Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007, 07:26 PM

I've seen online that Carnival will sell you 4 drink coupons (bar credit) for $21.25. This amounts to about $5.31 per drink. I was thinking about buying a few of these, but have no idea how much the average bar drinks cost. We're going on the Carnival Liberty 8 day Eastern on 12/8/07. Does anyone know how much the average beer/wine/mixed drink is? Are these worth it, or should I just buy drinks on board?

I know the other option is to smuggle, but I'm interested in the answer to the question above.
Someone, please help a novice out here.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:57 PM

This is the menus in the Cabin. I think the prices are the same.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:43 PM

Gary, It looks current to me.

The only thing I could add is the current Drink of the Day with the souvenir glass (actually plastic) is $6.95 before the 15% automatic gratuity. The regular glass is $3.75 plus the gratuity. Bloody Mary's are on Special daily from 9-11 AM for $3.95 plus the gratuity.

The Bar Credit Coupons are for gifts. They are exactly the same as buying on board.

Dwayne
Old 11-30-2007, 09:56 AM

ftltravelcpl - good idea, but I dont think you can save money that way. I received some bar coupons as a gift on my last cruise. On the coupon itself, there is a limit on how much the drink can cost, preventing you from making any sort of gain. You can, however, buy cheaper drinks with it, so make sure you try to maximize the value of each coupon.

I actually made a game of it - I tried to find a drink that was as close as possible to the coupon limit, without going over, so I knew I was getting the best value.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:27 AM

Those coupons are not meant to be a value, rather a way for friends or family or perhaps a T/A (as a reward for loyal clients) to provide a gift for passengers as a bon voyage gift. The only benefit to buying one for yourself on a cruise is to get some of the expense of the vacation out of the way up front if you'd like. The daily specials without the souvenier glass are typically the best value. They're usually some kind of tropical fruit mixer (mango, pappaya, etc.), usually frozen, with rum or tequilla. A tropical name and often very good when you're heading to a tropical destination. They just kind of fit with the steel drums and other themes onboard.

Cheers, Neil
Old 11-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Those are current prices. I know we've had endless debates here in the past about the coupon value. You can't get a good image of them on the Carnival website, but it looks to me like it says the total value of the 4 coupons is $14.50. I am going to order some the next time I'm on Carnival so I can finally figure this out!
Old 11-30-2007, 02:09 PM

If I remember correctly the card as no cash value. So if you do not use up the entire card, you lose money. Don't buy more than you plan to drink.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:19 PM

Wow,
I'm so glad there's a good wealth of knowledge on here. Thanks for the answers so far, and keep them coming if there are any more.
Alan
Old 12-01-2007, 12:18 AM

The coupons are here on Carnival's site.

They have the price at $21.25 and are inclusive of gratuity and (Delivery Fees).

I was trying to do the math and did not see the Delivery Fees. I could not get it to balance before I saw this. Unless they have raised the drink prices during the last few weeks, I think the Bar Credit Coupons cost more than buying a drink on board.

JMHO,

Dwayne
Old 12-16-2007, 01:20 PM

Hello all,
We've just returned from our Liberty 8 Day Eastern Cruise. Had a wonderful time and I can now answer my own question with complete certainty.

The only way to make the bar credit coupons work in your favor (economically speaking) is to purchase drinks that cost exactly 5.25. There aren't too many. However, the coupon mentions that it covers gratuity (which is usually automatically added at 15%). So, you save 15% every time you order a drink if it costs $5.25.

It doesn't work economically in other situations. For example, many drinks were $3.75. The coupon would cover the drink and 15% gratuity, and you would get no change back.

Another example, You order the drink of the day with a souvenir cup for $6.75, or $7 something (it's a blur), you would owe the ship the difference.

We tried to combine some coupons on several occasions to purchase a bottle of wine, but the bar server in the dinning room would not let us. Maybe they didn't know we could, or you just can't.

Either way, we had a great time and now you (and I know).

It seems to make sense to buy 4-8 coupons and then throughout the cruise, use them on the drinks that at at least 5.25. Use your sail & sign card for the rest.

Closed Thread

Tags
bar, biy, carnival, coupons, credit, credits, cruise, drinks, gift, gifts, give, lines, purchase, work, worth