Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 12:37 PM
I just booked for March of 2008 and yesterday printed out all the shore excursions where we googled over them but eventually picked our favorites. This morning when I went in online to book them in my box was an e-mail that beginning January 2, 2008 the Destiny no longer will go to St Lucia or Antiqua. AND no day at sea...rather they go into St Kitts, and 2 days at Santo Domingo. Not happy cause we picked the Caribben Pirate ship in St Lucia and a private island in antiqua plus at least one day at sea would have been nice or why bother with a ship at all. Not sure I won't just cancel and look for another ship...I will wait and see what is available on the other two ports. Does anyone have any idea if these places are cool and what to do there?
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 03-01-2007, 12:37 PM
I just booked for March of 2008 and yesterday printed out all the shore excursions where we googled over them but eventually picked our favorites. This morning when I went in online to book them in my box was an e-mail that beginning January 2, 2008 the Destiny no longer will go to St Lucia or Antiqua. AND no day at sea...rather they go into St Kitts, and 2 days at Santo Domingo. Not happy cause we picked the Caribben Pirate ship in St Lucia and a private island in antiqua plus at least one day at sea would have been nice or why bother with a ship at all. Not sure I won't just cancel and look for another ship...I will wait and see what is available on the other two ports. Does anyone have any idea if these places are cool and what to do there?
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
Old 03-02-2007, 05:10 AM

I have not bee to St Kitts in a long time, but I have been to Santo Domingo. The Dominican Republic can be good (or bad). Take a tour is my best advice. The local rum should run you no more than $6 US. They are noted for their Amber.

Don't be discouraged. The Destiny is my favorite ship. If you see a waiter, "Colin" from St Vincent tell him a friend from Boston said hello. You might even get lucky and have him as your waiter. He's the best! I met him in 1999 and he really is a true professional at the craft.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:50 AM

Hey baby doll,

Yes they are changing some ports.

In my opinion the other itinerary was better. But you are so far out I would just cancel it and look at other options. You may even get a better deal.

IslandCruz
Old 03-02-2007, 07:37 AM
I will look for Colin if we do decide to take this one. I'm thinking though that you may be right Island Cruz. The only thing is no ship has all the islands we want and if we wait til the last minute, which we could do, to get a better price...(doesn't matter when we go)we would be taking pot luck on where we go. On what I see Kitts don't have the awesome beaches that St Lucia did and don't see a whole lot to do there although many ships have that as a port so there must be some good there. Still up in the air, but I do appreciate your 2 imputs.
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
Old 03-02-2007, 09:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
Hey baby doll,

Yes they are changing some ports.

In my opinion the other itinerary was better. But you are so far out I would just cancel it and look at other options. You may even get a better deal.

IslandCruz

I second, St. Lucia and Antigua are two of the best places I've been. Was not impressed with St. Kitts or Santo. The funny thing is years ago I went to Antigua and hated it, did the ole hop off the ship and hop back on 30mins later. I then, last year went back to Antigua, took a city bus to Nelson's dock yard and on to Darkwood beach where I was able to take a photo of my wife and I standing on the beach with the Montserrat Volcano errupting in the background. One of the colliest places I've been. And you have to see the Pitons in St. Lucia
Old 03-02-2007, 03:15 PM

Awww - sorry to hear it... we just came back from that cruise and loved those ports! Would have even considered doing it again
Old 03-02-2007, 04:59 PM

Hi babydoll,

It sounds like you're interested in St Lucia. I did a land package twice and I enjoyed myself both times. The first was at the Rex, St Lucian. I did an all inclusive. The second was at the Coco Kreole and it included breakfast. The Coco Kreole was far smaller, but I loved it. It was right downtown close to everything. The manager's name was "Peppy" and she was really customer focused.

If you don't want to cruise try the island flavor of St Lucia. I recommend it.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:55 PM
wow U2 that must have been an awesome shot!I'm thinking land package now. It is an 8 hour flight to get there and don't want to spend all this money for naught. Carnival says people were complaining the islands were to short in staying, but when you look at the new itinary it is the same lengths so don't know why they changed. Tara I think you will be with many that would go back again before they changed it...wonder what the chances are to petition Carnival to stay as is??? Somebody had to put a bug in their ear to change in the first place. Cruise Happy what tour did you take and did you like it? Good or Bad meaning what??
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
Old 03-03-2007, 10:12 AM

I did a land package in Santo Domingo and the people can get really agressive in trying to sell you their inexpensive trinkets for the highest price. I also owned a home in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic and got rid of it. It's very frustrating for outsiders to do business with the local establishments. They double and triple their price on all who are not Dominican.

This even happens when you try to take the "motoconcho" (a motorcycle taxi) or the "gua, gua" the bus. They try to charge double.

Stick with the ship's tours. Check Carnival's website for their explanations of the tours offered and do some research before booking anything so you can enjoy yourself.

Closed Thread

Tags
antigua, beach, darkwood