Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2006, 11:34 AM

Interestingly, may repeat cruisers do overpack especially for many who carry cases of sodas & other stuff so they can save. Pu-leeezz.

As a 34 cruise veteran, forget being cheap while tackily lugging along cases of it. Just be creative, use your previous Carnival soda card or stickered card. BTW, many cruise lines use that tiny Coke sticker. When approaching a bar, smile, just flash open your wallet bi-fold showing your OLD/stickered card and THAT'S IT.

Bartenders are guest relations oriented & they don't normally hassle the respectable-looking guests.

Wanna get extra creative esp. for the newbies? approach & strike an amiable conversation with an exiting cruiser & they'll probably give u their old Coke card. Or u can buy it from them cheaply.

Indeed, what many do NOT PACK EXCESSIVELY IS THAT POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE. That ladies & gentlemen will almost ensure a super MEMORABLE cruise amidst the lil' problems that will surely come up.

Happy Creative Cruisin' Y'all!
110 cruisers frinds are coming with me for the 6th annual FunFrenzFamily Cruise (BajaMex) on Nov 27,06, CCL Paradise. Join us for interactive danzin & TOTAL FUN!! Besides, strangers like U are actually friends waiting to be met. SEE YA!
Old 10-20-2006, 03:15 AM

I believe in saving money when I can.

LEGIT !

I would never fraudulently use someone else's Drink Card. Or try to scam an expired one. To me that is stealing.

Not agreeing with their rules about certain things is one thing. Unscrupulous acts of theft is a whole different thing. The thought of someone having these kind of morals is disgusting to me.

IslandCruz
Old 10-20-2006, 04:16 AM

Thank you IslandCruz, I totally agree with you!!

Tacky is using someone else's drink card...or an old one....no that's cheap and tacky!! Or pretending to have a conversation just to scam someone to save a buck!

Pu-leeezz....if you can't afford a soda, drink the free beverages!

Respectable-looking.....let's see...Ted Bundy was respectable looking!

Life's what U make it....interesting name...I haven't been on this site for too long, but one thing I've noticed is that the folks who share cruise opinions and ideas are not posting offensive personal opinions! I guess I'm tacky, but I'll be carrying a few bottles of Ozarka...I'll watch for you at the drink counter!

Hey, splurge....buy a drink card. You might just feel better about yourself in the long run!

Have a Great Day!
Old 10-20-2006, 05:57 AM
I think that I would rather carry all the soda to save money than do something cheap like that. Wouldn't be embarrasing if you were to be caught?
2011 - Navigator of the Seas
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 10-20-2006, 07:02 AM

The forty bucks or so that it costs to buy a drink card (if it is worth it to you to do so) is just not worth the risk of "being caught" if you ask me. I think it would be well within the cruise lines rights to put you off the ship.

We don't buy the drink cards because we don;t drink enough soda to make them pay off. If we drive to our cruise we bring some soda and water with us, but the cost of the soda is not worth lugging the weight around an airport if you ask me.

CCL does not mind if you bring your own soda and water on board. Does RCCL allow it? Our next cruise is with them and since we will be driving a rental car to the port from Orlando, we will most likely have the chance to pick some water and soda up on the way to the ship.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-20-2006, 08:06 AM

I too bring a few drinks along. I will not try to use an old card or someone else's. That isn't right.

Cruising is a great value overall, and I keep my costs down other ways.

Going on Carnival Holiday in 3 days!

2004 - Fascination
2005 - Ecstasy, Elation
2006 - Sensation, Holiday
2007 - Fantasy, Glory
2008 - Holiday, Sensation
2009 - Fantasy, Valor, Glory
Coming up:
2010 - Monarch OTS
Old 10-20-2006, 01:11 PM

Hello to all in cruise land! Alrighty then. First of all, sorry for I may have offended some.

Looking at some of the posts, many have offered their unique bright ways to circumvent the rules & regulations of cruise lines. In every cruiser's well-intentioned ways, they'll find opportunities to beat the rules, lawful or unlawful. Just like filing taxes, many find ways to avoid/evade/forego paying taxes & in turn defrauding the gov't. Drive 55?, many sings out " Can't drive 55!!" Many cruisers, not all, will beat the speed limit going to the cruise port.

