Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2002, 05:44 PM

Does anyone have any information on the Destiny, we have not cruised before and are curious about the food,entertainment,and room quality,cost of drinks,how long the lineups are,recommended shore trips etc. We are planning on travelling this winter. Thanks, Dave.
Old 08-23-2002, 05:44 PM

Does anyone have any information on the Destiny, we have not cruised before and are curious about the food,entertainment,and room quality,cost of drinks,how long the lineups are,recommended shore trips etc. We are planning on travelling this winter. Thanks, Dave.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:58 PM

We sailed on the Destiny in Sep. 2001 for our honeymoon. The Destiny is a beautiful ship, but we had picked this ship for its Southern Caribbean itinerary. The ports that we went to were on the Dutch Treat itinerary, which included from San Juan, St. Thomas/St. John, St. Lucia, Curacao and Aruba. Because we travelled shortly after the 9/11 incident, flight plans were cancelled and re-routed, so when we got on-board, it was quite late and we didn't sign up for any tours in St. Thomas. However, if you want to go snorkelling, this would be the place. The water is a beautiful blue turquoise. St. Thomas is also a shopping mecca -- there are so many stores here to shop in. When you're arriving or departing from St. Thomas, it is just breathtaking! I would definitely go back there.

I would really skip any tours in St. Lucia, and the shopping by the pier is not anything great, a few stands is all. We arranged our own transportation with another couple to see SousFriere. We didn't sign up for the catamaran tour to SousFriere, because you would have arrived back too late, and this was also the Captain's Dinner night. St. Lucia is very hilly with lots of turns. If you go by van, make sure you have a strong stomach. The drive-in volcano is really nothing, as you look at the side of the road and see some smouldering rocks -- that's it. Not worth making the trip.

Curacao & Aruba are both Dutch islands. We took the bus tour on both of these. The Curacao one was to the caves & to the Curacao liquor factory (unlimited free samples for all!!). We had a delightful tour guide on board our bus, which made the trip even more fun.

As for line-ups on board, the only line-ups were at the Lido deck buffet, but they were quite short. THere is a lot to do on board and we really liked the shows, and to hang out at the piano bar and then later head to the disco.

We had a great time, and I'm sure you will, too. As a past Carnival guest, we got a deal in which airfare was included in the price. We also got an outside cabin. Airfare to San Juan is expensive. There are many different age groups on board, from honeymooners, to family reunions, etc. This was the "best dressed" ship that we had been on. There was a large contingent from Chicago and a lot of Spanish people who dressed up a lot, which added to the mood of the ship. Very classy. If Malcolm is still an assistant cruise director on board, you will have lots of fun! Enjoy!

Aruba is a beautiful island and we took an island tour, which was great. THe beaches here are fantastic! Aruba has great shopping, too.
Old 08-24-2002, 04:28 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention the price of the drinks. On the Destiny, they now have an adult "coke" card, which was US$29.95 for unlimited pop. It is not soda fountain pop, but from the can, so it's the real stuff. A good deal for me as I only drink wine with dinner.

Drinks ranged anywhere from $5.95 for the souvenir drink of the day + glass. Beer can be bought in the bucket (4 in a bucket) at the Lido deck for about US$12.

Wine can be purchased at dinner, and if you don't finish the bottle, they just write your cabin # on the bottle and you can get it again the next night. Tipping was automatically charged to our bill, so we didn't have to hand out any cash envelopes on the last night.

All charges on board are made to your Sign & Sail card. This also included the Bingo games (this changed from when we were on the Sensation in 2000). Double check your chits to your bill, as we did have some errors on our bill, but they were straightened out right away at the Pursuer's desk.

There are no amenities in the bathrooms, just a bar of soap. They did have a hair dryer in the bathroom. There is a safe in the room. Closet space is very spacious, quite enough for 2 people.

