Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2005, 12:57 PM

My cruise in Feb 06 out of Texas, has been cancled because Carnival is using there old ships to house the victims of the hurricane. My ship, is being repostitioned to cover those cruises. Carnival is getting paid from FEMA to use there ships. They have canceled hundreds of us. If we want to rebook, they have increased there price from $300-$500. They are making a huge profit of this hurricane, they are not the nice guys. I am stuck. Although Carnival has refunded my money, Continental air says I have to pay them $200 to change my flight, even though it is actually less expensive. SO, I have to pay $200 more in air, and $300-$500 more, for the same cruise 2 weeks later. I have tried everything with both companies. Does anyone now what I can do?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:17 PM

tamy,

I am sorry your cruise was cancelled and you are having so much trouble with it.

However, this is yet another example that people should strongly consider buying travel insurance. I know this doesn't help you this time, but it might be a good advice for your next booking.

Finally, I do not agree that Carnival is making huge profit because of the Hurricane. While they are getting paid for the ships, they also have lots and lots of costly issues they have to deal with, and eventually the Hurricane will cause them to lose money, not go gain some.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 09-07-2005, 01:42 PM

Whatever Raoul Even if your statement to poor Tamy is totally true beyond a shadow of doubt, It wasn't the time to say it. You sound like an overworked cheerleader for Carnival. They are not perfect and beyond being a little unfriendly, especially on the telephone. Tamy, I realize that changing your flight might cost extra. $200.00 sounds a bit much. With your cruise not being until Feb. can you not cancel your flight with a smaller penalty if any and reschedule for your proposed destination? Also, I have no idea what cruise you were wanting to take, but we personally got a better deal on another cruise with a different cuise line.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:54 PM
I am writting in regard to your air fare change conntinital I myself was advised by the accounting refund office to call back at the end of oct. or sometime in Nov. about the 150.00 fee charged for us changing our flights from nola to tampa they are handling such a volume right now on flight changes etc that right now they are only taking care of refunds and fee waivers up to Oct. 31, there MAY be a chance we will get the 150.00 refunded back and there may not, but I will wait and try again in nov. and call again, what happens hapens if I get it back I will be overjoyed if not I will not let it ruin our vacation plans all I am thinking about right now is what flights might cost in the coming months with the cost od fuel I fell pretty lucky it was only 50.00 each. I have the office # for refunds if you need it that the the very compassionate agent who tried to assist me gave me 1 800 9322732 option 5 then option 3 since your flight is in feb. I would try sometime in dec. as they are only doing it for 60 days at a time Good luck Fran p.s. this is for conntintal airlines
Old 09-07-2005, 02:05 PM

joarkn,

would you have prefered it if I had given the advice regarding travel insurance after tamy rebooked the cruise / flights?

I gave a friendly word of advice so I don't think there's any need to reproach me.

What has happened to the friendly atmosphere on this board recently?!?

Raoul Fiebig

Old 09-07-2005, 05:00 PM

I appriciate all of your ideas. As for the travel insurance, I do use it. You have until the 10th day after you purchase your cruise to purchase insurance, but that only covers the cruise. There is only one airline that flies from PDX to HOU, Continental. They do not insure anything.
My problem is not merly the $200 of the rescheduled flight, Carnival has subsiquintly increased there prices a substantial amount since they pulled my ship. So you see, the same cruise 2 weeks later will cost me $600 more. That may not be a lot to some of you, but it is to me.
I do have good news for those of you in the this situation. After all of the emails, the request to speak direclty to a supervisor, and finally threatining to call the BBB, the airline has agreed to waive the fee. Well at least that is what my email says. I will call them tomorrow. I hope that anyone in the same boat (that was funny) will push until you are treated fairly. As for the cruise, I have to reschedule with a different line, and pay the difference. I did not mention, that I called my travel agent today. When I spoke with Carnival yesterday I was told by a supervisor that "we will work with you" "we will give you the best deal we can". One of those deals, was a trip leaving the same day, from the same port. For about $200 more than I paid for the highest catagory of a window room, I could get a repeat passanger for the lowest porthole room. I told the manager that I would call him back today. Well, it was a lie. My travel agent spent 2 hours trying to fix this. They did not document any phone call, nor would the two individuals she spoke with, allow me to get that rate. I am sorry for those of you this offends, but Carnival is deffinatley using this situation for there gain.
Again, thanks to all of you for the suggestions and support.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:05 PM

Raoul! You still have a friend in Buffalo!

peachcrek: I can't even understand what you wrote. If you could spend an extra minute or two doublechecking your spelling, and especially your punctuation, I would appreciate it. I can't tell where one sentence ends and another begins. This is very interesting to me and I would like to be able to follow the chain of events that you are laying out here.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:19 PM

tamy,

the travel insurance apparently works the same way in the U.S. as here in Germany. I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago when my upcoming cruise was cancelled ten days prior to departure as the cruise line (Renaissance Cruises) had suddenly declared bankruptcy. Fortunately, I had purchased insurance when booking my flights. The insurance company ultimately paid for the two flight cancellations (two different airlines, as embarkation and debarkation ports were not identical), with the exception of US$ 50 or so which I had to pay.

US$ 600 more definitely is a lot of money, no doubt about that. I am glad that Continental has shown some good will, and I will keep my fingers crossed that you will find a good deal on a replacment cruise, soon.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 09-07-2005, 07:04 PM

Could have, should have, would have, seems to fit the travel insurance issue. Thatís water under the bridge. Itís happened.

We always try to get insurance that covers unexpected situations including airfare.

We donít cruise Carnival for many reasons so we arenít personally affected by their decisions to house people in NOLA. A friend of mine has been however and shared his tale with me at lunch just today.

In my opinion, I think Carnival acted without putting enough thought into the logistics of their actions. Many people will now have to share misery, not by their own choice but by actions of their chosen cruise line.

My sincerest sympathies go out to you as to the victims of Katrina.

Carlena1, Not everyone is a writer or bothers with the Kingís English. I am a part time columnist and textbook writer but often my spelling and grammar go unchecked on forums. I guess I just thought that these were meant to be open, easy going places.

Raoul, I say ditto to joarkn. Please donít be so naÔve to believe that Carnival wonít make something off housing people in NOLA. It may not be huge profits but they are in business, like any other corporation, to make money. My humble opinion is that their loss of money you refer to may come out of the PR from their choice of handling their costumers. There are of other cruise lines to choose from.

Tamy, FYI I'm not sure it will help but I just changed a reservation inVegas with Northwest (a Continetal partner) for $40 the next day. Stay on them, it might help. I'm not aware of where you are from but Northwest flys into Houston, Bush Intn'l.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Banned

Raoul,
I was not aware that travel insurance would cover cost increases, and I am pretty sure they do not. If I am wrong, please prove it.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, flight, insurance, push, travel