Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Fantasy going out of Mobile through August (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/20931-fantasy-going-out-mobile-through-august.html)

LHP 08-07-2008 06:29 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carnival Fantasy Departures
Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:00 PM
Unfortunately, the operational situation in the Mississippi River remains very volatile at this time and there is the possibility of additional river closures at any time. As a result, we will divert the Carnival Fantasy to Mobile, Alabama on August 9, 2008.
The following information will explain our operational plans for the Carnival Fantasy:

Carnival Fantasy August 4 and August 9 Departures

Guests debarking the ship on August 9 will be provided motorcoach transportation from Mobile to the New Orleans cruise terminal or the New Orleans airport.

Guests scheduled to embark on August 9 should proceed to the cruise terminal in New Orleans as planned. Motorcoach transportation will be provided from the New Orleans cruise terminal to the Mobile cruise terminal. This cruise will return to Mobile on August 14 and motorcoach transportation will be provided to the New Orleans cruise terminal or the New Orleans airport.

Carnival Fantasy August 14, August 18, August 23 and September 1 Departures

We will now operate all of these cruises roundtrip from Mobile. If guests were driving to New Orleans, we request they proceed to the cruise terminal in Mobile.

Due to the airlift constraints into Mobile, guests that purchased air transportation from Carnival or independent air transportation should fly into New Orleans as scheduled. Carnival will provide roundtrip motorcoach transportation between the New Orleans airport and Mobile on the day of arrival and departure only.

We sincerely apologize to all of our guests that are impacted by this situation. The entire Carnival team will do everything possible to minimize this inconvenience.

macmom111 08-07-2008 06:38 AM

what a terrible situation for New Orleans. I also feel so sorry for the people that have to fly in and then take a long bus ride to mobile. Will make a very long day for some people.
On the other hand Mobile is such an easy port maybe it will be very some embarking.
got to make the best of a bad situation.

Dave 08-07-2008 07:15 AM

No doubt parking is a disaster in Mobile right now.

penny3333 08-07-2008 10:33 AM

Dave, you're not just whistling Dixie. Sure am glad we beat the rush!

tncruiseman 08-07-2008 10:58 AM

This squelchs the rumor that a Fantasy class ship can't turn around in the Mobile port Channel.

LHP 08-07-2008 11:00 AM

Wow...I had not even thought about parking in Mobile.

Will their parking garage hold the Holiday AND the Fantasy? Or will they have to use that space under the bridge???

I just hope this does not put a second ship coming to New Orleans in danger of being cancelled.

Between the "cliches" over the years (power lines - move to Gulfport.....Fantasy hit by a barge - cruise cancelled.... and now this) ...

Mobile could get TWO ships instead of New Orleans!

Dave 08-07-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Will their parking garage hold the Holiday AND the Fantasy?
No way. Just with the Holiday the garage can be filled up. The least crowded I've seen it was last month and in that case there was half of the roof left open, maybe room for 50 cars at best. On our prior two times out of Mobile it sold out and they had to use the overflow lots.

I'm not sure the overflow lots could accommodate the vehicles for the Fantasy. The facility cannot support two ships permanently unless they do some additions.

penny3333 08-07-2008 11:51 AM

I'm sure there are other hotels in Mobile that will let you park and cruise, but just for anyone's information. We stayed in the Renaissance and for $20 more they let us park and shuttled us to and from the port.

Dwayne 08-07-2008 01:12 PM

With the new update instructing passengers to proceed to Mobile starting on August 14th., the parking will probably get stretched to the limits. The port is used to accommodating 1,452 passengers, now it will be 3,504. Think of all the extra manpower and coordination being put in to this. I bet Carnival has relocated the NOLA staff to Mobile, and they are staying in hotels during this.

Here is a link to the update.

Dwayne

LHP 08-08-2008 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by IslandCruz:
With the new update instructing passengers to proceed to Mobile starting on August 14th., the parking will probably get stretched to the limits. The port is used to accommodating 1,452 passengers, now it will be 3,504. Think of all the extra manpower and coordination being put in to this. I bet Carnival has relocated the NOLA staff to Mobile, and they are staying in hotels during this.

Here is a link to the update.

Dwayne
I think they will simply use the existing Mobile staff to work the extra days. They will be working 4 days a week instead of 2. The New Orleans folks will probably be released early (with the drydock coming up).