Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 07:05 PM

I wanted to thank LisaP for the insight on the special needs issue. Everyone really does need to decide if you want the cruiseline to be aware of any special needs before answering the question your agents are trained to ask about such needs. If you answer "yes" to the question "Do you have any special needs there may well be a form required by the cruiseline. Depending on the need, you may be required a medical okay and letter from your doctor. If you have no need of special diet or assistance from the ship staff you may well save yourself time and trouble by answering either "no" or "that's none of the cruiselines business".

I have a number of clients who opt for the latter answers. If your need is life threatening like some food alergies, it's a VERY good idea to notify even with the add'l forms and hoops some lines make you jump through. Just be aware, if you notify, it's their ship and policies. You may be required to elaborate and accommodate their add'l requests for information, abide by thier restrictions, etc. in order to cruise.

Cheers, Neil
Old 10-29-2007, 07:56 PM

Hi Baby Doll,

I am also a type II diabetic. I can remember being diagnosed when I was 18 and being overwhelmed with all of the changes that come along with the disease. I'm 27 now and life is good. I promise you, that you will look back in 6 months and realize that life has not been turned "upside down".

Keep in perspective that type II diabetes can be managed easily with adjustments to your diet and excersize:. As others have suggested, meet with a nutritionists and visit web sites to educate yourself about the disease. Sure, it's difficult not eating the cake,candy,& pasta but remember that its all about portion control...you can still treat yourself to these foods in moderation.

I've been on seven cruises and have never had problems finding foods that are healthy. One thing you should consider is bringing glucose tablets in case you have a sugar low while you are in port or on an excursion. These will help boost your sugar levels quickly if necessary.

Here's a tip to use at home...when you look at labels on various foods, concentrate on the carbohydrate count and NOT the sugars. Often, sugar free deserts are loaded with carbs (more carbs than that regular deserts). For example, next time you are at the grocery store, grab a box of sugar free ice cream sadwiches and a box of regular. Compare the carbs and you will see they are about the same. I always choose the regular one's if they are within a few carbs of the sugar free. Again, its all about portion control.

Have a blast on your cruise and treat yourself to something sweet. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Cheers,

Louis

P.S. Please remember that I'm not a Doc or Nutrisionists. These are only my personal experiences.Hope they are helpful.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Thank all of you for your great advice. Louis that was great info thank you. I am not on meds so the lows won't be a problem, but will for sure watch the portions and the carbs. Makes me feel much more at ease. Thanks again
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 11-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by baby doll:
Hello Group. I know I haven't been in here for awhile as being very busy with recently being dx with T2 diabetes. My whole life has been turned upside down learning a new way to deal with food. With two cruises booked I am not going to have the luxury anymore to do what we all love to do on our cruise and that is to eat all we want. I know there are low fat foods you can request, but can you get a diabetic diet on board...meaning low carbs and no sugar?
My wife had a good idea that she heard somewhere. Bring an international phone card. And then if you have to call your own doctor it will be easy and less expensive.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:31 PM
good idea cruise dad
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN