Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2006, 06:55 PM

So...I've never cruised before, but I'm very interested in crusing the west mediterranean, specifically Italy, Greece and Rome.
Anyone been and if so, any reccomendations?
Old 12-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Hello dancercr; Merry Christmas and welcome to cruise-chat;
You ask a very broad question; it's difficult to recommend a cruise line or itinerary not knowing anything about you or your expectations: value or luxury; young or old; lively or reserved; big ship or small ship? See what I mean?
I think at this point most of us would suggest you sit down with a reputable travel agent that specializes in cruises. They can help you narrow your focus and make some specific recommendations. Then we can be more help to you by sharing our experiences with specific lines and itineraries.
It may all seem a little overwhelming at first, but planning a trip is really half the fun!
Happy cruising and stay in touch.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dancercr:
So...I've never cruised before, but I'm very interested in crusing the west mediterranean, specifically Italy, Greece and Rome.
Anyone been and if so, any reccomendations?
I consider that more of an eastern Mediterranean itinerary.

Carnival has (or will have, beginning in 2007) two Med itineraries. The "western" one includes ports in Italy, Croatia, Spain and France (I'm pretty sure)....the "eastern" one (which is the one that is new in 2007) includes ports in Italy, Greece and Turkey. I'm real certain about those because hubby and I are booked for that itinerary this coming May!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:15 PM
You may wish to look into Carnival's Italian subidiary Costa Cruises, They share the same ship builder Fincanteri and have ships that are almost identical to the Destiny and Spirit Class

But here is a warning from their website regarding cruises that stop in Libya:

Letter: Dear Costa Guest,

As a result of inconsistent policies within the Libyan government, please be advised
that all guests that are of American nationality, or of another nationality born in the
United States of America, will not be allowed to disembark at our scheduled port of
call, Tripoli. However, you will be allowed to stay onboard during the call.

At present, from information in our hands, both individual and collective visas are not
issued to American nationals or US born. For further information on documentation
and Libyan entry requirements, please contact the Libyan Liaison Office in
Washington, DC at:

2600 Virginia Avenue, NW
Suite 705
Washington, DC 20037
(202) 944-9601 (Telephone)
(202) 944-9606 (Facsimile)

Furthermore, Israeli born passengers and holders of Israeli passports or passports
containing an Israeli stamp (whether valid or expired) will be denied boarding. In the
event that you board the vessel, if such stamps are found by onboard personnel
during the checks made onboard prior to calling Libya (all passports are collected upon
embarkation) you will be debarked in the port prior to the vesselís arrival in Tripoli, at your
own expense. We recommend obtaining a new passport without any Israeli motifs.

The changes associated with entrance to Libya have been frequent and sporadic, and
may change as your saildate approaches. As such, please check with your travel agent
or by visiting http://www.travel.state.gov/., as guest documentation is not the responsibility of
Costa Cruise Lines, N.V. or the carrier. Guests without proper documentation will not
be allowed to board the vessel and will be subject to full cancellation penalties.

We do regret any disappointment this may cause, and eagerly look forward to
providing you with a vacation Cruising Italian StyleÖthatís Amore.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:28 PM
That dosen't exactly make me want to jump on the next Costa ship that comes by.
And I'm sure dancercr is more than a little confused now.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:05 PM

No Terri, I am not an Australian I am a New Zealand citizen. Australia is that insignificant island somewhere to the north and west of us where they have exotic animals like kangaroos and deadly snakes and spiders and a sports mad population who play a kind of football called Aussie Rules that I don't think anyone understands, where the men call the female population sheilas and they try to beat the All Blacks but only succeed somtimes.
I'd better stop before I start a war of words downunder from gods own
By the way how are your plans coming along?
Cheers
Peter
Old 12-30-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ptur:
No Terri, I am not an Australian I am a New Zealand citizen. Australia is that insignificant island somewhere to the north and west of us where they have exotic animals like kangaroos and deadly snakes and spiders and a sports mad population who play a kind of football called Aussie Rules that I don't think anyone understands, where the men call the female population sheilas and they try to beat the All Blacks but only succeed somtimes.
I'd better stop before I start a war of words downunder from gods own
By the way how are your plans coming along?
Cheers
Peter
Oh, snap! *L* My bad -- I know you told me New Zealand!

Christmas -- preparations and celebrations -- put most everything else (except work!) on hold. I was just thinking this morning that I need to look at my travel books and see what needs to be done.

I KNOW making a decision on booking a hotel is one thing....but it seemed to me that there was some sort of thing about travelling between some of the countries....certain documents needed. Not sure if they were actually called visas. And it was only between certain countries....I really need to research that.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Now I'm confused; how did we get from dancercr's question to Libya to Ptur's New Zealand to TerriR.'s visas???
Old 12-31-2006, 02:30 AM

Sorry
My fault but I don't know how it happened I thought I was replying to TerriR
Old 12-31-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
Now I'm confused; how did we get from dancercr's question to Libya to Ptur's New Zealand to TerriR.'s visas???
He was answering a post that I actually made in another thread!

But I knew what he was talking about!!

But......dancercr didn't ask about Libya at all, I don't think!

Closed Thread

Tags
america, cruise, holland, mediterranean, recommend, reviews, west