Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2005, 06:49 PM

Newcruiser:

I know exactly how you feel..about being worried about being seasick and that good stuff. I don't get carsick. I can't say if I get air sick because i've never been on an airplane before.

Take the free cruise and go!!

I know i'm getting exactly about our first. At least this time, I got to talk to a vacation planner from Carnival,so it's starting to sink in..lol..

patty
Old 12-01-2005, 10:48 PM

I get seasick as well and bonine works like a charm. I take them in the morning just to be safe but really there is so much to see and do - I think you will be too distracted to think about it.This is a BIG ship and your chances are already greatly reduced for seasickness.
I know you will have a great time , it is SO much FUN!! Go ahead , give it a try -how will you ever know if you don't try it?

Please let us know if you decide to go..
Old 12-05-2005, 12:48 AM

I hope you decided to go. You will have a wonderful time. Don't worry about your children. They will have a wonderful time with Grandma and Grandpa and it will be a vacation for the children as well; after all, Grandma will let them do all kinds of things that you won't.

My wife and I have traveled--without children--on at least one week long vacation every year for the last 11 years since our first child was born. Our children love spending time with their grandparents.

I grew up in a family where my parents took at least one vacation a year without the children. My parents were always so much happier when they came back, that we loved to see them go. So please go and do not feel guilty about leaving your children. And don't worry about them either; after all, your parents managed to raise you and I am sure they can handle your children for a week.

All of the people already gave you good advice on what to take for motion sickness. I find that I always feel a little queasy on the first night of a cruise but that it quickly passes.

We will be going on the same ship in February. Have a wonderful trip.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:00 AM

Thanks FarmerJohn! It's so nice to hear from other parents! I know my kids will have a great time! We sure do deserve a get away!!

Thanks for all the wonderful advice!
Old 12-11-2005, 09:56 PM

YOU ARE IN FOR A REAL VACATION. WE ARE NOT BOATERS AND WE WERE ALSO AFRAID OF SEA SICKNESS BUT HAVE BEEN ON TEN CRUISES NOW AND HAVE NEVER GOTTEN SICK ONCE. THE TRICK IS TO KEEP YOUR STOMACH FULL OF FOOD, NOT LIQUIDS, AND GO OUTSIDE OFTEN (THERE ARE A NUMBER OF DECKS WHERE YOU CAN GO OUT IN THE AIR). YOUR HEAD TELLS YOUR BODY THAT YOU ARE ON A BOAT AND YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO ROCK A LITTLE. AND YOUR QUEEZY FEELING WILL GO AWAY.

WE JUST GOT OFF THE LIBERTY YESTERDAY AND IT IS A BEAUTIFUL SHIP. EVERY EVENING THEY WILL GIVE YOU A CARNIVAL CAPER NEWSPAPER LISTING ALL EVENTS FOR THE NEXT DAY. YOU CAN PLAN YOUR DAY THE NIGHT BEFORE IF YOU WISH. YOU CANNOT POSSIBLE GO TO ALL THE EVENTS SO JUST PICK OUT THE ONES YOU THINK SOUND FUN OR YOU MAY CHOOSE TO DO NOTHING BUT SWIM IN THE 3 POOLS ALL DAY.
THAT IS WHAT IS NICE ABOUT A CRUISE. YOU CAN DO SOMETHING ALL THE TIME OR DO NOTHING AT ALL.

A BALCONY CABIN IS NICE. WHEREAS MOST ROOMS HAVE A WINDOW TO SEE OUTSIDE, YOU WILL HAVE A DOOR THAT OPENS TO A SMALL BALCONY WHERE YOU CAN SIT OUT THERE IN THE EVENING OR TAKE PICTURES COMING INTO DOCK.

THE LIBERTY HAS FREE 24 HR ROOM SERVICE, 24 HR PIZZA, ICE CREAM & FROZEN YOGURT, COFFEE, TEA AND JUICES.

