Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 04:54 AM
Administrator

Of course you'd have to be careful about the order, but how about bringing along some ice in another baggie to keep things cool?

I know a lot of people think mayonnaise primarily spoils by not being refrigerated - but I read an article last summer that said there is enough acid in mayo to ****** spoilage for a good while at room temperature. The report said people who claim they got sick from bad mayo actually got sick from the other ingredients in the sandwich/salad/whatever - such as improperly cleaned lettuce.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:32 AM

Quote:
bring ziploc bags. order room service before u go on your excursion and pack sandwiches in the little baggies. this way you dont have to pay for food on land because you know they charge you an arm and a leg in those tourist areas
WOW What a Brain On this Girl Excelent Idea.

Order the Sandwiches Dry and get Mayo or mustard Packs from the Buffet room. and while your there grab some fruit and cookies.
17 you my dear are a genious (sp)
Old 12-13-2006, 05:54 AM
Banned

Please reconsider this choice. Only factory sealed foods should ever be removed from the ship. (cereal, chips)

You won't get stopped (because they don't xray your bag leaving the ship) but ports ask that you not bring foods off the ship (especially fruits and vegetables) that are not factory sealed to prevent any microbes coming into the port that they do not want.

I don't begin to understand the world of "risks" where food is concerned, but apparently things that we don't even think of can be harmful to these islands. I am sure they have a reason for their restrictions.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
Of course you'd have to be careful about the order, but how about bringing along some ice in another baggie to keep things cool?
A baggie of ice?

It would prolly work on the Alaska Cruises. It would most certainly result in a soggy Backpack on most Carribean Cruises.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:45 AM

yeah i know its a good idea, we only thought of it last year though. coulda saved money on previous cruises. yeah i think we did ask for little packets of mustard and mayo on the side, cuz it makes the sanwich soggy and thats nasty.
people people, stop being such worry warts. have you every taken sandwiches to the beach? went on a picnic? its the same thing. and we bring bottled water from the ship. whats not safe about that? i dont get it? well im not dead yet
Old 12-13-2006, 06:54 AM
Administrator

I believe the rules are for unprocessed fruit and plants - because they may have diseases which could spread to the local crops. I've never been told or otherwise read that a ham sandwich was forbidden.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:32 AM

lol "the forbidden ham sandwich"
Old 12-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 17andacruiseaddict:
lol "the forbidden ham sandwich"
That was some great idea to bring room service food on picnic. I will do that next time.

But I have some other advise for the packers. Assuming you are going with at least 1 friend, put at least one outfit in each others bag. Airlines and Ships have on ocassion lost luggage and this way you have at least 1 thing to wear.

And put a copy of your passport (the photo page) in your luggage. If your passport gets lost it really helps with the embassys. I know, my wife was robbed in Paris France and had her copy, made it much easier and so simple a thing.

Also I like to bring formal wear. Tux and Kilt. I don't get much opportunity to really dress up to the nines. It is fun, good pictures of you all dressed up. Try it, you'll be glad your dressed for at least one formal night.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:42 PM

I suggest that when you pack you put everything in plastic or ziplock bags so nothing gets ruined. Your luggage might be dropped on a wet tarp or worse dropped in the ocean at the pier accidently while it's being loaded. (I've seen this happen.) You could also pack everything is a large trash bag and then place it in your suitcase if you want to do a bulk packing, but still trying to protect your belongs.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:01 PM

Listen to CruiseDad on having a copy of your passport. My wife unknowingly packed my passport in our luggage. OK...I didn;t have it where it was supposed to be! Anyway, I had a copy in my wallet and went right through Customs without a hitch. Could have been much worse having to unpack everything and look for it not knowing where it was packed.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination