Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Upper and Lower Stateroom Question (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/21160-upper-lower-stateroom-question.html)

MCPayne 01-17-2009 09:04 AM

I just have a question if anyone has stayed in a stateroom with the upper and lower beds. How is this stateroom compared to the staterooms with two twin beds side by side? If I book through AAA the upper and lower bed stateroom is about $250 cheaper, and I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

Cruise Fanatic 01-17-2009 09:21 AM

Are you traveling as a single or a couple? If you are a couple I would not take an upper and lower.

MCPayne 01-17-2009 09:27 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my earlier post I would be by myself.

Cruise Fanatic 01-17-2009 09:28 AM

Then I would take it.

Dave 01-17-2009 09:31 AM

The 1A cabins are a bit smaller than the other standard cabins - I think around 170 sq ft versus 185. Not a big deal. With only one bed on the deck the usable space or "walking around" room is essentially the same. Certainly a good choice if you are going alone. If I ever go on Carnival by myself I plan to go with a 1A if the ship has them.

From various reports I've read over the years, it seems Carnival will often move people out of a 1A to a 4A if the ship isn't full.

billybuzzy 01-17-2009 11:49 AM

On some of the Carnival ships some of the 1A cabins have portholes and are located up forward in the bow! Be sure to look at the deckplan of the ship you have chosen prior to picking the cabin. (Strange- they call them inside cabins???)

For singles traveling alone you will pay at a lower rate (Usually 150% of the double passenger cost)-It can be a great cruise bargain!!

BillyBuzzy

Dwayne 01-17-2009 06:47 PM

I've stayed in a 1A before with the portholes. They are just slightly smaller as has been said. I probably wouldn't intentionally book a porthole again. That's just me though, I didn't care for the bumpy ride. For a single cruiser the 1A's are the way to go. There is a chance if you book it as a guarantee you could be bumped to a 4A. I doubt single cruisers would be the first in line for this though.

Dwayne

MCPayne 01-17-2009 07:37 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping I'll be able to do the cruise that I want (5 day Western Caribbean on the Inspiration to Grand Cayman and Cozumel), but it depends on some personal factors. I probably wouldn't be going until late summer or early fall, so I'll have to see what the rates are as it gets closer to the date.

Cruise Fanatic 01-17-2009 08:43 PM

The prices for fall should be better. It is also hurricane season. I would book early as the 1A cabins are limited.

RavenDays 01-18-2009 12:47 PM

I am booked in a 1A on the Esctasy for Feb. I will come back and give you a review of what it was like. My cabin is Aft and Starboard on the Empress Deck.