Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 09:22 AM

I will be taking my first cruise with my children ages 2,6,8. I am looking for reviews of camp carnival. Specifically safety and cleanliness issues. Did they keep the kids busy or were they board? This will be an extended family cruise, so there will be cousins that are the same ages as them in there as well. My sister and I are going to get three rooms so that the children will be all together between the adult rooms. Also any additional ideas and tips would be greatly appreciated. Should we get drink cards for the kids? We usually do not allow them soda, but I fear they will be board with juice. What about milk? Can you get it? How much? Thank you so much!!!! Oh, we are going Eastern Carribean.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:41 AM

Hi Cissy,

Welcome to Cruise-Chat! Unlike at home where the kiddos always complain about being bored, I don't expect you'll have any problems with that aboard a Carnival cruiseship. You've made a very good choice for your childrens ages. They'll love Camp Carnival. The only issue is getting them in a strange place to want to go without Mom & Dad the first time. Hang with them there until they're comfortable and they'll want to spend as much time as possible there from then on. If you don't normally give them endless sodas at home, don't change the rules onboard. There is lemonade, fruit punch and more available that's all free. If later on in the cruise you decide you'd like the convenience of having the drink cards you can get them anytime. Since the cost is prorated daily you'll save a few bucks on each card if you do decide to purchase them toward the end as a treat for wonderful behavior from the kids. Might just be a great incentive to get cooperation when they want to do their thing and you have other plans for them. You'll have a wonderful time and so will your children!

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-18-2008, 12:14 PM

Be aware that there are several age groups within the camp and that their activities are tailored to that age group. That also means ,your kids might be split up. My son was 9 when we went on the Victory last year and had a blast. (Scavenger hunt throughout the ship). My daughter on the other hand was 6 at the time and she was the oldest in her group and said they did mostly "baby" stuff. They both liked the the slumber party though. ('til 3 am in the morning)
My kids love the lemonade, so there was no need to buy a soda card.
Enjoy your cruise

Caribbean Travel Photos

Riu Playacar Resort: Playa del Carmen All Inclusive
03-08 Carnival Triumph
08-07 Carnival Celebration
03-07 Carnival Victory
07-96 Crown Princess
Old 01-18-2008, 12:21 PM

My children son 9 and daughter 8 did not enjoy camp carnival (especially my son). They said it was boring. The activities seemed to be more for younger children. 4-6 maybe. There werenít many older children participating in the activities.
They wanted to stay with us. So, we just stayed by the pool a lot. They had a blast, and so did we.
Holiday May 2009
Fantasy Feb. 2010

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-18-2008, 01:50 PM

Our daughter loved it , she was 9 last April when we were on the cruise, I must say we did not use it full time as it was a family vacation, but there were a few events they were doing she wanted to take part in , so we would sign her in and out as needed, they did a GREAT job in all events, so no worries as they say

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 01-18-2008, 03:21 PM

Most kiddos will have a blast if they give it a chance and participate. Some however will feel less comfortable being away from their parents. Everyone should give it a try and see what the comfort level of the child is. If they hate it or say they're bored simply be happy they'd rather hang out with you. I'm sure for many in todays busy lives it's a chance you don't get regularly.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Cissy:
I will be taking my first cruise with my children ages 2,6,8. I am looking for reviews of camp carnival. Specifically safety and cleanliness issues. Did they keep the kids busy or were they board? This will be an extended family cruise, so there will be cousins that are the same ages as them in there as well. My sister and I are going to get three rooms so that the children will be all together between the adult rooms. Also any additional ideas and tips would be greatly appreciated. Should we get drink cards for the kids? We usually do not allow them soda, but I fear they will be board with juice. What about milk? Can you get it? How much? Thank you so much!!!! Oh, we are going Eastern Carribean.
Welcome to Cruise Chat.

I have had 10 years of experience with Camp Carnival at every age level. We started cruising with our 2 boys when they were 5 and 8.
(The youngest is now 16 and headed out on his 20th Carnival Cruise).

You can relax. The Camp Carnival Staff have always provided a safe and fun environment. Our youngest son is a special needs child...so I have a PhD in being overprotective.

If your children are still 2, 6 and 8 when they board the ship...the 2 year old will be in the 2 - 5 age group and the 6 and 8 year old will be together in the 6 -8 age group.

Here are a copy of these two age group Capers...so you can get "an idea" of the activities they provide.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...71922719KeToqn

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...71922719cFklNS

While this may not be the exact ship you are going on...the activities are pretty standard from ship to ship....so this will give you a good idea.

We have always found the staff to be excellent.
Of course as with anything...some are better than others...but we have never had a bad experience.

If your oldest is going to be 9 when they get on the ship...let me know and I will post the 9-12 Capers for you.

Yes, there is milk on the ship...anytime. You can also order it with room service.

Except the fact that the 2 year old may fuss a little...like going to a new nursery at church the first time...but you will have a pager and the little one will settle down.

Happy Cruising!!!
Old 01-20-2008, 08:33 PM

When we wnet on our first Carnival cruises our daughter was 7 and Camp Carnival was very new to the line and she loved it. There were times when she was upset that we made her do family things with us instead of her being with the other kids. The staff was wonderful and I never felt uneasy with leaving her with them. She is now grown and has a family of her own and would love to take her kids on a Carnival cruise so they can enjoy the camp just like she did.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:50 PM

All i can say is Camp Carnival is a great place for the kids.They do a great job with the kids.From what i have seen is most kids love it.
CCL Elation 2005
CCL Pride 2006
RCCI Splendor 2006
RCCI Serenade Hawaii 2007
RCCI Serenade Alaska 2008
CCL Ecstasy 2008
RCCI AOS 2009
RCCI Voyager 2009
CCL Conquest 2010
CCL Ecstasy 2010
Old 01-21-2008, 04:50 AM
I have a few questions about camp carnival myself My niece and cousins will be cruising with us in May and I was wondering just how safe is camp carnival I mean these are our babies, is there some kind of sign in /sign out type of deal or is it color coded to your child what secures their safety from leaving with the wrong individual. The pagers are a nice touch I must say.

Closed Thread

Tags
babies, camp, carnival, child, children, childrens, cruise, forums, photo, pictures, pride, reviews, safe, safety, spirit, tips