Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2005, 07:32 AM

Hi everyone! I have an oppertunity to take my first cruise the end of January on the Liberty out of Fort Lauderdale.

I know NOTHING about cruises...but I do know that I get very sea sick on boats! Please don't laugh...I don't know if people get sick on cruises???

I have only been on one big boat, on a day cruise type of thing to the Bahamas..I remember feeling queezy, just for a bit.

This cruise would be without my kids...first time away from them for a week! I don't know if I could do it!!!

Plus, I am not a "party" type girl...is a cruise right for me??

Any help in the right direction to find out more info about the Liberty...or cruises in general would be appreciated!!

I would also love to see some pictures inside a cruise ship! I have NEVER seen a room...oh, by the way, our cabin would be a balcony cabin...are they all that way?? What exactly does that mean?

Thanks again!!
Old 11-29-2005, 08:59 AM

newercruiser:

I've never been on a cruise myself. I"m taking to take my first one in June(fingers crossed). What I do know is that there are different types of staterooms. There is an inside stateroom,an oceanview stateroom and of course there are the balconys,which I hear are beautiful. There are also suits on some ships. I hope you have a wonderful time. I know there are some medications available for sick sickness,but i'm sure other people on this board can tell you more about that than I can.

patty
Old 11-29-2005, 01:48 PM
you can always stop by the pursers desk they have a type of dramamine that is chewable, and FREE and take it in the morning with breakfast and if need be again at dinner, if you feel you may get seasick I have been on 6 cruise and got sick on 2 one was in rough storm seas and the other was because the Captain had the ship moving at a high speed to get us into port by 3:00 am which I still do not know why he was in such a hurry, we were not due back into port till 6 am so we were pretty shaken by the movement of the speed more then the movement of ocean, green apples are also good for seasickness that was told to me by the waiters and waitress on board because they too some times get seasick, I am enclosing a address that gives you virtual tours of cabins and ships hope you enjoy http://www.virtualtoursusa.com/galleryships.htm
Old 11-29-2005, 02:32 PM

A boat around the Bahamas is no comparison to a cruise ship. I have been on a 40-footer off Newport, RI and got very queasy, but have rarely experienced seasickness on a cruise ship - and I can get sick in the back seat of a car!

There are several good remedies for motion sickness. One is non-drowsy Dramamine, also sold as Bonine, and available over the counter. That one works best for me. Others use ginger (or ginger ale), special wristbands which push on a pressure point on your wrist, or a patch, which must be prescribed by a doctor. The first two don't work for me, but I have friends who swear by them. The last I have not tried, but knew fellow passengers who did, and had trouble getting them to stick after they took a shower.

Anyway, don't worry about it, but speak with your doctor, and take along a supply of one or more remedies. Then just relax and enjoy!

As for your other questions, do ask your travel agent (if you booked through one). You can see some pictures on the Carnival website too, which might give you a kind of idea what it looks like, but no picture can do a cruise ship justice. Prepare to be overwhelmed (but happily so)!

Definitely check the link to the packing lists on cruisereviews.com, and again ask your travel agent for information of what to take. There will be two formal nights, when you will need dressier clothes (cocktail dress or really nice pantsuit - something you might wear to a wedding or New Year's Eve dance); otherwise evening wear is relatively casual but not "grubby" - no jeans, shorts or t-shirts in the dining room for dinner. Slacks, sundresses, polo shirts & blouses, etc. are all acceptable on the non-formal nights. Bring a sweater or light jacket as it can get cool onboard. Bring your credit card, as you will need it to establish your onboard account, to which you will charge alcoholic & soft drinks, shore excursions, onboard gift shop purchases, gratuities for the wait staff and your cabin steward (who work very hard and are paid very little), etc. Also have some cash on hand for souvenirs in the ports, tips for baggage porters, etc.

Even if you're not a "party type," a cruise is very enjoyable - especially with a balcony cabin! You will get very spoiled - it's tough to enjoy a less-expensive cabin after having your own balcony. Try ordering room service breakfast (included in the cruise price, 24/7, though you will need to tip the crew member that brings it) and enjoying the breakfast on your balcony. Be sure to watch your arrival in and departure from ports from your balcony - lots of fun, in my opinion!

