Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 11:26 AM

I have 12 days to my cruise to Colon,Limon and Belize. I've been having a hard time finding excursions that are of the relaxing type. I'm looking for some suggestions. As usual, I'm seeing alot of the "Don't rome around on your own" and "it's a very dangerous place for tourists" type stuff. I'm looking for some input on these ports from people that have experienced them. Thanks,Tom
Old 10-16-2008, 11:56 AM

I can only speak for Belize as I have never been to the others. I wouldn't say Belize is a "dangerous" place for tourists. Yes, they are poor but I never felt threatened while there. I would equate it to going to Jamaica. As far as excursions, we enjoyed the cave tubing, very relaxing. Next time we will go to the reef and try snorkeling there.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-16-2008, 12:31 PM

not sure the cave tubing is back up in belize at the womans death in sept. you might like bannister island excursion in belize
Old 10-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Snorkeling there is great, there was an excursion to Goff's Cay that was pretty good. Snorkeling and several hours on the beach at the private Cay.

I have had people that live there and one that lives here now tell me to stay out of Belize city. Can't say from first hand experance though.
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 10-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by tompands:
I have 12 days to my cruise to Colon,Limon and Belize. I've been having a hard time finding excursions that are of the relaxing type. I'm looking for some suggestions. As usual, I'm seeing alot of the "Don't rome around on your own" and "it's a very dangerous place for tourists" type stuff. I'm looking for some input on these ports from people that have experienced them. Thanks,Tom
Hey Tom...

We are headed to Colon as well...but not until Thanksgiving.

If you could report back when you get home, I would greatly appreciate it.

We have a special needs son and can't do excursions (they last to long)...so we are wanting to grab a taxi to Gatun locks. The drivers stay with you and it should cost around $40.00 for 4 hours.

I am reading that you book the taxi through the taxi desk at Colon2000 (which I HOPE is where we are docking).

The drive to the Gatun locks is 30 minutes each way and they have a platform you can watch the ships to through from.

Several travel spots say not to WALK (even during the day) in Colon....but that taxis are ok. The taxi drivers are a little more aggressive than some folks like...which is why I hope we dock at Colon2000. They have a taxi DESK there that eliminates having to deal with just a taxi driver. The DESK books the taxi for you. You can get a cheaper rate directly from the driver...but you lose that little extra safety net of someone else looking over his shoulder!

BELIZE: We have been there many times over the years. We were just there in May.

As far as Belize goes, there is a tour operator named Gilley (Gilbert Young is his full name). He has a kiosk in The Village (which is what they call the area inside the fence where the tenders drop you off). His kiosk is at front of the Wet Lizard (which is a restaurant). You can stop and book all kinds of tours with him right off the ship.

If you do want to do the cave tubing...I can recommend Yhoni with cave-tubing.com without hestitation as well. Yes, the lady that died was a tragedy. But she was on a Carnival tour and they do not "link".

Yhoni has everyone "linked" with one guide per linked group. It is $45.00 (plus a little tip for your guide. On the day the Legend was there, the first run left at 9:15am. and he had hubby and oldest son back to the port by 2:30pm.

I have been following his business for at least 2 years on various boards and there is not one single report of anyone missing the ship. He has a great reputation. Yes, he has cancelled trips when the mountain runoff was to great.

As long as you stay within The Village you will be ok. I even walked out the sliding doors and across the street to the Iguana Rama by myself without hesitation. However, you do not want to go more than a block or two from The Village Entrance.

Thanks for any "first hand" info you can bring back about Colon.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:39 PM
tompands - You might consider touring the Mayan Ruins at Altun Ha in Belize which normally will include a tour of Belize City. You will travel by A/C equipped motorcoach out to the edge of the jungle-You gain a good understanding of Central America in the process! It is relaxing,educational and interesting!

BillyBuzzy
Old 10-19-2008, 01:27 PM

We enjoyed our trip to Altun Ha very much; very comfortable trip and very interesting, not expensive as a ship-board shore excursion.

We found Belize not at all like Jamaica, which we thought was very aggressive and you had to be protected behind barbed wire to be safe.

Belize still carries its British heritage and is trying very hard to appeal to the cruise tourist.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:36 AM

Thanks all for your comments and LHP, I will let you know what I find. I guess we will just play it by ear as always.

I was hoping for a comment from DAVE,but I guess he's too busy.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I was hoping for a comment from DAVE,but I guess he's too busy.
Actually I am. I am in the middle of working a consultant contract and haven't been around the forum very much as of late.

Beyond that, I've only been to Belize 3 times and only once each to those other places - not enough to recommend one thing over another. I liked Limon best of the three. We did the pineapple plantation tour.

Closed Thread