Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 05:15 AM

Just got a fax yesterday from Carnival. They changed our itinerary from Freeport, Grand Cayman and Costa Maya to Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios.
Now I have to check out all the excursions for Ocho Rios! Any suggestions? We have done Key West twice already and I have Grand Cayman planned.
Oh well - Costa Maya another time!

Read and post cruise reviews

St. Maarten Hotels & Resorts

2003 Carnival Victory - Western
2004 Carnival Celebration
2005 Carnival Glory - Western
2006 Carnival Glory - Eastern
2007 Carnival Liberty - Western
2008 Star Princess - Alaska
Old 02-16-2007, 05:45 AM
Banned

Loved Dunns River Falls. Although, we weren't particularly thrilled with Jamaica on the whole. Here's our story...

We hired a reputable tour company on the suggestion of a friend who has worked with this man and his company on many trips there. He even has a website set up. I booked through that. We did not get his price in writing before we left home. That was my mistake. He overcharged us when he took us back to the ship. During our tour, my husband needed to go to the bank to get the additional $ I along with our 2 daughters stayed with the tour guide in his vehicle while my husband went into do the banking. Our tour guide, who seemed to know everyone in town, noticed a bank security man hanging around outside. He was wearing regular clothes with combat boots. He followed my husband down an alleyway to the bank. I didn't know anything different or odd. You think you're going to be safe when you're with a tour guide in his country. All of the sudden, our tour guide jumps out of the van and says something to the effect of, "he's got a gun". My heart almost came out of my chest. He ran very fast towards the alleyway. Come to find out, this guy was a local thug. I could see and hear from the window that our tour guide was speaking Jamaican to him. It could have very easily been a very different story. You're in their country. You play by their rules. Not really sure if any "laws" apply in Jamaica. My husband nearly had a heart attack because he had a sense of what was going on as he was walking. We have no interest in going back to Jamaica. It is a beautiful country. But, one event like that spoils it. My advice would be is to stick to an excursion offered through the ship. Be careful and be safe.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:30 AM

Thanks A;ndrea - EXCELLENT ADVISE! I will most definitely stick with the ship excursions. My sister mentioned something about Dunns River Falls so I might check out those excursions.

Thanks again

Old 02-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Too bad about missing Costa Maya, but I'd take Key West over Freeport any day.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:15 AM

Anything is better than freeport even a day at sea
Old 02-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Administrator

One thing I'll always remember about Key West - on every cruise we've taken that stopped there, one of the small boats used to take up the mooring lines of our ship had a yellow labrador retriever aboard. That ol' dog would bark up a storm! It was something that I started looking forward to, and it never failed - that same boat and dog greeted me every time. 5 times so far. I wonder if he is still alive and kicking?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:10 AM

Dave - I will definitely check for the dog! Wouldn't that be wild if he was still alive and "barking"

Old 02-16-2007, 08:21 AM

You guys have so much knowledge!
Old 02-16-2007, 01:46 PM

Cruizinallthetime- I'm with Mr October on this.. Not having FreePort in the package is a HUGE plus to me. I would bother getting off the ship in Freeport. I'd rather have Costa Maya than Ocho Rios, but I'd say you are better off with the new itinerary.

Dunns River falls is a good excursion, The Jungle Canopy Zip line is good one too. Stay away from shopping if you can. Can't help you in Key West but I would say to get a key Lime Pie at least.

And we definetly want a report on Dave's dog!
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 02-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Banned

Jim C. is right on! Don't leave Key West without having a piece of key lime pie. I consider mine to be one of the best. There's put mine to shame.

Closed Thread

Tags
2007, carnival, changed, itinerary, liberty