Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 10:14 PM

Are you required to go through metal detectors when you board the ship? Like the ones at the airport.

I ask because my husband has metal implanted in his body that sets off the airport detectors and causes many problems and makes him very cranky. Although I have informed him that he IS going to get on a plane in January because he IS going on a cruise with me (specifically on the Spirit) and he IS going to have fun... if he has to go through a metal detector every time we board the ship I may have to cancel any excursions and just keep him on the ship. Or spend significant amounts of money keeping him supplied in margaritas. There is nothing crankier than a husband who must sit in a glass cage while being patted down for fifteen minutes.

Back to the question... Please tell me there are no metal detectors on board... (fingers crossed)!
Old 06-19-2007, 10:28 PM
When you first board you go through an airport-type screening. After that it depends on the port; some do, some don't...some only check your I.D. and others will use the wand.

I would think a statement from his Doctor would eliminate any unreasonable delays or pat-downs.

But the margarita thing sounds good too.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:50 PM

They are constantly changing things, so I can only say what has been typical in the past. On Carnival it has been as f-mattox described. They don't use a walk thru detector to re-board the ship. You don't have to take off watches, belts etc. They do run your carry on stuff thru the x-ray machine. I actually can't recall them ever even using a wand, but the times are a changing.

IslandCruz
Old 06-20-2007, 12:03 AM
On my recent Hawaii trip they only used the wand in one port, Hilo, and I suspect that might have been because it was the last stop before the long trek back across the Pacific.

Usually it was just an I.D. check and sometimes a visual bag check, sometimes an x-ray scan.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:03 AM

On a recent Caribbean cruise, my wife and I were subjected to both xraying of items brought back on the ship and having to walk through the metal detector. They were only exempting women if they were pregnant.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:19 AM

Wrong wrong wrong.. they DO make you go through a metal detector to re-board in every port! They also make you put your bag (shopping bags, beach bags and purses) through an x-ray. (Looking for booze and weapons I imagine.)

Make sure your husband has a card (I think homeland security issues these) stating that he has implants that will set off the metal detectors so he can avoid hassle.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 06-20-2007, 08:13 AM

Thank you all so much! I will opt for buying him many margaritas, haha. He does have the little "gold card" from the doctor but that doesn't prevent any hassle at airports. He will have to suck it up and get over it though because I am going to Mexico and he is coming along and he is going to have FUN whether he likes it or not, lol!!!

I appreciate everyone taking the time to answer this, I'm sure it must affect others too. I will just cross my fingers that it isn't too difficult. The San Jose Airport puts him through without too much hassle, but Las Vegas was a horror for him (held in a clear plastic "cage" with a big red X on it for 1/2 hour). I will start saving now for that margarita tab!
Old 06-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Jim C., I guess Hawaii has a little more "hang loose" attitude than you have experienced; like I said, we got the wand once and bags were usually just visually inspected.

Rick
Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:

Make sure your husband has a card (I think homeland security issues these) stating that he has implants that will set off the metal detectors so he can avoid hassle.
You think? I "think" Hilary is a man. Why don't you check on that and get back to us?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Administrator

As Jim notes, we have had to walk through a metal detector on every cruise we've been on for the past several years - all Carnival ships for sure, and Royal Caribbean too. It may not be as large a unit as at the airport but it is a metal detector. I do think these have more "lenient" settings, but there is also a guard with a wand standing by.

Closed Thread

Tags
board, boarding, caribbean, carnival, cruise, cruises, detecting, detector, detectors, lines, machine, metal, norwegian, ray, royal, security, ship