Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 10:56 AM

Howdy all! I am hoping you can give me your two cents about gratuities as our booked parties are a bit confused.

What exactly does prepaying gratuities cover?

I've read that it'll cover everything, however one of our members of our booking has found on Carnival's website that gratuities are automagically added to our Sign & Sail account for every drink we purchase. So in essence - are we paying twice for grats? Or was the bartender never covered in the prepaids?

Thanks for the info and any additional thoughts you might have.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-13-2009, 10:56 AM

Howdy all! I am hoping you can give me your two cents about gratuities as our booked parties are a bit confused.

What exactly does prepaying gratuities cover?

I've read that it'll cover everything, however one of our members of our booking has found on Carnival's website that gratuities are automagically added to our Sign & Sail account for every drink we purchase. So in essence - are we paying twice for grats? Or was the bartender never covered in the prepaids?

Thanks for the info and any additional thoughts you might have.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:18 AM

Pre-paid gratuities can be added to the cost of your cruise and are all paid for at the time of final payment. NOTE: Pre-paid gratuities can not be adjusted once on board ship. If you don't Pre-pay gratuities then they will be added to your on board account. The on board account gratuities can be adjusted. Both Pre-paid, and on board gratuities cover your cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, and Head waiter.

Gratuity for drinks is an automatic 15% added on to any drink order. It is separate.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Look here. Bar staff tips are not included in the prepaid or automatic tips. They get their money from each drink they sell.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:00 PM

quote:
Pre-paid gratuities can be added to the cost of your cruise and are all paid for at the time of final payment. NOTE: Pre-paid gratuities can not be adjusted once on board ship. If you don't Pre-pay gratuities then they will be added to your on board account. The on board account gratuities can be adjusted. Both Pre-paid, and on board gratuities cover your cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, and Head waiter.

Gratuity for drinks is an automatic 15% added on to any drink order. It is separate.

Is it safe to say that any room service is going to have a gratuity snuck into the bill then? Or are we covered with that?

Also, stupid question, but can you tell me what the difference is between a Maitre d' and cabin steward?

Thanks ya'll!

Old 07-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Administrator

quote:
Is it safe to say that any room service is going to have a gratuity snuck into the bill then? Or are we covered with that?

You need to tip room service each time they deliver an order. There is no room service bill - it is included in the cruise price but the people who deliver it should be tipped $2-$5 per order depending on the size of the order. Most of us will bring along a wad of $1 and $2 bills for this purpose.

quote:
Also, stupid question, but can you tell me what the difference is between a Maitre d' and cabin steward?

The cabin attendant (it may be either a man or a woman) is responsible for cleaning your cabin, preparing it for bed time by turning down beds, and providing clean towels, ice, etc.

The Maitre d' is in charge of the main dining room. They usually have assistants or headwaiters responsible for sections of the dining room, who in turn supervise the waiters and assistant waiters (busboys).
Old 07-13-2009, 12:17 PM
a maitre-d is the one who organises the dinning room. he is in total control of wait staff and seating arrangements..he is on salary so we dont tip him.. out waiter does all the hard work. room service has no tipping added,though i give them a $1.00 tip when they deliver.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:42 PM

On our last cruise we actually had a maitre'd that made a direct impact on our cruise. We asked for a special dessert and he had them prepare it for us. He got a tip from me... but normally I don't tip them much if at all....
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 07-19-2009, 12:41 PM

I start the first night of the cruise by giving my waiter $20.00 folded and passed in a hand shake. And I say there is more to come if the service is good.I leave the tips on the automatic account as well. If the dinning room service is excellant- good I give extra the last night. It almost always works for us..
Old 07-19-2009, 05:42 PM

I don't usually tip the Maitre d' unless I ask him for something. Like being moved or arranging for different parties to be seated together.

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, covered, cruise, day, final, gratuities, gratuity, line, norwegian, pay, prepaid, prepay, price, reviews, royal