy our enlisted Men and Women a beer when they come home from service no matter their age.

But, would anyone disagree that they have a higher maturity level than a typical 18 year old? The point being, why introduce a danger to immature people.

Sure, they are going to do it anyway. But, I chose not to put my stamp of approval on it as a parent. I know I learned alot about life between 18 and 21.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:10 AM

I dont remember anything between 18 and 21... the drinking age was 18 when I started drinking that was in 1976.

I was Grandfathered in when they Changed the law. I didnt care...lol Kinda like a shirt I bought a friend of mine for his Baby, it says,
" Now that Im Safe, Im all for Pro Choice"

I think the age is still 18 in Mexico isnt it? thought thats why its so popular with the school kids.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:46 AM

Well stated IslandCruz!!
Old 12-08-2006, 04:53 AM
Administrator

It was 18 in NY when I graduated high school in 1974. I went right into the Marines a week later and remember being stationed in places where the age was 21 (California and Pennsylvania). They carded everyone in Pennsylvania, whether in uniform or not - even on base in the enlisted club! I was 21 by then, so no big deal. California was a mixed bag. Usually when in uniform I was not hassled.

Count me in as one who thinks someone in the military should be able to have a beer no matter how old they are. I don't think most people would have a problem with that.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:26 PM

I am over 21 so I guess I don't have to worry about it now.

However, I disagree with the whole "21 years old to drink" thing in this country... Military personel or not. If an 18 year old is considered to be mature enough to decide on their own to put their life on the line for our country, (or not) then I say they are mature enough to have a beer.

That being said, who's to say that someone who decided NOT to join the military ISN'T mature enough to have a beer??? Let's say that person goes to college, becomes a doctor or medic and THEN joins the military, only to go into battle and pull our wounded boys and girls out of harms way, and save their lives! This country has a horrible double standard.
Old enough to vote, serve, or die, but not old enough to enjoy a beer.

I understand that many, many, many... TOO many people have lost loved ones in alcohol related accidents. Many of these horrible events have happened to High school aged kids who have barely turned 18 or under, and are still in high school. The thing is, the (18 back then, now 21) year olds aren't the ones dying! Its their underage friends who over indulge because of that little "treat" of alcohol that may only be availible for that one night of the weekend.

Anyway, I just realized I have turned this post into a rant... Sorry!

Dramamine? We dont need no stinking Dramamine!

Old 12-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Administrator

The difference is that someone who is in the military has achieved an established and recognized standard for demonstrating a level of maturity. They are also held to a high standard with regard to their conduct, both on duty and off duty. Not so for the typical kid who is a college freshman or similar.

Closed Thread

Tags
21, alcohol, carnival, drinking, imagination, oncarnival, purchase, triumph