Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2004, 09:21 AM

Hi! I'm going on a cruise for the first time this September. I'm thinking of going on the Tulum excursion in Playa del Carmen (or renting a car on my own to travel to the ruins) and the horseback riding excursion in Cozumel.

Can anyone offer advice on this ship or these excursions? Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-05-2004, 09:21 AM

Hi! I'm going on a cruise for the first time this September. I'm thinking of going on the Tulum excursion in Playa del Carmen (or renting a car on my own to travel to the ruins) and the horseback riding excursion in Cozumel.

Can anyone offer advice on this ship or these excursions? Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-05-2004, 10:12 AM

Tulum is definitely a good choice (scenery is awesome). As to whether to do it as excusion or not, you must consider a couple of factors. With the ship's excursion if your tour returns back to the ship late - the cruiseline will make sure to wait or get you to the next port & if you are injured or there is any kind of accident - you are protected. The downside is that it is more expensive, more crowded and you are on their schedule. So, if you opt for safety - take the excursion; if you chose to go it alone be aware of the risks. this holds true for horseback riding as well.

With that said, and you decide you might want to go to Tulum on your own: You can always catch the local bus in Playa del Carmen (runs about every hour) to Tulum for 20 pesos ($2); or if there is a group of you a car will cost about $40US. Entrance to Tulum is 40 pesos. Just make sure to allow yourself plenty of time for the hour to hour and half trip one way.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-05-2004, 11:44 AM

I just posted a great review of doing Tulum on your own via ferry and bus. Here is the link to it;

http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/Cozumel61.htm

The reviewer leaves nothing to the imagination.

If you decide to do the horseback riding on your own, you can take a taxi to Playa San Francisco and then walk southward down the beach towards Playa Del Sol. You will find the horses right on the beach.

Nancy makes a good point about being safe. If you speak at least some Spanish, you will be much more comfortable doing it on your own.

Let us know how it goes.

Tom
Old 08-05-2004, 12:29 PM

I can recommend the horseback riding at Mr. Sancho's in Cozumel. Horses were in good shape and the ride through the jungle was fun.

Closed Thread