this is bascally our first curse as a family, the wife and I did a 3 day cruse 10 years ago, now we are booked on Victory sailing April 15,2007, our Kids will be 17 &9 , from your experiences please advise us also, going to St. Thomas , St. Martin, and San Juan, any ideas on things to do on those islands??
Bem1962, I am sure you miss-typed something. Was curious where you went 10 years ago and what Ship you were on? I have never taken Kids that age to those Ports and would not comment. I do suggest Magen's Bay on St. Thomas and the reccomended Ship tours.
Hi Bem, welcome to cruise chat. St. Thomas is a great place for water activities. Maagen's Bay, Coki Beach, and Trunk Bay on St. John. A sail/snorkel trip to Buck Island is also great. Maagen's Bay and Coki Beach are on St. Thomas, so you can take a cab there. To get to Trunk Bay, you'll need to catch a ferry to St. John and then take a cab to Trunk Bay. St. Maarten has some nice beaches and the snorkeling was good. The last time we were there we did the America's cup racing where you actually get to crew the sailboat. This was a ball. St. Thomas and St. Maarten are good for shopping. In San Juan, you could do a tour of Old San Juan, there is a botanical garden to visit, or depending on how long you're there, take a trip to Ponce where the locals go to the beach. Have a wonderful cruise!
Wow, I just returned 7-23 from Valor.Kids 14 & 15 enjoyed youth program. Let the carnival people take them on the excursions! Great time had by the children. Disco, Dance and Dine !! You can party til @ 10 or 11 with the uff-spring and they will be ready to rest. Keep the soda intake down or no caffiene. Tour and shop if you can! Enjoy yourself!!
We have been cruising with our 2 boys since 1998. You will all have a wonderful time.
The 9 year old will be in the 9 -11 age group for Camp Carnival. There will be a meeting the day of embarkation (usually around 7:30pm) to sign the 9 year old in. They get medical info etc. They will also give you a Caper (newsletter) that will tell you the time and location of all activities for the group for the whole week. Be aware that this age group can check themselves in and out of Camp Carnival without a parent. We never allowed ours to do that at this age, but it has to be an understanding between you and your child if you don't want them to do this.
The 17 year old will part of the Club O2. A great place to meet other kids their age and "hang out".
St Thomas and St Maarten are great places to grab a taxi and go to one of the local beaches (if that is what you are into). We have sailed from San Juan before, but never "ported" there so I have no experience with excursions. If I were going to take a "ship excursion", it would be in San Juan. Taxi strikes and other things in the past have caused some difficulties.
1. Take $50 in one dollar bills to tip room service, etc.
2. Don't be shy about ordering what you want for dinner. (2 appetizers, 2 lobsters, 3 desserts) And please...(to help your wait staff to stay on time) please always be on time for your evening meal. 5 minutes late is not bad...but waltzing in 30 minutes late is rude and inconsiderate of your table mates and servers.
3. If anyone in your family is into karaoke and you have your own CDGs...take them. Karaoke hosts in the past have always been very careful with my custom cdgs.
4. Take an extension cord with multiple plugs. There is only one electrical outlet in the room.
5. You can bring 2 / 12 packs of soda in your carry on. (especially if your kids drink as many as mine) I would not put them in the checked luggage due to all the rough luggage handling and threat of a crushed can.
6. Relax and enjoy this time with your family.
Yes, I tried to hint at it in the first reply. Talk about Karma and Subconscience. Even with my bad spelling and grammar would that come out. I think is funny too, I don't want to call anyone out for miss=spelling...but that was a DOOZY!
I wish Bem1962 well and invite to re-post, or ask another question. We are a tame lot of folks and here to help. We just have a strange sense of humor. We all miss type things, I am worst of all.
St.Thomas go to Magens Bay or take ferry to St.John for Trunk Bay.