Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 PM

My mother-in-law is taking the family on a cruise in September. I have a 4 year old girl and everyone is trying to talk me into putting her in Camp Carnival when we go. To say that I am very nervous about that would be an understatement. My daughter has a very outgoing personality so I don't think she will be scared without mommy or daddy, the problem is more from my end. I only allow family members to babysit her at home. I am very concerned with allowing her to be on a ship in the middle of the ocean with people that are not family. I am concerned on the safety of check in/check out from camp carnival and how strict they are with that and just a safety issue. Yes I know I am a paranoid mom! Can anyone help me put my mind at ease?
Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 PM

My mother-in-law is taking the family on a cruise in September. I have a 4 year old girl and everyone is trying to talk me into putting her in Camp Carnival when we go. To say that I am very nervous about that would be an understatement. My daughter has a very outgoing personality so I don't think she will be scared without mommy or daddy, the problem is more from my end. I only allow family members to babysit her at home. I am very concerned with allowing her to be on a ship in the middle of the ocean with people that are not family. I am concerned on the safety of check in/check out from camp carnival and how strict they are with that and just a safety issue. Yes I know I am a paranoid mom! Can anyone help me put my mind at ease?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:11 PM

Well thats underderstood to be nervouse, espicallt if this is your only daughter and this is your first cruise. Dont be so worried. I went on a cruise ship this past september, I am 15 I also have 3 siblings 10, 10, and 9.
My parents signed them up for camp carnival and one of the days we were there I went to go to camp carnival to get mi sister to take her out for ice cream because it was her birthday, and the camp carnival wouldnt let my take my sister unless my parents were there with their sail and sign card to prove they were the parents. During the day att Camp Carnival there is tons of things your daughter could do...My siblings came back with sand art, candy art, different kinds of finger paintings, they got to do tours of the boat, they wouldnt let them go near the edge! They got introduced to the captain of the ship when they did the tour...they got ice cream cones and went ad had lunch all togeather, it was alot of fun, and your daughter will enjoy every minuite of it!

Have fun on your vacation..!
Meghan
Old 03-09-2008, 08:48 PM

It is perfectly understandable for you to be concerned about the safety of your daughter. And I hope Meghan's comments will ease your concerns.

However, you must accept that you cannot protect your child from EVERYTHING whether at home, on a cruise, or with family. You and your daughter will be a lot happier the next 14 years if you allow yourself to let go a little. And, she will be going to school soon. It will be a lot easier to let go then if you start now.

I do know exactly how you feel as I have an outgoing daughter as well. Enjoy your cruise and let her enjoy the experience of being around other children other than family.

By the way, are there any other children in your family going on the cruise? Camp Carnival goes up to age 11 so if there are other children in the family in that age range then you won't be leaving her completely alone.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:36 AM

Hi sprklbry, and Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

I understand your concern as well. They are very strict about the check in and out procedures as baby-balouga so excellently noted. No worries.

Dwayne
Old 03-10-2008, 04:03 AM
Administrator

Hi sprklbry, and welcome to cruise-chat.com!

As a parent, I understand your concerns. Our son is now 14, but we've been cruising with him since he was a baby. Carnival does, in fact, have a strict sign-out policy when it comes to kids your daughter's age.

My suggestion is for you and your family to go to the Camp Carnival orientation they will have the first night of the cruise. This is usually held in one of the smaller lounges. The counselors will tell you about the programs and explain their safety procedures.

I'll also add that it's not mandatory that your daughter use the program. We have many fond memories of our son hanging out with us when he was younger. (Actually, he still does.) Yet, it is nice knowing that the program is there, so I do suggest signing her up that first night. She doesn't necessarily have to go for hours every night... our son was usually satisfied with a couple of hours after dinner depending upon the activities offered.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:35 AM

I put my 3 year old son and 5 year old daughter with reservations but they quickly took away any issues I may have had. They are very secure in check in and unless your name matches with your sail and sign you do not take your kids out. It is a great program and I would have no problems putting them back in again.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-10-2008, 08:19 AM
That is good to know for me as well my 8 year old neice and 7 year old girl cousins are going and I was a little concerned myself so hopefull it will all be okay.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-10-2008, 09:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by sprklbry:

Everyone had great answers and I agree. I would add only 1 suggestion. At the orientation meeting tell the councelors about your concerns, they will not only explain the procedures but know that you especially want them enforced strickly with your daughter.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Banned

I hope that I can calm your fears.

We started cruising with our 2 boys when they were 5 and 8....now the youngest is headed out on his 22nd cruise in May. (He is now 16)

We have experienced every age group on some 14 different ships (some ships multiple times) and have never had a bad Camp Carnival experience.

Since our youngest son has autism...I have a PhD in being overprotective. Camp Carnival staff have always gone above and beyond to alieve my fears.

You will also have a pager, so that they can contact you anywhere on the ship...should she need you.

I can only speak from lots of personal experience that she will be well cared for and you can have a great time!!

Closed Thread

Tags
autistic, camp, carnival, check, child, cruise, daughter, give, nervous, pager, paradise, review, safety, ship, year