Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2006, 12:14 PM

My quest in cancelling the vacation club!

As I originally wrote I signed up on the Conquest Sept. 11, 2006, for platinum ($9,995.).
I came home Sunday morning the 17th. On Monday, I found this web-site about cruising, and the thoughts on "the club". I decided I wanted to cancel "the club" because I didn't want all the other trips, just the cruises. I was mislead in believing that this was a part of Carnival Cruise Lines.

Tuesday, Sept. 19 th., I over-nighted my cancellation letter with a return receipt request vis US postal service.

Now, I started calling the billing center for "the club" for my cancellation and refund.

Thurs. Sept. 21 st., at 8:50 pm CST. I spoke to Chris Rameriz. He tells me there is nothing on the computer yet about my cancellation, and the cancellation coordinator has left for the day; call back Friday at 11:00 CST.

Friday. Sept. 22 nd., at 1:40 CST (I couldn't call earlier, I was at work). I spoke to Trisha Burleson. She took my memebership number and also told me that there was no information yet on the computer. She said she couldn't verify getting my cancellation letter because the "cancellation coordinator -'left early today'". I was also told that the offices wouldn't be opened again until Monday.
I asked for the name of the cancellation coordinator.

I found out there are actually two: Samantha Durbin, who "left early today", and Rachael Ortiznau, who "is on vacation" (I wonder if it is a CVC $299 resort stay somewhere?).

Anyway, I have no progress in cancelling "the club" (I am in the 3 day window), but I have names.

Trisha did tell me that "if your cancellation is approved, it will be 2-3 weeks before the refund is issued." (HUH?)In the meantime, I'm waiting for VISA to send me a charge dispute form, but I do have a payment that is due now that I have to pay on my VISA as my statement date was Sept. 18!

I'll post again Monday to let you all know if I've made any progress in cancelling "the club".
Old 09-22-2006, 12:54 PM

Call the visa card company back and ask for their fraud deptartment. Tell them what you have told us in this post. Tell them you want the charge denied.

CVC (ICE) is delaying you until the charge can be put onto their books. Then they will wait and get the interest off of your $10,000 for that 2-3 weeks whihc will turn into a longer time period.

Having someone "leave early" is not a legitimate reason for you not to back out of th sales contract.

I you read this thread from the begining and search for vacaton club you will fidn other discussions in here and people's posts that went through what you are now going through. You may gt some helpful tips.

Good Luck!
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-22-2006, 02:10 PM

Thank you Jim,
I called Candice Spaulding at Visa (fraud division). She said that she hadn't see a case involving this much money before. However, she didn't feel it was fraud, but more likely "a run around" to keep my money longer, as you suggested.
Her advice was to continue through the "disputed charge" avenue, as I am already doing (she saw the notations in my VISA file already). She said this would be less frustrating for me to let VISA handle reclaiming the charges, if I have the proper documentations, as I claim (copy of contract, disembarkation date, copies of when I sent the letters, return receipt).
I've learned a valuable lesson. I'm not turned off by Carnival. I can't wait until my next cruise.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:58 PM

my wife and i joined the vacation club last year. we are getting ready to take our second cruise since becoming silver members and will probably be able to get 3 total cruises out of our points. we were also able to book a beautiful 2 bedroom condo in orlando for our daughters family. there are some drawbacks to the club. it definatly isnt cost efficient for families, you would be better served to pay cash for your cruises. you also must be flexible in your travel . cruises that cost 4000 points in the summer months are in some cases less that 2000 in the off-season. as for the sales staff, they dont lie to you but they dont tell you the whole truth either. anyone looking into the club should ASK QUESTIONS !. as far as the resort vacations go, yes the best places can be hard to book but again if you can be flexible and travel in the down season you can find great locations. the club is not for everyone but so far (knock on wood) we feel we carnival has delivered. we will be sailing on our 16th cruise in feb.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by donnie5:
my wife and i joined the vacation club last year. we are getting ready to take our second cruise since becoming silver members and will probably be able to get 3 total cruises out of our points. we were also able to book a beautiful 2 bedroom condo in orlando for our daughters family. there are some drawbacks to the club. it definatly isnt cost efficient for families, you would be better served to pay cash for your cruises. you also must be flexible in your travel . cruises that cost 4000 points in the summer months are in some cases less that 2000 in the off-season. as for the sales staff, they dont lie to you but they dont tell you the whole truth either. anyone looking into the club should ASK QUESTIONS !. as far as the resort vacations go, yes the best places can be hard to book but again if you can be flexible and travel in the down season you can find great locations. the club is not for everyone but so far (knock on wood) we feel we carnival has delivered. we will be sailing on our 16th cruise in feb.
Donnie: I am glad you feel like it has delivered for you.

