Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 04:48 PM

Before reading this review, please remember that I had only good things to say about this Celebration. I am not one of those people that think everything has to be just perfect.

Holiday 2-21-08

Finding the Mobile Port was a little tricky, because there was road work going on and there was a long detour. Embarkation at Mobile was a breeze. It took us (group of 5) twenty minutes to get from the parking lot to the Lido deck. The Celebration took at least an hour. The port staff was great and very helpful.
As we boarded the ship, I noticed a lot of cosmetic issues. It was just peeling paint and such. No, big deal. The Lido deck was dead when we got there. It was raining; most of the people were inside eating. Of course, we joined them. The food was great.
The rain left us with nothing to do after eating. We ended up setting on the stairs waiting for our room to be ready. Our room was nice and clean. All of our luggage was there by 3:30pm.
We watched the boat leave the port from behind Doc Holidays. The port may seem a little ugly at first glance but, I thought all the different boats, ships, and oil rigs were kind of interesting. So, make sure you take the time to look.
From there, we had the life boat drills. It probably lasted close to an hour, and it was terribly boring. At least 45 minutes was spent just sitting. The staff kept telling everyone to be quiet, while we waited for the drill to get started. I kind of felt like one of my students, being reminded of the proper voice level. A little better organization would have helped a lot.
When it was finally over, we went to our room to get ready for dinner. This is when I realized that we had made a mistake booking an aft room (U191). It was terribly loud, and it was really rocky! It was kind of hard getting ready with all the movement, and the roar of the motor (I guess it was the motor) made it almost impossible to talk. I just can’t believe it is normally that loud. I think something must have been wrong.
On the positive side, our room steward was great. He made extra towel animals, because I told him our children wanted us to bring home pictures of the animals. I really think little gestures like this make a carnival the best vacation ever.
We were seated at table 240 in the Seven Seas Dining room. This was also a mistake. The table was shaking so bad that two people had to leave before dessert, because they became sick. The dining room was also very hot; I would guess it was near 80.
The food was good in the Seven Seas, but the service was nothing special. We were on the Celebration in November; our waiter was Russell, and our matridee was Joseph. I just got off the Holiday yesterday, and I have already forgotten our waiter’s and matridee’s name. I really think that says something about the service.
The comedy shows and musicals were awesome. The dancers amazed me every time I saw a new move. These ladies and gentlemen are very hard workers, and I appreciate all they do to make our cruise even more special.
The cruise director was new and it really showed, but her assistant Byron was great. The games and such were a little boring. Once, there was just movie showing in the Americana. I went inside to find a completely empty lounge. There was a Q&A session with the staff. We could ask stuff about being an employee of carnival and living on the ship. If you ever get the chance to go to one of these, DO IT!
Room service was such a disappointment. I love those 1:00am chocolate cakes, but I only got it once. On the first night, I ordered 2 BLTs and 2 chocolate cakes. I received it an hour and half later. The next night, I called and they said it would be at least 1 hour. So, I said not to worry about it. The same thing the next night. On the last night, they said it would take 45 minutes. After almost 2 hours, I called and they said they hadn’t got it yet. I said not to worry about it that we were going to bed. After an hour later, they brought it anyway and woke us. I guess they were very busy.
The spa was nice. I had my first massage, and it was so relaxing. The girl who did mine made me feel so comfortable. Now, the pedicure was anything but comfortable. But, you should see my pretty toes.
On the second day of the cruise, I began to notice a urine smell in the hallways. By the end of the cruise, deck six’s hallway smelled so strong that my eyes burnt. Many of the passengers complained, but no real answer was given.
I realize my review was all over the place, but I tried to be as accurate as possible. I wanted to give a detailed description of my experience. I am sure this is not a typical cruise on the Holiday. At least, I hope its not. I still love cruising, and I would be willing to give the Holiday another chance.
Holiday May 2009
Fantasy Feb. 2010

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-27-2008, 12:26 AM

Welcome back Emily!

Thanks for posting this current and honest review of your experience on the Holiday.

Dwayne
Old 02-27-2008, 01:03 AM

Well I have to say that we were on the holiday 3 months ago and never experienced the negative things you did. We have take 2 cruises on her in Feb. the same week you did and I had nothing to complain about. But I guess ships are a lot like people after a while they show their age. I have cruised on the celebration twice and altho it was nice I certainly preferred the holiday.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:53 AM

Welcome back Emily and thank you for your review. We're sailing on her in July. It sounds like over all you had a good time, of course, you can't help but have a good time when you're cruising. Get busy booking your next one, can't wait to see what you pick. Also, it helps ease the pain of the debarkation blues!

Closed Thread

Tags
american, carnival, carnval, cruise, employee, fasination, good, holiday, holidays, holliday, reviews, room, ship, u191