Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2005, 05:14 PM

I am going on my first cruise in january out of San Juan and we booked a guarantee cabin which as I understand it, means that if there are open cabins at the end, they will try to sell them out and we could possibly get moved up to a nicer cabin. First of all, am I understanding this correctly and secondly, what would you say are the chances of that happening? When would we find out if we have been bumped up? Also....if they can't fill the ship and there are open cabins of a higher price range, do they offer ppl in the lower grade cabins to pay a discounted price to be bumped up to a nicer one?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:10 AM

By booking a guarantee you have a relatively good chance of getting an upgrade (but not guaranteed - no pun intended). Of course, there are a number of variables that enter the picture. First, your chances are better if you have made an individual booking and not part of a group. The earlier you have booked, the better. How well the cabins are selling is also a factor. Historically, the lowest price cabins and the most expensive suites are the first categories to sell out on a ship. Since the ship wants to sail full, they often continue to sell the very lowest category cabins - even if that category is technically "sold out". So, as it gets closer to the sail date those people who booked a "guarantee" are bumped up to those categories that have not sold out - to allow for more availability of the lower priced categories. Sometimes you will find out what cabin you have been assigned when you receive your documents. Sometimes, you do not find out your cabin until you get to the ship on the day of sailing.

If the ship is not sold out, when you get onboard you will have an opportunity to pay a supplement to be moved to higher category cabin. The price to upgrade varies from ship to ship, sailing to sailing and is based on a number of variables. If you wish to inquire about an upgrade, go to guest relations upon boarding the ship.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 12-09-2005, 07:36 PM

A guarantee stateroom does allow for the possibility of an upgrade, however, you have no say where the stateroom will be on deck. If you have strong desires to not be too far forward or aft then a guarantee is not always the best way to go. Most people though tend to be happy with their guarantee results. Have a good time.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:23 AM
Wahooooooooooooo got my documents today and for sure I was up graded fom upper deck to panorama, I did the kelly method, and found it last week, but was not for sure it would be the cabin as one never knows with a guarentee, but it looks to be a great spot midship, extended balcony, and best of all what a great view we will have we started with 8-a and got our 8-I counting down the days for that 80 degree weather and get out of this snow & cold yipeeeeee
Old 12-10-2005, 04:43 PM

Congrats on your upgrade Peahcrek! Boy, you and me both are looking forward to escaping the snow and cold. I'm down to the final count before I head off to Key West for a week (leave Dec. 29th) and can't wait for the 2006 cruise season to begin!
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 12-11-2005, 08:41 AM

Sarepear,
I always book a Guarantee if it is available - seem to have had good luck so far.
Suzi
Old 12-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Panorma is a great deck. I just got back from a week on the Valor with a cabin on the Panorama deck.

I booked a level 8 and was upgraded to 10 while I was still on the phone.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy June 27, 2014
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014

Past Cruises:
42 and Counting......
Old 12-28-2005, 01:59 PM

what is the secret? we are 108 days out no room assignment yet. we have a guar. cat 11 on the spirit, others have told me they have rooms assigned, but i don't per my t/a. i have read there are ways to find out, no success thus far
how do you find out?
Old 12-29-2005, 04:27 AM
Have you called Carnival directly?
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy June 27, 2014
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014

Past Cruises:
42 and Counting......
Old 12-29-2005, 05:27 AM

Dominic,
Perhaps your friends are assigned a cabin already because they booked right into an assigned cabin. Most of the time you dont't find out until you get your documents. You already are booked in a Cat 11 and don't have much room for an upgrade. The next and only level are the Penthouse suites. If I calculate right you are going right around Easter time, a very busy time and the ships will most likely be very full. The cruise line finalizes group booking around 60 days out. Once those are done then they would look at individual bookings. I would not call CCL directly.

Closed Thread

Tags
balcony, bl, bumped, carnival, chance, chances, cruise, destiny, freedom, guarantee, kelly, method, moved, review, septembeer