Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 03:03 PM

Just a warning to all headed to a mexican port.
Everyone knows the old saying, "When in Mexico, dont drink the water".
The ship will have bottled water availible for purchase before offloading at the ports.
Remember, its usually pretty warm at these ports, so you will get thirsty.

The reason for this post is not to state the obvious, but to remind all of you to watch out for other things. Ice being one of the other things! My wife got soda (w/ice) in a few ports so an exact location can't be determined. I tried to warn her but she was stubborn, and overconfident in her immune system... Guess what? she got sick, and it wasn't the norowak(sp?) virus. It was the Revenge of Montezuma.

The ships doctor quarentined her to our cabin for 24 hours. After a couple doses of Amodium AD she was fine. Try not to make the same mistake or trust me, you will be sorry.

Also, watch out for fresh fruits and vegetables which may have been washed in not-so-clean water.

Most importantly, Wash Your Hands as much as possible.

Dramamine? We dont need no stinking Dramamine!

Old 03-06-2007, 04:08 PM

Note, while I completely agree with Hermy's point, I did receive bottled water from an excursion tour while on Costa Maya. It was fine, in that I did not get sick. The ship does sell bottled water right as you are getting off the ship at the gangway, and you can sign for it. I would stick with bottled beer if you're going to drink there. Costa Maya is a new area and probably not up to speed with their water treatment yeat. Thanks Hermy.

Carnival Victory 2/25/07
Old 03-06-2007, 05:01 PM

I bought bottle water on a couple of our tours for about a third of the price that the ship sells it.
we ate at a ship sponored cafe with no problem. I even eat at a local cafe with no problems. A few others on the tour did the same with no problesm... but stick with bottle water, beer, or soda. Watch out for the light sodas... they taste nasty.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:12 PM

I know at Mr Sanchos they use filtered water to make the ice. My friend went their last year and did not sick, nor did any of her friends who went with her. I am a little apprehensive though. I do not like tex mex food, in fact I don't like much of anything that is not really authentic. I plan on finding a real mexican place to eat (I adore "authentic" mexican food). I sure hope I do not get sick. It's kind of a family joke that if there is a run down hole in the wall place to eat I will find it, and the food will be wonderful.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Banned

Another item to watch out for are popsicles; they can produce Montezuma-like results, too.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Mountaingirl I luvvvvv true Mexican food too, but do not do the taco stands on the side of the road...while in Mazatlan we went to Las Flores (a nice resort in the Golden Zone) that place had the best fried scrimp and the mex combo was out of this world. I know the big resorts take special care to filter their water, but Corona with lime takes the hottie out of the hot peppers and keeps you away from the ice and water. While in Cabo they served coke in a paper cup with ice on a tour and my husband had his AND mine. That night he was sooooo sick. I figured it was the ice cause I wasn't sick..he was quarantined to his room, but 24 hours later I got it and knew then it was the Nirovirus not the ice. I quaarantined myself to the cabin also not to spread it to anyone else. I know the ship keeps records of how many got the virus...I know it was more than just us..but how many??? How do you find out if the ship you are going on has a bad problem with this virus??? QE2 that week came into San Francisco with over 100 people sick with it. We were on the Pride and no one is coming up with any information. The infirmary gave us the meds we needed and in 24 hours it was gone as fast as it came. You don't really feel bad with it like the flu, just nothing stays in the body. It runs its course and your up and happy again.
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 03-06-2007, 10:06 PM
baby doll,
I agree with everything you said; except I think Pacifico goes much better with Mexican food. When in Mazatlan, you MUST drink Pacifico--and visit the brewery as well.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:07 PM

i agree bye
Old 03-06-2007, 10:14 PM
I guess I watch to much TV with the Corona commercials tee hee
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 03-07-2007, 02:50 AM

I would not drink water from the public supply on either side of Mexico. Baja or Gulf.

I am even wary of the bottles they sell. It is because what they are immune to, we are not.

Limit the consumption to filtered ice sparingly.

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, club, cozumel, cruise, drink, drinking, mexican, mexico, mrsanchos, norovirus, people, safe, sanchos, ship, watch, water