Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Administrator

I've been informed of some problems on the current cruise of the Carnival Splendor.

1. In Puerta Vallarta the Splendor had a minor collision with the Radiance Of The Seas. This dented the RCI ship and damaged some rails on the Splendor.

2. Yesterday (a couple days after the collision) the Captain of the Splendor had a heart attack and was transferred to a hospital in Cabo San Lucas. It appears the Staff Captain assumed command. No word on the other Captain's condition.

3. As a result of the medical evacuation the ship left port late and is not due in to Los Angeles until 1pm local time. Boarding for the next cruise will commence at approximately 5pm this afternoon.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Wow! Passengers on the Splendor will have some stories to tell. I do hope the Captain is okay. Cabo San Lucas, although a beautiful port, is not where I would want to be treated for a serious heart condition.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:57 PM

I sure hope the Captain is okay as well. Carnival ships seem to be banging into Royal Caribbean ones of late.

Dwayne
Old 11-30-2009, 05:23 AM

I hope he is ok too. I think back to my last cruise on the Glory and gentleman had a heart attack the night before we arrived at cozumel and the ship was able to care for well enough to wait until we got to cozumel the next morning to be taken ashore. So I am hoping the ships dr. could do the same for the Captain.
all of the ships colliding makes me wonder if the waters were a whole lot choppy.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:49 AM

I sure hope his heart attack wasn't caused from banging into RCI's ship. I sure pray he's ok. I agree with f-mattox, I wouldn't want to be in Cabo with any serious medical problems.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:45 PM

I've not seen any reports from the major cruise news outlets yet. According to my sources, the Captain's condition wasn't connected to the minor bump. The Harbor Pilot was most likely doing the maneuvering at the time it happened. The Radiance only had a small dent on the bow of the ship.

This is the Splendor after. Mostly some railing damage.

Dwayne
Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the picture, Dwayne. I'm glad to hear it wasn't caused from the stress of the bump. Sure hope everything will be fine.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:07 AM

I hope it wasn't either. I doubt the sources I heard that from are Doctors though, so it probably was conjecture. It looks like the Lobby and Atlantic decks were the ones bumped. If this would have been on one of the Fantasy class ships with the new balconies it most likely would have been them. Can you imagine sitting on your balcony during that scenario?

Dwayne

Closed Thread

Tags
andersen, captain, carnival, claus, condition, current, date, dent, location, problem, radiance, sea, seas, splender, splendor, staff