Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2007, 08:04 PM

As a side note I beleve that the cost of Carnival cruise very good. We went to the dominican in December and it was about 10% more for a crappy all inclusive resort (That was not all that good). Very good value for you money. They do sell you quite a bit while you are on the ship to make up for it, however at least at that point youn have a choice
Old 08-23-2007, 08:16 PM

I was surprised yesterday when I paid my final payment. I checked first to see if the price had went down like last year when I had 2 reductions and an on-board credit. No reductions or credits this year. The price had almost doubled since I booked in February. So I am glad I booked early. It is still a good value and price I would agree.

Dwayne
Old 08-24-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandCruz:
I was surprised yesterday when I paid my final payment. I checked first to see if the price had went down like last year when I had 2 reductions and an on-board credit. No reductions or credits this year. The price had almost doubled since I booked in February. So I am glad I booked early. It is still a good value and price I would agree.

Dwayne
i evenb checked in the winter time dec , i think eatly feb the cheapest little under 300 bucks
Old 08-24-2007, 08:08 AM

I Agree that the prices didnt come down this year, but as with everything prices are going up. But over all to me it is the best vacation for your money. with the food, entertainment, relaxation you want included. You can really go and spend no money above the tips if you want. It really is the best value for the money.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:17 AM

I am certainly no expert on cruises, having only one under my belt. But I did price renting a houseboat on a small lake a couple of hours away from us in TN. That simple houseboat cost more for a week than a 7 day, all-inclusive, see the world cruise for 2 to the Western Caribbean, so I'm not gonna say a word when I make the last cruise payment!

Free Cruise Tickers

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-24-2007, 09:17 AM

Perhaps the rates are going up due to lost revenue from everyone thinking they have to "sneak" liquor onboard.
There is a lot more to consider than just the rising prices of fuel and food. Consider the cost of labor and medical insurance and cost of frivolous lawsuits. Also consider all the cost that the cruise lines incur everytime an incident happens. The cruise lines often give onboard credits and refunds as a gesture of good will, when they really don't have to. All these cost are adding up.
When you consider the cost of a cruise you should consider the value of the cabin, your meals, and your entertainment. Cruising is still a good value.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:47 AM

More and more people are realizing the value in cruising and every cruise season has its own pricing puzzle. Perhaps one reason for the increase on advance bookings is to give room for the "special" pricing we have been used to seeing on cruises that don't sell out as fast. If every cruise was bottom lined, there would be no room for any incentives at all, ever.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 08-24-2007, 10:05 AM

I agree with CF completely, on all accounts. The thing nobody seems to be focusing on the the supply side of the equasion. The cruiselines are constantly releasing new ships to fill the increasing demand in the market. Those plans were made long ago to prepare for Baby Boomers beginning retirement years. The past couple of years the new ships were positioned in the high demand, low cost Caribbean market. Itins were realeased, brochures printed and final decisions made in a crystal ball type fashion in anticipation of what they "thought" would happen. Then the Caribben market went soft as people in mass chose other markets like Europe (Baltics, Med and Greek Isles all took off) even at the higher fares. This made for really attractive pricing for last minute deals in the Carib as ships were not filling as expected. The public became conditioned to wait for the last minute "Bargain" and held off on bookings. This year it backfired on the people who waited to see what would happen. Booking are up in the Carrib, way up. The cruiselines are filling ships at record pace. Many lines have moved ships to Europe, Asia and elsewhere. They've added new itins to Panama Canal, South America, Southern Carib and the old basic Bahamas, Eastern and Western Carib saings are fewer in number. This year there have been great bargains! They simply had to be booked months in advance to get them. Waiting to book this year has been costly for many. Moral of the story is book earlier, if the cruise goes up you're protected. If it drops call your T/A and have the rate adjusted. Shopping the last minute sailings is not what it used to be. The cruiseline have adapted and made early booking attractive to prevent having ships with lots of inventory near the time of sailing. We simply need to adapt to this as well.

Cheers, Neil

Sorry for long post
Old 08-24-2007, 10:28 AM

And please try to understand that just because the price goes down in one "price code", doesn't mean it went down in the price code you booked under. Cruise lines/airlines/hotels all use a method called "Yield Management". They will only sell so many Cabins/air seats/rooms at a certain rate. This is the reason for so many different prices. If you booked under price code "XYZ" doesn't mean you will get a rebate if "WXYZ" is cheaper later.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:59 PM

How can a person even keep track of the price of a Carnival cruise? The price fluctuates so much depending on how well the ship is selling out.

I have not noticed much of a price jump in the 8 years that I have been cruising. Whatever price jump there has been, has been buried in better amenities, larger ships and more lavish stage productions. Personally I don't know how Carnival has managed to keep the prices so attractive.

I think that since Carnival orders so much merchandise and food from each of its vendors, they are in an excellent position to demand the absolute best price possible.

On another note, depending on the economy, the $199 cruise may come back after the holidays. What with all of the fallout from the real estate debacle and the tightening up of credit card lending, many people may be using more of their income just to stay afloat leaving us cruise junkies to reap the benefit of slower sellout of the off-season cruises. Cruising was probably its cheapest the year or two after 9/11 when the economy for most of the country was in the toilet.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Victory, CCL Imagination, CCL Victory

Past Cruzes: RCCL Navigator, RCCL Majesty, CCL Destiny,
Glory (2007),Liberty (2007), Fantasy (2007), Destiny (2006), PofAm (2005), Inspiration (2005), Fascination (2004), Victory (2004), Fascination (2004), RCCL VOS(2003), Fantasy (1999)

Closed Thread

Tags
april, carnival, carnivals, cruise, cruises, elation, fares, fluctuate, penthouse, perks, price, prices, rates, suite, today