Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007, 06:06 AM

I go a step or two further. I fill my empty water bottle from the ship before I get off in any Mexican port. I also eat NOTHING in Mexico except maybe something in a sealed bag, like potato chips, and go back to the ship for meals.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:32 AM
Banned

SD... I agree with you. I go back to the ship for meals. If we're on an excursion, we stick with Pepsi and chips until we're back on board. My husband and I both got the stomach virus in Cancun, Mexico 20 years ago and spent half of our honeymoon in the bathroom. Not fun! Even if you think you're playing it on the safe side by eating a salad, they wash the lettuce in water. Rice has been cooked in water. I'm always amazed at the number of people that get off of the ship and eat at restaurants in Mexico. Maybe it's just my family and our ify stomachs. Been there... done that... never want it again.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:53 AM

Things have changed in twenty years. If the ships says it okay to eat at somewhere, as they did with us in Colima. then it is safe. As they said the ice, water and food is all safe here. Why would you trust a bag of chips or soda and not bottled water? As I said before I eat at one non sponored place (as did many on the tour) and did not get sick. Of course this is from the guy who while in Nam eat with the locals rather than eat searats.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gdjoslin:
Things have changed in twenty years. If the ships says it okay to eat at somewhere, as they did with us in Colima. then it is safe. As they said the ice, water and food is all safe here. Why would you trust a bag of chips or soda and not bottled water? As I said before I eat at one non sponored place (as did many on the tour) and did not get sick. Of course this is from the guy who while in Nam eat with the locals rather than eat searats.
Things are, indeed, different than they used to be. I also would trust any place the ship says is safe to eat.

My husband and I travel to Baja regularly. Most of the restaurants (not the little roadside stands, but restaurants) use bottled/filtered/purified water. We have also ordered anything we wanted from any of the places we've stopped at. The only time I have ever felt unwell (and that wasn't awful, just a little touch) was after a lobster dinner in Puerto Nuevo where they gave me grilled rather than boiled lobster. To be on the safe side, you can order beer or chilled sodas (in a can or bottle, you don't have to have it over ice).

Now....35 years ago....different story. Sickest I ever got was from eating in Tijuana. Everyone else in our party had beer, and not thinking, I had Coke, which they served in a glass over ice. The only time I've been so sick I was ready to go to the hospital.

It doesn't take much to remain on the safe side on a cruise. And you sure wouldn't want to miss out on your wonderful vacation by being sick!
Old 03-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Banned

gd... I would drink the bottled water, as long as it knew it's source. The reason why we drink Pepsi/Coke and bagged chips in Cozumel is last year we rented a car and went snorkeling at a beach where only vendors were selling with coolers in hand. The information desk on the ship advised us to only drink Pepsi or Coke, which was bottled in U.S. and chips (Lays), also stamped "packaged in U.S." on them. In my opinion, it doesn't matter how much "time has passed" when it comes to water purification. Mexico still has impurities in their water that we, as Americans, cannot tolerate. Hey, if you can handle it, go right ahead. Although, for first timers to Mexico I would say to be careful and listen to ship recommendations only.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by baby doll:
Mountaingirl I luvvvvv true Mexican food too, but do not do the taco stands on the side of the road...while in Mazatlan we went to Las Flores (a nice resort in the Golden Zone) that place had the best fried scrimp and the mex combo was out of this world. I know the big resorts take special care to filter their water, but Corona with lime takes the hottie out of the hot peppers and keeps you away from the ice and water. While in Cabo they served coke in a paper cup with ice on a tour and my husband had his AND mine. That night he was sooooo sick. I figured it was the ice cause I wasn't sick..he was quarantined to his room, but 24 hours later I got it and knew then it was the Nirovirus not the ice. I quaarantined myself to the cabin also not to spread it to anyone else. I know the ship keeps records of how many got the virus...I know it was more than just us..but how many??? How do you find out if the ship you are going on has a bad problem with this virus??? QE2 that week came into San Francisco with over 100 people sick with it. We were on the Pride and no one is coming up with any information. The infirmary gave us the meds we needed and in 24 hours it was gone as fast as it came. You don't really feel bad with it like the flu, just nothing stays in the body. It runs its course and your up and happy again.
Norovirus is not really associated with a ship as much as who has a sickness when they get on. There have been a few cases where back to back cruises were effected and the ship may be at fault for these, but in general the cleaning is good and if a breakout occurs then more extensive cleaning happens even to the extent of delaying the next trip to do it. Bottom line is selecting your ship based on one that is less susceptable to the virus doesn't have any real value. The ship does not need to report unless more than 3% (I think) get sick so if it was les than that you will nto find out how many were sick.

But this thread was more on Mexican Water. I can remember being cautioned about bottled water in Cozumel to check the caps for the safety seal, or they may be refilled. The Glory CD recomended some places that filter even the ice and we had no trouble. Trust and follow the advice from the ship and you will be good.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned

Many of the Mexican resorts and beach clubs use purified water. We have had frozen Margaritas in just about every port with no problem. If you stick with name brand locations like Carlos N Charlies or Senor' Frog or Cozumel beach clubs like Paradise Beach, Mr Sanchos etc you will be fine.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Sorry Cruisedad I was responding to Hermy when it was the water and not the virus and got over zealous.
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 03-07-2007, 01:04 PM

This is the place that our tour guide said was safe to eat, drink ect. http://joslin-family-photos.smugmug....1352#133021722

This is the place where we were on our own to eat or not to eat. I ate and was fine. http://joslin-family-photos.smugmug....1773#133065293
But as I said before, not much bothers my system.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:08 PM

Well, that's final. I will be bringing iv supplies and some lactated ringers(I figure the infirmary will charge big time for it, so just in case...). I will be eating real mexican food one way or another. If that means spending all night being re-hydrated, then so be it. I know, you guys will think I'm nuts. I will not be using the ice though, even though my friends did not sick from it. I don;t want to be totally stupid. Oh, will they be checking my bags when I get on the ship? I would hate for them to see my medical stuff and think I'm a drug user or something.

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, club, cozumel, cruise, drink, drinking, mexican, mexico, mrsanchos, norovirus, people, safe, sanchos, ship, watch, water