The shows were varied, from comedians, to singers, to jugglers. The show "Nightclub Express" was sort of tribute to all kids of songs from different eras. The singers were exceptional. There is also karaoke, game shows, fun contests, art auctions, golf putting, etc. Believe me, you won't get bored -- and, you can always just lay around the pool.

Some shore excursions prices were as follows:
St. Thomas:
*St. Thomas Snorkel & Beach Adventure US$24 pp
(3 hrs.) 9am or 12:45 pm
*St. John Champagne Catamaran Sail US$75 pp
(4-1/2 hrs) 11 am
*Magen's Bay & Paradise Point US$28 pp
(3-1/2 hrs.) 8:30 am or 12:30 pm

Curacao:
*Hato Caves & Liqueur Factory (the one we went on) US$39 pp (approx. 3 hrs). 8:15 or 1:30
*Christoffel Park Mountain Biking US$79 pp
3-1/2 hrs. 8 am
*Curacao Outback Adventure (jeep) US$79 pp 3-1/2 hrs. 8:15 am & 12:15 am

St. Lucia:
*Soufriere Cruise US$95 pp with snorkel; US$83 pp without snorkel 6 hrs. 12:00 pm
*Great Horse Adventure US$67 pp 4 hrs. 12:15 pm & 1:45 pm
*St. Lucia Rainforest Jungle Tour US$89 pp 6-1/4 hrs. 12:00 pm

Aruba:
*Natural Wonders of Aruba (the one we went on) US$41 pp 3 hrs. 8:30 am & 12:45 pm
*Snorkel Trip with Pelican II US$35 pp 3 hrs. 8:30 am & 1:00 pm

Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:31 AM

Just an update destiny changed it's destinations my wife and i went on Sept 1st for 7 day cruise
it was wonderful they went to St. Thomas Martinique, barbados, and aruba with two days at sea before and after aruba

each night you recieve a ship's news letter that tells you about the next days port and a map as well as a list of shore excursions you can sign up for we saved all the newsletters and I took some photos with my digital camera i took mostly video footage.

St thomas is beautifal shopping bonanza we went on a shopping tour the shops all seemed to have similar clothes but the prices were very different so if you like to bargin hunt that is the tour for you. the water is gorgeous there i have a few shots from the top a large hill

Martinque is a french country so be prepared for bad accents. the port is a busy sea port not much tourist stuff there just cabs lining up to take you away. avoid downtown if you can the people aren't the friendliest. we took an island tour
it was nice it was listed as 3 hours it took 5 hours we got on the boat with 20 minutes before departure. but the tour was wonderful we saw the rain forest and a church and a rum distillery tour. beatiful flowers and plants bring local money all the stops were locals and didn't take travelers cheques we forgot to cash them before we left our fault american cash will work to.

Barbados beautiful shopping complex at the port
lots of friendly people a side note however no camoflague is allowed to be worn on barbados
not sure what that was all about but the ship personell told it was illegal. we took a cab $6
to a local bay and went swimming all prices are in local money so just divide the price in half and that is what it costs in american money
we went swimming. warm water calm waves.
a local on a jet ski stopped on shore talked with us got to know us asked if we wanted to go on a ride we refused and he talked a little more and then said goodbye and went on to the next couple
very friendly man not pushy or anything.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:31 AM

Just an update destiny changed it's destinations my wife and i went on Sept 1st for 7 day cruise
it was wonderful they went to St. Thomas Martinique, barbados, and aruba with two days at sea before and after aruba

each night you recieve a ship's news letter that tells you about the next days port and a map as well as a list of shore excursions you can sign up for we saved all the newsletters and I took some photos with my digital camera i took mostly video footage.

