Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2007, 08:22 AM

Sailed 10 Carnival and 3 RCCL but not on the mega ships. Thinking about it for next year. If you have been on the mega ships would like your input as to preferences between the two. What is the major differences and is it worth the extra cost, Thanks, Cathy from Georgia
Old 07-26-2007, 08:49 AM

Well, if you like steakhouses, italian restaurants, waterslides, golf simulators, ice skating, waterparks, the "flowrider", etc. etc. Heck, even a full size boxing ring. Then I suggest you go with RCCL. Carnival can't touch those activities... Alas, Carnival DOES have the incredible chocolate melting cake.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:27 PM

CCL DOES have the speciality restaurants DR. They call them "supper clubs" but basically the same thing. Their steaks are as good as Chops'
CCL has waterslides, golf sims too. As far as the ice skating, waterparks and flowrider, and boxing ring, no. Not sure those make or break a cruise. I saw the ice show, it was nice, but no different than seeing a dance show in my mind.

We decided that the extra cost was not worth it to us. Not to say I would never do an RCCL cruise again, but since we compare everything to CCL since it was our first cruise line, then we really don't need to spend the money.

And Carnival does do desert MUCH better (and not just the C.M.C.) as they seem to have a greater variety of special deserts.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 07-26-2007, 04:09 PM

I'm glad everyone doesn't like Royal Caribbean as much as I do. If everyone booked RCCL the prices would be even more than they are now. I found what I like, and I'm not ever going to wonder if another cruise line is better than the one I cruise on. This vs. that doesn't mean too much unless you are the one doing the judging. You can ask ten different people and get ten different opinions. The main thing about cruising is to have a great time.

Sonny

Old 07-26-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SONNYV:
I'm glad everyone doesn't like Royal Caribbean as much as I do. If everyone booked RCCL the prices would be even more than they are now. I found what I like, and I'm not ever going to wonder if another cruise line is better than the one I cruise on. This vs. that doesn't mean too much unless you are the one doing the judging. You can ask ten different people and get ten different opinions. The main thing about cruising is to have a great time.

Sonny
Why isn't their a smilie that shows applause??
Old 07-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by SONNYV:

Sonny

Sonny, that says it better than I could. If someone is happy with RCCL, or Carnival, or Princess, or whatever, then all I can say is "great!". The customer is having a great time on their favorite cruise line, the line is making money, and so everyone is happy. It shouldn't have to be any deeper than that.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Ok I planning my next cruise
Last year I went to the adventure of the seas one of the Voyager series of RCCL
I have to say MEGA does not mean a better vacation.
The carnival destiny maybe smaller but the food is always there you can eat when ever you want or what ever you want they have 24 hour pizza not that microwave they have at the RCCL, midnight buffets and I mean a real buffet.
So you know I am a Food junkie and I don’t like to pay good money just to find that the company limit me when or where I will like to eat, for example from my experience onboard the AOS, so you understand:
o I went to Curacao and because some problem at the port we did not disembark at the time we where suppose to. We wait for 3 hour at sea until they let us disembark so we ate breakfast as always during the morning at 7 am. By the time we went to the island it was 10 am. We went to our 3.5 hour tour of the island, I didn’t have the time to eat lunch before my tour, so I figured after I went back from it I will eat lunch at the windjammer. After arriving the ship we went to the windjammer and for my surprise it was close at 3:30 pm
What cruise line closes the windjammer during the afternoon??
Only Royal Caribbean…
When I went to ask about it they just told me I can wait to the dinner or eat at the café promenade, Microwave pizza or those seven eleven sandwiches are not my first option for a food but well is either that or going to the Johnny Rockets or portofino and Pay for food in a cruise NICE charging me for eating on a Cruise ship that’s a new one…
When I went to the café they just give me only one slice of pizza because everyone was there eating so they have to limit one per person in order to get another piece I had to make the line again.

Ok It was not a big line but well I don’t like to wait when I am hungry
So you know
THIS IS the only REASON of why
I am hesitating of buy another cruise from RCCL the next year
AOS is a great ship, the itinerary is great, I love Aruba and they are the only Company that goes to that port from PR, but for me food is a big part of any cruising experience,
I hope that they will learn that I am not the only guest thinking this way…
Old 07-27-2007, 06:48 AM

I completely agree with Sonny here, and I was not trying to start a cruise line favorite war. I was just trying to make sure that the facts were being stated correctly. Drliningston had said the CCL does not match the ammenidies of the RCCL mega ships and while that is true for some of them, it is not true for all of them. I'm sure CCL will come up with something comparable with the new ships they have in the works. The "extras" seem to bring in customers, so they will most likely feel the need to respond.

I also don't proclaim that one line is any better than another, as Sonny said, its a personal preference thing. So each to their own. I even own RCCL stock, so I must have seen something I like there... I just personally did not see the need to spend the extra money on a cruise JUST to sail on the RCCL ships. Maybe when I am not paying for 4 people to cruise I will see it differently, but that doesn't mean I disliked the RCCL cruise.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, carnival, mega, megaships, rccl, royal, ship, ships, verse