Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Eastern Carib. Excursions (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/23902-eastern-carib-excursions.html)

suen0724 08-20-2006 09:34 AM

Traveling to Nassau - planning on Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon. Then on to St Thomas where we plan to see Trunk Bay at the recommendation of many posts. Does anyone know what is included in the St John Island tour as opposed to the Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel? Any ideas for St. Maarten?? Is the Island Tour any good? Thanks

penny3333 08-20-2006 11:03 AM

We've never done a St. John island tour, we've just taken the ferry over and a cab up to Trunk Bay. It's absolutely amazing at Trunk Bay,so we spend as much time there as we can. If they offer a dolphin swim instead of an encounter, sign up for that. The encounter doesn't let you interact with the dolphins like the swim does, they are truly amazing creatures. The last time we were in St. Maarten, we did the America's Cup Races which was a blast. They let you crew the racing yachts. St Maarten is also great for shopping. Hope this helps. Have a wonderful cruise!!

suen0724 08-20-2006 03:39 PM

Hi, Penny Thanks for your post. The only reason I was interested in the dolphin encounter is bc my daughter is only 5. I don't think they let her do the "swim" at that age, and it's not offered through Carnival's excursions. The encounter is already pricey at $109 pp. I've read a lot of great posts about Trunk Bay, there are just 2 options for us - runs about $55-60 pp. In St. Maartin, I checked and there is an America's Cup Regatta $88 pp. I hadn't really done any research on it, but due to your post, I will now. I was leaning toward the Butterfly Farm & Marigot originally. Thanks for your advice. Getting excited and counting the days.

penny3333 08-21-2006 11:13 AM

I'm sure you're getting excited, I'm counting the days down for our cruise as well. I think you're right about 5 years old, I believe they only let them swim at 7, not positive about that. It is such an awesome experience. The Regatta was soooo much fun, everyone gets involved. The prices are a little high, but both excurions are fun. Have a wonderful time!!

Dwayne 08-22-2006 06:45 AM

Trunk Bay is a must see and do. Magens Bay is on St.Thomas and is nice too. I did that on my first visit and got a feel for the island etc. But now I usually go to Trunk Bay as I am comfortable with the logistics of getting there.

As you probably read it takes a taxi ride to get to Red Hook Ferry, then on St.John another taxi to Trunk Bay. Of course this is doing on my own and not a ship excursion.

Slightly off topic, but if you need any last minute items. The ship will dock at Havensight pier. At the back of all the shops on the left in same complex is Havensight Pharmacy. Have been going there for years, and grab myself a big ice cold Evian, bigger and cheaper than ship has for my trip to Trunk Bay.

If you do decide on Trunk Bay, get an early start. The ferry leaves on the hour. Magens Bay is just a taxi ride over the mountain, is beautiful, but not good snorkeling.

Best to you,
IslandCruz