Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Hello Group. I know I haven't been in here for awhile as being very busy with recently being dx with T2 diabetes. My whole life has been turned upside down learning a new way to deal with food. With two cruises booked I am not going to have the luxury anymore to do what we all love to do on our cruise and that is to eat all we want. I know there are low fat foods you can request, but can you get a diabetic diet on board...meaning low carbs and no sugar?
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 10-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Well guess there is no diabetics in here, no one knows the answer, or just mentioning the big D is the black plaque and no one wants to talk about it. ummmmmm Guess I'm on my own.
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
Old 10-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Banned

I am not diabetic...however, I have a special needs son that requires a minimum of accomodations.

Carnival has an email address:
specialneeds@carnival.com

They can answer all your questions.
My guess is that they will have you will out a form with your requirements for each cruise you take...but then it is also up to you to check with your wait staff (usually at the beginning of the cruise is enough) just to let them know you have this issue....
Old 10-27-2007, 09:02 AM
I am not a diabetic either but have used the help of the special needs desk. We found them very helpful. I feel confident that you will be accomodated enough to have a great time. We actually phoned them call your PVP and we will sign on later also with a phone number if we can find it
Old 10-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Hi baby doll. I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but please know that living with diabetes is not as restrictive as it once was.

I actually advise to NOT go through the special needs desk. You can find plenty to eat on board--I have also heard reports from pax on other lines that they were not allowed on certain shore excursions for the sole reason they had diabetes, even though their condition was well under control.

We had a thread awhile ago that you might find helpful--click HERE. While the topic of the thread is "Weight Gain," many shared their strategies for eating healthfully on a cruise.

I imagine that as part of your treatment, you are seeing a nutritionist. He or she can help you determine the best eating strategy for you. Before your cruise, bring copies of menus from others' cruises (there are several sites that have these). You'll note that many cruise lines have sugar-free desserts on the menu, as well as "spa choices" or other healthy courses.

I like LHP's suggestion of letting you waiter know of your dietary needs. For instance, salad dressing is often loaded with sugar or fat, as are some of the sauces served.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

I've found that many of the sugar-free desserts taste better than the sugared ones. One of my favorite ice creams is the no sugar Breyer's butter pecan, which uses splenda. It is wonderful, and I like it better than the regular version.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys. Why wouldn't they let the person go if they had diabetes? That's not fair. I hope I am never discriminated against like that. I did go to a bbq party today (first time out with the dx) and found it pretty easy to go down the line and choose the salad and tri-tip. I just didn't go to the cakes, pies, and cookies and didn't go for seconds like I used to. I have brought my numbers down where the load is off my pancreas and things are looking very good and I'm pretty sure I am going to be able to maintain this with diet alone. It sure is a wake up call though on my bad eating habits I had. I just need to watch the high carbs. I agree on the ice cream, but if you look at sugar free is high in fat and the fat free is loaded with sugar. Wished they get together and make it without both. lol
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
Old 10-29-2007, 03:02 AM

I am type 2 also, have cruised 6 times and am leaving on my 7th in December. I haven't had any trouble keeping my numbers totally under control. I think a lot is with like you said making good choices on the menu. I usually get the fish dish as we don't eat that much of it at home as I'm only one that likes it. Also, I'm not a big exercise person and I get a lot more excercise than usually just with the walking about the ship. Just keep a more frequent check on your sugars and you should be OK. You can also ask you cabin steward for a sharps container for disposal of your test strips and lancelets that way, you don't have to bring one with you. Have fun and try not to worry about the numbers, they will usually be no problem.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Hi baby doll, and sorry it took so long for me to reply. First, congratulations on getting your sugars under control!

My friends with T2 were not allowed on a snorkeling tour once, and I've also read the same story on several message boards. The reason given to them was that there was a chance their sugars would dive (no pun intended) and they'd pass out. From what they told me, unless you are on medication or insulin, that is very unlikely to happen to someone with T2. Of course, you will want to run this by your doctor to get advance clearance about any restriction in activities -- but it should be up to the person managing your care and not someone manning a shore excursion desk.

BJC123, thank you for posting the information on the Sharps container. I never would have thought of that.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm a type II and have never had a problem eating on a ship...most of the meals are Carb controlled and get the sugar free desserts.(and once in awhile get on of the BAD ones...Just watch the carbs and you won't have a problem...and I've never had a problem with snorkling or Scuba diving....Just watch your levels and portions....and best of all..have a wonderful Cruise....

Bob E

Closed Thread