Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Hello fellow cruise lovers!

I was hoping for some help. I have taken several cruises but only with Royal Caribbean & Princess. I am looking at a Carnival ship this time. I get so many mixed reviews. Most good reviews I get are from people that have only cruised on Carnival, so they realy have nothing to compare it to. Has anyone been on others to give me a good comparison?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much!
2012- Carnival Legend
2011- Carnival Spirit
2009- RCCL Mariner
2007- RCCL Vision
2007- RCCL Monarch
2005- RCCL Vision
2000- Princess Dawn
Old 07-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.

I've tended to split my cruises between Carnival and Royal Caribbean for the past few years. They are more alike than different when it comes to the fundamentals such as service, food, entertainment.

It should be noted that reports indicate Carnival is now spending more money per passenger on food than Royal Caribbean is, and I can tell you that based on my just-completed cruise on the Carnival Elation, I can see the difference. I was highly impressed by the dining room food on Carnival. Some of the best I've had in years, on any cruise line.

Carnival is less into nickel-and-diming. They still do it of course, but to a lesser degree.

I see you have the Carnival Spirit listed in your signature lines. The Spirit class ships are regarded by many cruisers as the best ship design in Carnival's fleet, and also the most elegant ships they have. That is my opinion too, and I think you'll be pleased.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks very much Dave! I appreciate the information. Amy
2012- Carnival Legend
2011- Carnival Spirit
2009- RCCL Mariner
2007- RCCL Vision
2007- RCCL Monarch
2005- RCCL Vision
2000- Princess Dawn
Old 07-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Administrator

There are some things on Carnival I don't care for.

I don't like singing and dancing waiters, and you'll see that in the dining room at dinner time. Thankfully it only lasts a couple minutes.

They do have lots of announcements during the day about this or that. But then, Royal Caribbean has been doing that too lately.

Carnival loves to hold bingo right before the big shows, and in the same showroom. This means if you don't go to bingo, or at least go and sit down when bingo starts, you might not find a seat for the show. The bingo people stay once the games are over. But then, once again, Royal Caribbean does this too.

But there is more to like! Carnival has great pizza and a great deli station in their buffet area. The best corned beef on rye on the high seas, and made in a sandwich press. Carnival also has oriental food on their ships, again in the buffet area. It is also high quality. If the ship has a Mongolian wok station, you are in luck. Stir-fry to order. Yum.

Carnival cabins are generally larger. They have nice duvets and pillows, and will not always as "pretty" as Royal Caribbean's cabins they are comfortable and most of all functional.

Dang. I keep talking like this and I'll have to change my booking for next summer.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:15 PM
All very good information. My husband thought the corned beef sounded good. I had heard about the singing/dancing waiters & that is a little much for me, maybe I just need to loosen up! lol & I had concerns about the "clothing optional" sun deck. Well, at least I know where my husband will be eating his corned beef sandwiches at!! :-)
Thanks for all the info, I think we will give it a try!
2012- Carnival Legend
2011- Carnival Spirit
2009- RCCL Mariner
2007- RCCL Vision
2007- RCCL Monarch
2005- RCCL Vision
2000- Princess Dawn
Old 07-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I had concerns about the "clothing optional" sun deck
Carnival doesn't have that anymore. It was removed from all ships at least two years ago. Even then it was just topless. They are now either miniature golf courses or have been made into other family-friendly areas.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Oh good, thanks!
2012- Carnival Legend
2011- Carnival Spirit
2009- RCCL Mariner
2007- RCCL Vision
2007- RCCL Monarch
2005- RCCL Vision
2000- Princess Dawn
Old 07-28-2010, 05:33 PM

The Spirit doesn't have the Mongolian BBQ. They do have Asian Delights, Rotissiere, the Steakhouse, and Sushi, in addition to the main dining room and Lido buffet.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:59 PM
We have been on 3 cruiselines,, The best is Carnival.. Food is much better. There are similar things,but we seem to have more fun on CCL. RCCL is 2nd NCL last. You can have a New York strip steak everynight on carnival for free to..

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-28-2010, 09:02 PM

I've been on Carnival, RCCL and Celebrity. I agree with everything that Dave said. I've found the food on Carnival better than RCCL, and RCCL better than Celebrity.

On a lot of the Carnival cruises, the waiters did sing and dance every night after dinner. I didn't like that at all. However, on our last cruise on the Victory, they only sang one or two nights.

Dave's right about the Bingo and the announcements on RCCL and CCL. The one thing I liked about Celebrity was the lack of annoying announcements. The most annoying anouncements are the ones given by annoying CDs. If I like the Cruise Director, then the announcements don't bother me quite as much.

The cabins on Carnival seem to be a bit a larger to me than the ones on RCCL. We always get a balcony, so that's whay I'm comparing. They aren't huge by any means, but they are a bit bigger. And, the beds are more comfortable. Carnival updated their beds, I believe, and the last time I was on RCCL, they hadn't done it yet.

I think you'll enjoy CCL a lot.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Closed Thread

Tags
bbq, carnival, ccl, clothing, deck, embarkation, ensenada, miami, mongolian, ncl, norwe, optional, rccl, spirit, sun