THERE WAS A LOT OF GOOD SINGERS AND ENTERTAINERS ALSO.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:00 AM

Newer, I hope you decided to go on the cruise! Think of it as a free week in Las Vegas, all meals and entertainment included, in a room with a balcony. On the larger ships, of which the Liberty is one, most of the time you won't even know you're on a ship unless you go outside and look past the railing! It will FEEL like a Las Vegas vacation!

As for the kids, we used to leave our 3 with my parents once a year so we could cruise. It made me feel better to leave detailed, day-by-day instructions as to who had to be where, when. Also, which days the trash got collected, etc. I'd pre-arrange all my carpools such that the kids could be picked up as often a possible, since my folks came in from another city and didn't know their way around this area that much. In those days, I'd spend a fortune a couple of times a week to call home and make sure all was well. These days, you could stay in touch by email (ships have internet cafes!) and the peace of mind you get from knowing all is well at home will allow you to enjoy the cruise even more.

I'm betting you'll love the cruise and will want to plan another, and bring the kids along next time. You heard it here first!

Sandy
Old 12-12-2005, 09:18 AM

Good advice.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:22 AM

Hi all! Yes, I am still reading your advice...and yes, we are still going on the cruise! Now, I am really starting to get excited!! I have started "shopping" for things to wear...is that BAD???? LOL
Old 12-28-2005, 02:29 PM

Hi Newer...I hope you'll go on this cruise because I'LL BE ON THERE WITH YOU!!!!! Yes, I am also a first time cruiser and won this cruise for 2 from Ft Lauderdale on 1/29/06 on the infamous Liberty from my company! I can't wait! I have lots of questions also but am learning a lot on this website and got the book Cruise Vacations for Dummies 2005 which is worth the $15 I paid to learn all the stuff no one tells you.

This website is great as well but I can't find a whole lot of info on the Liberty because she is so new. Has anyone sailed on her to the Western Carribean? I'm sure we will be rescheduled to Costa Maya as well as those others but have not heard that from our Tour Guide for sure. I want to swim with the dolphins and parasail, does anyone know the best places to do these things in Freeport, Grand Caymen and/or Costa Maya or Cozumel?

I know there will be 3000 people on the ship but I hope you will join your husband and forget about getting sick or missing the kids...it'll all still be there when you get back! For me this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and the first thing of any real value that I've ever won so you can bet I'll be there with bells on and dancing on the tables if they'll let me!! ha ha

Good Luck and have a great time!
Old 01-11-2006, 09:26 AM

You are in for the treat of your life! I just returned off of the Liberty on Sunday, 7th, and had the time of my life. Two suggestions - First, patience, patience, patience. Second, your vacation is what you make of it. We stopped in Freeport, Bahamas; Grand Cayman (tendered stop) and Montego Bay, Jamaica. We had a balcony cabin - worth the extra money to me - I'm from Idaho, and I love the ocean. If you have ever seen a dog with his head out of a moving vehicle window, that was what I looked like all week. Sea sickness did not bother me, but was noticible in the dining areas (Silver dining, Richard and Vit were to die for! Excellent service!) and in the bathroom. We had smooth waters pretty much the whole time, though. If you want a deck chair, better get one saved by 6am or so - ridicuolous! They say that they don't allow chair-saving, but they weren't controlling it. It didn't bother me, because I had a balcony, and was much too busy to sun-bathe! Butch, ***'t Activity Director, is a hoot! Go see the not-so-newly wed game! We purchased a soda/pop card for dang near 40$ - we did not drink 40$ soda, and there is water, juice, ice tea, coffee in Emily's (buffet) 24/7. Would not do that again. Great fish and chips on upper level of Emily's (towards the back of the ship) Hard to find! Pizza 24/7 pretty good! Have a great time, and I'm so jealous!

Closed Thread

Tags
bahamas, freeport, motion, ocean