Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 07:49 AM

ok my wife is packing now again we leave in 27 days so she would like to know from anyone is 3 pieces for check in and 2 carry on's to much for a 7 day cruise,will it all fit in a cat 11 suite, she is in a panic
Old 09-18-2006, 08:13 AM

She is taking WAY to much. I have learned from seven cruises to pack very LITE - for one with taking that much - you will spend your whole last night in "PACKING" - To me little is better - you never wear as much as you take. On the last seven day cruise - my daughter took 11 pairs of shoes - "NEVER AGAIN". She only wore maybe 3 pairs. Trust me the rooms are small for all thoses clothes.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:18 AM

ok thanks she will start over now she says just wondering never took a 7 day cruise only a 3 day before
Old 09-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Jerome,

It will fit in a cat. 11 suite.

When we cruise there are three of us and each has a carry on. We also bring three larger bags. It is probably more than we need but it is what we do and we've grown accustomed to it. We also mix what is in each checked bag - a little bit of each person's stuff per bag instead of putting all of one person's items in one bag. That way if a bag (or even two bags) is lost everyone still has clothes.

We pack up almost everything on the last morning instead of waiting until night. Then we don't have to worry about it and can enjoy the last day of the cruise. We'll leave out what we are wearing that night and for the trip home. When the night is over all we have to do is pack what we wore that night and then put the bags out.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:52 AM

For our cruises, we each had a carry-on and one large checked bag. Now, since you can't bring toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant, mascara, eye liner, etc., on the plane, we will have 3 checked bags. Instead of my purse, I am carrying a small tote that will have a couple of sets of underwear and a t-shirt each. I take one pair of black dress shoes and a black purse for dinner, two pairs of shorts, a few t-shirts, 2 swim suits, a dress/skirt suit for each night, underwear for a few days more than the cruise length. My husband takes twice as much (slacks/shirts instead of dresses/skirts) and never wears everything he takes, but we have to lug it around nonetheless. Tell your wife to pack half of what she thinks she'll need, if there is something she absolutely, positively has to have that she didn't bring, she could buy it on board or in one of the islands and have a keepsake. Best wishes and have a wonderful cruise
Old 09-19-2006, 12:10 PM

Well, that's just it.. you end up buying a bunch of things in the ports. Pack at most one T-Shirt. You will buy more in the first port you hit. Shoes- 3 pair max. 1 gym shoe, 1 dress pair for formal night and sandals for pool/beach. How many pairs of shorts do you need? Not one for each day... If you try to pack 2 outfits for each cruise day, you WAY over doing it. The first and last day are spent embarking and disembarking... Its hard to tell you how much to pack but each of us can tell you that we always come home with stuff we never wore.

I like Dave's idea of mixing up the check bags if flying in. Rarely do they lose all the luggage and that way, everyone has at least a change of clothes.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-19-2006, 01:05 PM

hi i'm jeromes wife thanks for the advice i was in a panic there is things i can not bring in a carry on so that is why i was asking would it be ok for a second samll check in bag now that they have changed everything only our second time flying and cruise
Old 09-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Jim,

For a warm weather cruise I'll bring one pair of running shoes, my flip flops, my deck shoes, and my dress shoes. The deck shoes are what I wear on casual nights, since my casual wear is usually a tropical shirt and dockers. I'd look like a major geek wearing dress shoes with that get up! Running shoes for the tours. Actually I don't pack the running shoes since I wear them flying or driving to the cruise. Flip flops for day wear. And the dress shoes for the two formal nights.

No lying about the t-shirts and other junk one acquires on a cruise! I'll bring 3 t's with me and wear one on embarkation day. And like most, I go to the ship's store as soon as it opens and buy the souvenir shirts before they run out of my size (xl, or xxl in some cases).
Old 09-19-2006, 02:22 PM

I am in total agreement with you guys about packing only half of what you think you will need. I definitely over did it for my cruise. This time we will definitely take a lot less. My hubby will also not take shampoo because he will use what they have in the shower. This coming cruise we will be traveling a lot lighter and I think we will spend a minute packing.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:51 AM

I say pack whatever you really think you need as long as allowed to fly, if flying without penalty.

I too have cut back as you usually don't use all of it. But at the same time I take at least one T shirt per day and a couple extra.

I don't want to be sitting near Jim C. after him wearing the same one all week

And am not in the habit of wearing T's I buy as souvenirs before I give them to people

Jerome, on the guys end for a 7 day I take..

1 or 2 jeans
9 underwears
3 pairs of shorts ..wearing one of them
8 casual T's
2 board shorts/swimtrunks for wet/dry
2 dress pants
2 dress shirts
2 ties
1 dress jacket/blazer
1 pair of dress shoes
1 pair of reef sandals/flip flops
1 pair of tennis shoes I wear on

Dang, that is alot and never wear it all. But let the Wifey take what She wants if will fly as she wants to look good

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, luggage, norwegian, suitcase