Have a wonderful time!
Old 11-29-2005, 04:23 PM

To Karen, peachcrek, and cruisenewbie...Thank you all so much, and especially to Karen the moderator for taking such great lengths to describe a cruise for me!!! I know you must repeat that over and over again for new cruisers, so I truly appreciate it

I was offered to go along with my husband, who is taking the cruise as a work related conference...otherwise we would probably not be able to afford a balcony cabin (especially for our first cruise!)

I have till Friday to decide whether or not I want to join him...I am just so worried about feeling sick for the whole week!! How awful would that be??????

And, I have read how some feel the effects after the cruise is over!! How dreadful!!

I am sure that I am totally overthinking the whole thing...and most of you are probably thinking..."is she crazy, it's a free cruise!!"

Like the other poster, I, too, get queezy in the backseat of a car...LOL

But, thanks for all the info to ponder! You all have been so nice to answer my questions!!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 02:56 AM
my gosh girl go for it!!!! you will have a great time and sea sickness is the least of your worries, you never mentioned where they were going? what Itinerie, you are going to become hooked, I get carsick sitting in the passenger side of the car and I also tend to get get airsick but I take my dramamine with me, and most of the time I do not need it, but have it just in case, I too was afraid of the seasickness but you will never know you are on water, sometimes the seas are so calm and its is like being lulled to sleep at nite I sleep with our balcony door open so I can feel the fresh sea air and hear the water as we push on to our next adventure, I got hooked after the first cruise on the small Celebration, I live for the next one!!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 06:41 AM

Hi peachcrek!

I know everyone thinks I'm crazy for considering not even going!!! LOL It's a complimentary trip and I know I should just go for it!!!

There is also the issue of my kids, they are young, 7 and 5. My parents can stay at our house and take them to school and stuff...but it is still weird thinking of being away from them for a week...I know, I know....I deserve it!!

Also, the cruise is a Western Caribbean cruise, and again...I know NOTHING about cruises, so all I know about that is that it's Bahamas, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

We live in FL so it's only a 2 hour drive to the port...that's not an issue.

But I will gladly accept any more info or advice that you have to offer!!

Oh, I checked out that website you listed, but I wasn't able to view any of the "clips"...I don't know why...?? But thanks!!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:07 AM

I too can understand your concern, but peachcrk is right - go for it!! A free cruise in a balcony cabin - don't turn it down. Take some Bonine along with you, don't focus on your motion sickness, and just go and enjoy. You have several advantages - with the balcony cabin you can get fresh air anytime (should the idea of being in a closed cabin bother you - though they are well ventilated and air conditioned) and since you are not into partying, you have a nice quiet place to spend some time. I have found that watching the horizon on a rough day really helps, and you can do that all day long from a balcony!

You have some good ports to enjoy too. Grand Cayman is quite recovered after its 2004 hurricane (don't worry, you won't have any of those storms in January!) and is a lovely island with some fun things to do. Cozumel is recovering, and if you do stop there, you will be welcomed heartily by the locals. I don't know where in the Bahamas you are stopping - Nassau, most likely, or possibly Grand Bahama or a "private island" - but those will be good too.

As far as the aftereffects of being on a ship, yes you will feel a little bit of motion afterwards for several days, but it's nothing to worry about. I just laugh it off now - think of it as a gentle reminder of the wonderful time you will have had on the cruise.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:12 PM
I have all my faith in you as a women, you will not turn this down and after going you will come home and start searching for your next cruise, so you can take the kids along because they to will have a blast. it is the best vacation going, all you can eat, being waited on and not cleaning up after everyone for a week they clean up after YOU!!! lol thats the greatest part,you will be catered to, even in the dining room you are treated like a queen and if you have your kids along they are treated like little ladies and gentlemen. My grand-daughter shocked me when I took her with me, I did not know she had such good manners the waiters brought that out of her!! what a breath of fresh air. you will be fine take it as it comes and relax and enjoy yourself, kids will be fine with grandma, and maybe next cruise grandma will want to go to. lol Fran sorry the site did not work for you try this see if it works http://www.7blueseas.com/default.asp
Old 11-30-2005, 05:17 PM
http://www.cruisesinc.com/travel/cru...tours.jsp?pg=0 here is another site you can check out virtual

Closed Thread

Tags
bahamas, freeport, motion, ocean