Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 11:34 PM

Hi all,
I have cruised Carnival 4 times and Celebrity once. Have a had a great time on all. Let's face it, a cruise can be what you make it. However, I have these two cruises I am trying to decide between:
Carnival Victory- 5 nights August 11 out of New York to Saint Johns and Halifax Candad vs
NCL Pride of America in Hawaii for 7 nights.
I hear so many nightmares about the Hawaii cruises. What do you all recommend?
Nov. 2006- Carnival Paradise
Apr 2007- Celebrity Century
June 2007- Carnival Paradise
November 2007- Carnival Paradise
March 2008- Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
June 2008- Holland America Oosterdam (Alaska)
August 2008, Carnival Victory (Canada)
October, 2008 Carnival Paradise (Mexico)
November 2008, Carnival Imagination, Key West/Cozumel
February 2009, Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
April 2009, Carnival Victory (S.Caribbean)
Coming Soon- June 2009, HAL Eurodam (Northern Europe)
Coming Soon- Nov.2009 Disney Wonder (Bahamas)
Old 05-22-2007, 03:28 PM
I haven't been on any of the Hawaii cruises, but my brother just came back from being on the Pride....They were upgraded to the owner's suite and it did make a difference....they were ok with the cruise, but being there once was enough for them...too expensive when you were off the ship...but that was his opinion..if it feels right for you..GO...You just might love it.

Bob E
Old 05-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Banned

etinca, welcome to cruise chat. I'm not sure where you live, those two cruises are hard to compare because the logistics....totally two different experiences all together. Just from time on a ship, obviously my choice would be Hawaii, but then again, I can't speak for NCL America since I haven't sailed. My parents were on that ship last September and loved it. Again, not sure where you are traveling from, but that might make the difference for you. Welcome and happy cruising!
Old 05-22-2007, 04:05 PM

I'll just give you my opinion. I went on Victory to Canada last year and had a blast. The crew was wonderful, the ship is sparkling and immaculate, the food incredable, and the entertainment was outstanding. I've never been on NCL Pride. I WAS on NCL Star and is was less than spectacular. The shows were at best fair, the food was ok but nothing spectacular, ship was nice, and the crew was nice. But thats the STAR, not the Pride. Victory was wonderful!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the welcome's. I read a lot of the info on the site.
For the question of where I am from:
We're in San Diego and have traveled the Mexican Riviera on Elation, Mexico (Ensenada/Catalina) on the Paradise, Mexico on teh Ecstasy, Alaska on the Spirit, and Key West/Grand Cayman on the Celebrity Century. Hawaii is my preferred trip, but don't want to spend $4k and have a nightmare as reported on quite a few of the reports. I guess the lack of gambling and US crew has made that a tough trip sometimes. I enjoyed Canada and would be fine there too. And I know Carnival is always a good time. Any more thoughts and opinions are welcome.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:27 PM

Shouldn't run you $4K, Hawaii pricing has been somewhat depressed because of the abundant supply with the number of ships there now and the reports that you cite getting around.

Great ship, among the most beautifil you'll ever sail. Service is every bit as poor as you've heard, well compared to other cruises (compared to Denny's or Burger King it's about on par). You pretty much have the same staff.

If you do Hawaii use the ship as a hotel and enjoy the islands. If you just sleep there they can't mess up your trip too badly unless you get a worthless Cabin Steward.

If the ship and food/service are the draw for you choose CCL. If the islands are what draws you to Hawaii go for it, just lower your expectations a little and have a great time.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Hi etinca, and welcome to cruise-chat.

Like PA Steve Rocky Mount, above, we were also on the Carnival Victory to Canada last year -- the same 5-night itinerary you are considering -- and we had a wonderful time. While the layout of the ship is annoying -- which you probably know as a past Carnival cruiser -- it wasn't unworkable. The crew was great, food was good, entertainment good, and most importantly, the itinerary was fabulous. The history, the charm, the natural beauty are different than that of Hawai'i, of course, yet are wonderful in their own right.

To put this into perspective, it was one of three cruises we took last year (Celebrity and NCL (not Hawai'i) were the others), and we've also been on most of the other mainstream lines in the recent past. I'm not saying that Carnival was "better" -- only that we truly enjoyed this ship and itinerary, which is what really matters.

Now, I must also disclose that I've never been to Hawai'i. But for me, as the trip out there would be very long, I'd want to spend a few extra days to see more of the islands than you can do on a cruise. So, in making the decision, I would factor this in as well. (I don't know where you live, so perhaps this isn't an issue.)
Old 05-27-2007, 12:19 AM

Also, just to clairfy, it runs about $4k when you take the price of the sailing, along with flights for two, and even mild spending
I think we are leaning towards the Canada trip though. Even flying to NYC from So.Cal is half the price than to Hawaii.
Good posts. I appreciate all the assistance.

Closed Thread

Tags
america, beauty, canada, cancada, carnival, cruise, itinerary, ncl, ncls, owners, powered, pride, suite, supply, tips, vbulletin, victory