Thank you for your honest represenation of what you are getting for your money, because that is how people make informed decisions.

If you are a Silver, did you pay $5,000.00.
If so, that is where I get puzzled about people thinking that maybe 3 cruises (if you go off seaon) for 2 people is a good deal.

We are sailing on the Miracle ~ 7 days~ (3 people ~ inside Upper Deck) for $1,000.00.
And this is during "Fall Break". (A time that is growing into a peak season).

As for the condo, that is the Sheraton Vistana (a nice property as long as they don't put you in the 20 year old section) but it is available to any Joe Blow off the street for $199.00 for 4 days. I got the offer myself. No clubs to join and no timeshare tours to take.

Those are the facts that people need to know:

1. the cruises are more expensive (even for just 2 people)

2. the timeshare resorts (when and if you can actually get a booking) are offered to the general public all the time without joining any kind of club.

People need to realize that all they are paying for is VIP Check In and Debarkation, a few on board perks like Platinum member get and a party (IF you are sailing on one of the few ships that has a CVC office). If they don't have an office, you are not even going to get the party in most cases.

Now if thousands of dollars is worth that to someone, then that is the route they should go.
And believe me, there are lots of people who will pay thousands to feel like they are "special". But that is the only reason someone should buy into these packages. Because they do not save you money on cruises or resorts.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:43 PM

All conversations are recorded by ice. The managers name is Diane Watson and her phone # is 602-308-1940.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:19 PM

I have spoken with Diane Watson and she was of absolutely NO HELP! She just passed it on to the person under her - Cathy Gallagher. Ms. Gallagher is no better and she keeps passing the buck down. And so forth and so forth. If conversations are recorded who has the recordings? Are you talking about when you called ICE or on the ship? I wish I would have recorded the conversation on the ship. But then when we turned this over to the Better Business Bureau ICE sent them a sentence from the "contract" that covers anything you were told while on board. PER THE CONTRACT SIGNED BY THE MEMBER ON JANUARY 17,, 2006, PEASE REFER TO PAGE 7, PARAGRAPH 6 AND PAGE 32, NUMBER 22. BY SIGNING THE CONTRACT THE MEMBER AGREED THAT THEY HAD RELIED SOLELY ON THE CONTENTS OF THE MEMBERSHIP DOCUMENTS AND DID NOT RELY ON ANY OTHER REPRESENTATION, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WRITTEN OR ORAL WHEN ENTERING INTO THE AGREEMENT. In other words ICE is not responsible for anything their representatives say. Since that is in the contract no one has a leg to stand on in their complaints.

We are trying to use most of our points for a big cruise. We spent $5000.00 in points for what comes to 3194.00 in cash. What's wrong with this picture?

Who wants to take a cruise during hurricane season? Or December in Alaska? I looked at the entire European resorts for the last week in May 2007 and the 2nd week in June 2007 (9 months from now). Guess what? The only resorts available are in Tenirife, Canary Islands that is being overrun with African refugees. Not exactly the safest place on earth at the moment.

The very first time I called ICE I talked to a wonderful lady that actually told me that no we were lied to. I bet that conversation wasn't recorded. Also, due to my stupidity, I didn't write that reps name down. I am sure she is no longer employed. She said she would send my message to Ms Watson because she had the ear of the owners. ha. see where that got us.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:10 AM

Wendy,
Document every conversation, times and names as you are doing. I am not the person LHP reffered to as an expert just have learned some things. When I said in a previous post about the 3 days was reffering to when they did the financing. I had no idea you authorized a charge on your visa for the whole amount. If you have a good visa company interest or payments will not be charged while in dispute. I am surprised the bank let it go through. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:14 AM

Everybody has their paper work deadlines. I just got the paperwork from VISA to dispute the charge today. I have 10 days to file the paperwork from the date noted on their letter. In this case, September 19th, and today is already the 26th!So as soon as I finish this post, I have to drive to the post office to send the paperwork, and documentation of my claim that I cancelled with ICE within the 3 day window.
I called "the club" again last night. They did acknowledge receiving my cancellation request but could not tell me the current status of my account.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:17 AM

WendyO,

I hope everyone on this board that took the time to help you pays off for you.

IslandCruz

Closed Thread

Tags
address, arizona, carnival, carnvial, center, club, complaints, cruise, fun, join, president, reviews, scams, ship, tags, vacation, vaction