Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2006, 09:31 AM

We are planning a cruise to the Carribean in late April. There will be 8 of us . We are older in age ( mid -fifties ) but very active. Would there be too many young adults on Carnival at that time of year ( spring break ) . We like to sing , dance and have fun but are afraid that the crowd would be too young . We were advised to stay away from Carnival since they are known for their young crowdsand wild party atmosphere.
Any thoughts ????
Old 12-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Administrator

The reputation for "wild party atmosphere" is long gone from Carnival, at least in my personal experience with that line. Indeed, our Carnival cruises have all been rather sedate. And most of these were during periods when most young people would be able to cruise. Carnival made the decision to distance themself from drunken parties several years ago. Why? Because their is more money in marketing to mom and dad and their 2.5 kids, who may bring grandpa and grandma along on the cruise.

There will not be any noticeable difference in the passenger demographics between RCCL and Carnival in April. I happen to like both lines about equally. But RCCL wins in a big way when it comes to their ships being more interesting and having more "stuff" to do. Book a cruise on RCCL's Freedom Of The Seas and prepare to be impressed.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:56 AM

Dave, thanks for the input. We will strongly heed your advice when deciding which cruise line to use.

Joe
Old 12-19-2006, 09:15 PM

Easter is April 8th next year. By the time you cruise at the end of April the majority of schools will be back in session. As Dave says the "wild party atmosphere" changed many years ago. Most people that still believe that way have never even been on Carnival or haven't sailed on them in atleast six years. You should have a great cruise on either CCL or RCI.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:51 AM
I am 56 and my wife 54. We cruised on the Glory (correction it was the Triumph not the Glory, Glory sails out of Canaveral so it was 2 years ago not last year) during spring break last year. We enjoyed the cruise very much and I didn't noticed much difference in the age from any other cruise, We have taken 3 others so far. The parties were good but not wild and certainly not drunken. I would not let that enter into your decisions. As far as what to do for an active couple I'm not familiar with RCL but I enjoy the big budget dance shows on Carnival and the Spa and the running track. Even golf lessons if you want them. I'm sure RCL has similar attractions. Oh yes and dance lesson - free from the pro dancers, and scavanger hunts, and swimming ...

PS The only trouble we had was FT Lauderdale airport, what a mess, Glad we made our flight. Liberty sails out of Ft Lauderdale so give your selve some extra time to make your flight
Old 12-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Banned

In my opinion the party class has moved over to RCCL. The last few years Carnival has really improved. The only major complaint I have is they are very smokey. We have sailed on the Legand the last few time's and really enjoy it except for the smoke, and it is in all the bar's and lounge's.They have a cigar bar next to the main resturant and the smoke even get's in there. But if that is all I can find to complain about, that's not to bad. Tom
Old 12-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Administrator

I agree about the smoke outside the dining room on the Legend and the other ships in that class. That little bar is in a bad place with everyone having to walk through it to go forward or to the dining room.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:27 AM

After using both Carnival and RCL I vote for Carnival by far. The food is better (and more dining options are available),and the cabins and ammenities are better in my opinion.

As far as the party aspect goes, I think that's a port issue more than a cruise line issue. Cruises out of Miami tend to get the wild party crowd where cruises out of Canveral tend to more sedate, so consider that in booking a cruise.

It's also been my experience after many cruises, that the newer and larger the ship, the better your overall cruise experience is going to be, irregardless of the cruise line. The cruise lines seed their new ships with the better employees from other ships, and that means better service for you as a passenger.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:19 PM

I hate to sound confrontational on my "very first post... '

But my wife and I have cruised on Carnival and RC and find RC MUCH more to our liking. We find the food comparable, but the passengers seem a little more personable.

We like both lines, and will use both in the future, but as for right now we like RC better. (Personal taste...)

QTPie
Old 12-22-2006, 08:52 AM

Hello QTpie,

Love your user name. Welcome to Cruise-Chat!
It's been a long time since my wife and I have cruise on Carnival. Every one has their personal preferences. I also prefer Royal Caribbean. I never cruised on Princess yet. I get too many perks on Royal Cribbean to try another line.

MERRY CHRISTMA AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Sonny

Closed Thread

Tags
afraid, april, atmosphere, canival, caribbean, carnival, carribeancarnival, crowd, cruise, cruises, food, legend, party, rc, reviews, rooms, younger