Is there any cruise lines' rule that says, You can not use your and/or an old fountain card?

Interestingly a dominant topic is regarding the cruise lines' Don't-do-it rule: "Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board." Yet many do, which goes with their definition of integrity... & that's their right. The moral majority that includes many posters here will have to admit... This is the rule! Yet, creative ways are offered continuously.

Regarding theft, I quote a poster here, "Have posted this several times, but here goes. I don't see anything wrong with taking some drinks aboard from a moral standpoint" And he added, "I have an easier solution. Wrap it in bubble wrap and put in checked luggage. If I can get a case of beer through no one should have a problem with a bottle of vodka..." Is that subtle thievery?. To many, it is not according to their conscience. Oh yes, many cruisers will even pretend & complain obnoxiously to the purser's deck so they'll get a $200 or so upgrade.

Indeed, many will preach their practical definition of what's immoral & moral. Yet, WE, NOT ALL offer COOL ways to get around the system. Fortunately for guests while adding to the cruise lines' demise, almost all cruise lines are "100% Satisfaction" goal oriented (inc. bartenders who would never dare directly embarass a "caught" guest). Admittedly, many take advantage of it inc. moi'. Almost all cruise staffers are so enamored on getting their names on the Comment Card that they'll do everything to please you. Along with extra tips, I proudly name them on the comment card.

A well-meaning cruiser with a good point posted, "next came the drink card, it still perturbs me they have to charge you for soda so i bought one card and shared it with my wife we would hit a bar the pass off the card around the corner". Surely, we see many get a fountain card drink & pass it on & get another one.

Many advisory posts are great & well-intentioned such as Island Cruz's, Annies & others.

Again, I apologize if I hit a moral nerve with ways to achieve America's Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Regarding theft, I quote a poster here, "Have posted this several times, but here goes. I don't see anything wrong with taking some drinks aboard from a moral standpoint" And he added, "I have an easier solution. Wrap it in bubble wrap and put in checked luggage. If I can get a case of beer through no one should have a problem with a bottle of vodka..." Is that subtle thievery?.
That was my quote, and I stand by it as not "subtle thievery". If I take some beers I go to Bi-Lo and pay for them, and my check clears the bank.

What was proposed and put out as advice was to take something you did not pay for, and under false pretenses.

Is true we all sometimes break rules, but theft and stealing in my opinion should not be percieved and considered just another rule in a civilized society.

"America's Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness." If someone steals to get it, they did not "achieve" it, they stole it.

No ill will here just a difference of opinion of ethics.

Hope you have a great cruise with your group and tons of fun.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:47 PM

Very classy rebuff & rebuttal!! My but some folks seem to get their dander up about practically nothing. My husband & I are planning on going on our 3rd cruise in Jan 2007, actually that will be my fourth as I am taking my mother & daughter in December 2006, but I digress. . .We have never purchased a soda card because, [said LOUD & PROUD] "I'M CHEAP". Let me qualify that statement with, I grew up in a household that rarely kept it's head above the poverty line. One man's CHEAP is another man's THRIFTY.

You're quite correct "LIFE-R", there are MULTITUDES of post on this very site suggesting less than scrupulous ways of circumventing the "rules". I would also venture a guess that many of those whom you offended are residing in the most splendid glass homes!!

Your detractors are entirely correct in their assertion that stealing is wrong, and using an old card, someone else's card, etc would constitute theft, morally even if not legally. However, reality check folks. . .$40 for a soda card, come on!!! Who's cheating who!?!!? The profit margin on this alone has got to be 200-300%, on average.

And finally, to those of you who believe $40 is spare change, let me just say, "Lucky You". Now, off my soap box cause I feel kinda silly for getting so bent out of shape about how bent outta shape everyone else got at "LIFE-R".
Old 10-21-2006, 01:42 AM

I am pretty sure no one got bent out of shape.

The mark up on a Fountain Card is way above 300% if used as was sold and intended. If someone drinks alot of soda, buy a card or bring your own.

"Lucky You"? To most people, including myself $40 is not spare change. Most don't live in "splendid glass homes".

They work hard and save all year to do something they love..Going on a cruise.

I grew up pretty poor too, that is where I get my values from.

Closed Thread

Tags
bring, cabin, creative, cruise, giving, leftover, soda, stewards, things