Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 08:40 AM

I know I am on a cruise when I pack my suitcases into the car early in the morning and head for the port! Relaxation instantly sets in.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:03 AM

I'm ready to board the moment I book, however, I relax and feel confident that the cruise is really going to happen when I step on board the ship and hear, "Welcome Aboard". Even if my bags don't make it, I did. Then when the cast the lines and you hear the horn blasts, you know you're on your way
Old 09-08-2008, 06:25 AM

Yes, Penny! Welcome Aboard are the magic words for me too!

I get stressed driving or flying. So, when I step on board..it is reality.

I can physically feel the stress leave my body that has built up since my last cruise. I had hives once for nine months. They never could give an exact diagnosis for the reason, and said it was from stress. I swear this is true, they went away after getting on the ship.

Of course, the traditional Doc Dance ain't bad either.

Dwayne
Old 09-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Dwayne- I am retired USAF but a former midshipman. I love both the sea and flying-still commercial aviation has become far too stressful in recent years hence-whenever we cruise we choose to go by rail to our place of embarkation/debarkation! Totally stress free travel-It makes the glow of the cruise last far longer!

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Rail isn't a real option for most people in the U.S. For instance, in Alabama there are three AMTRAK stops and the nearest one to us is 100 miles away. I happen to be a rail fan so I envy you Billy.

Commercial air is such a hassle these days. It isn't the flying that bothers me. It is the hassle of getting from your car to the gate, the misguided security doctrine of TSA, the fight for overhead bins, etc.

For us it is the first sight of the ship that sets the mood. On my little jaunt on the Sovereign last month it was dicey as to whether I'd get there. All because TS Fay was just sitting there over Port Canaveral. But I did get there. As we rode over the causeway and got our first glimpse of the Sovereign the whole bus cheered. We knew we were going on a cruise.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:38 PM

We usually stay at a hotel the day before the cruise. That is when we feel like we are on our way.
In California rail is out. To get from Fresno to LA we would have to take the rail, change to bus and then rail again... no thanks. Plus the cost is not user friendly.

I really wish rail was better. We have checked into Amtrac for several trips, but it is always way over priced.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:36 PM
I hate flying with a passion. I may never get on a plane again, and that's fine by me. We've been driving, but taking a train sounds fun and relaxing!

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 09-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Gary- We are fortunate to live inthe Northeast rail corridor, as a result we have very good and reasonably convenient access to all modes of transport. Amtrak rates for seniors are reasonable and though some of the rail stations are dated-free parking is a plus!
Our high cost of living is a minus however-
rail is a nice stress free way of getting to the ship-

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-08-2008, 07:45 PM

We looked into taking Amtrak to Seattle area. it just did not make sense. One would think they would make it easier and a little cheaper for us in the West.
i would love to set back and let someone else do the driving....

Old 09-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Cortney -It beats driving into NYC by a mile-not to mention what is saved on NYC Parking Fees!We save the cost of the rail fare by utilizing the free parking!We have also used the Bus Co. recommended by the Cruiselines. Rail has been more economical!

BillyBuzzy

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruisin, deck, im, lido, lyrics, review