St thomas is beautifal shopping bonanza we went on a shopping tour the shops all seemed to have similar clothes but the prices were very different so if you like to bargin hunt that is the tour for you. the water is gorgeous there i have a few shots from the top a large hill

Martinque is a french country so be prepared for bad accents. the port is a busy sea port not much tourist stuff there just cabs lining up to take you away. avoid downtown if you can the people aren't the friendliest. we took an island tour
it was nice it was listed as 3 hours it took 5 hours we got on the boat with 20 minutes before departure. but the tour was wonderful we saw the rain forest and a church and a rum distillery tour. beatiful flowers and plants bring local money all the stops were locals and didn't take travelers cheques we forgot to cash them before we left our fault american cash will work to.

Barbados beautiful shopping complex at the port
lots of friendly people a side note however no camoflague is allowed to be worn on barbados
not sure what that was all about but the ship personell told it was illegal. we took a cab $6
to a local bay and went swimming all prices are in local money so just divide the price in half and that is what it costs in american money
we went swimming. warm water calm waves.
a local on a jet ski stopped on shore talked with us got to know us asked if we wanted to go on a ride we refused and he talked a little more and then said goodbye and went on to the next couple
very friendly man not pushy or anything.

More later
Old 10-10-2002, 05:50 PM

I was on the Destiny in early April. My best friend and I left our hubby's at home and off we went. We were on their last S. Caribbean cruise that stopped at Guadaloupe and Antigua.
Started in Puerto Rico. Went on rainforest tour - very interesting, very informative, great tour guide. Little walking.
First stop St. Thomas. Beautiful island. Great shopping. Took the island tour to the top of the island and walked down. Not too strenuous. Don't waste time taking pictures of Blackbeards' Castle. After everyone takes their photos, the guide tells you the place has NOTHING to do with Blackbeard! Rode the tram near the dock - beautiful views from the top.
Next stop was Antigua. Pretty, not much to do there. They have eliminated it from their route. Next stop was Guadaloupe. Awful. Dirty. Scary. Rude people. Walked two blocks into shopping and turned around and went back on ship. Worst place I have EVER been. Also eliminated from itinerary. Last stop - Aruba. Again, took sightseeing tour. Beautiful island. Would not mind staying there for a week. Town is great. Clean and pretty. Nice people.
As far as the ship goes: was our second Carnival cruise and I enjoyed it every bit as much as our trip on the Inspiration. Was clean, never waited in line for more than a few seconds for an elevator (except after dinner trying to get to entertainment venue). Plenty of elevators. Carnival upgraded us to a balcony - awesome. To get room service in the morning and watch the sun come up while you are having coffee on your balcony is amazing. One mistake we made is when we ordered morning room service for the first time, we figured that if you ordered "coffee" it would be for one person, so we ordered 2 "coffee's" and two "rolls and muffins". Guess what - each order was more than enough for two people, so we could have had a party.
Neither of us drink, so did not have bar bills. I loved the ship, the food, the people, the room, the islands - everything. Go and have a great time!!!

ME R
Old 10-17-2002, 12:42 PM

I think you need to take a close look at the reviews on this ship. I am pretty much convinced the woman who wrote a review in July is a travel agent. The vast majority of the reviews on the Destiny are horrible. My wife and I along with 8 other people were on the Destiny in February. Never again. I have a review posted. We have cruised NCL and Royal Caribbean. We will go back to them. After returning home, a friend told me the Destiny is nicknamed the aluminum ship. It's cheap. Don't look for much polished brass or class. Just keep in mind, you get what you pay for! We were so disappointed in the Destiny, we have no interest in any future Carnival cruises.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:05 AM

I just wanted to tell you that I am not a travel agent and I thought the Carnival Destiny was wonderful. So wonderful in fact that we have booked another Carnival cruise for March Break with the Spirit.

The only problem I found with the Desnity is that we had an adjoining room (with a door in-between), and it was a bit noisy as we could hear voices next door. The thin walls would be our only complaint.

To each his own, I guess.

Closed Thread

Tags
aruba, caribbean, carnival, carribean, cruise, destiny, itinerary, map, ports, route, routes, southern