Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Wonder how much a new shaft and screw cost?

Hmmmm Prices are different everywhere I just hope they shop around. A shop on 42st may be cheaper than 13st. Hard to find a Stand up shaft and screw company these days.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:12 AM

Mr O- Better be careful there. I'm sure Carnival knows all about getting a proper shaft and screw guy since they are very good at providing those services to their customers.

I hate to see a cruise cancelled. I wonder where the closest dry dock that can hold the Celebration is (that is available). If not close, I can't believe they can get in and out with a repair in a week. I wouldn't hold my breath that the 28th cruise will not suffer the same fate. 50% for a lost vacation is not a very grand gesture in my book. If this were beyond CCL's control, I could understand that, but damaging the ship while docking is something a good crew should NOT do.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-18-2006, 08:21 AM
Administrator

I noticed Carnival didn't mention anything about reimbursing people who now have useless air reservations for the August 21 cruise.

Actually there is a drydock facility in Jax - Atlantic Marine. Not sure if it currently in use. There are also facilities in Charleston, if I recall correctly.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:36 AM

Yup, that will be an interesting discussion. I bet the canned answer is "If you had bought our over priced, highly inflated air fare, we could reimburse you." That will be a bitter pill to swallow for those that didn't. They should at least offer to do that (since again, they are at fault)
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-18-2006, 11:16 AM

Talk about "shaft and screw". We were on the Celebration when it ran aground in Nassau. We were at the stern of the ship when this incident took place. I told my family that we were going to run aground and my son told my wife to "hold on". I think we should get more than $100 per person since we did not make our primary destination. The ones on the next cruise are just having their itinerary altered but they are getting the same $100 per person off that we received...when we entirely missed our destination. Is that wrong?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Hi Sinbad,

So it was that obvious that you were about to hit bottom? Wow!

I personally think Carnival went to the cheap side in your case.

Did the ship have noticeable motion or noise when it hit? What did the Captain say?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:49 AM

Paid for a Shipwreck

Carnival is the worst cruise line ever! I was aboard the Aug 12th 2006 sailing of the Celebration that went aground at Nassau on the 15th. I watched as we attempted to pull into port next to the Sensation, missed, then the Majesty of the Seas, missed, and continued to "drift" and hit the bottom of the sea floor near the peninsula. The weather was calm, no winds or rough seas. As we pulled out of the Nassau Port an announcement was made from the Navigation Bridge stating they had some technical difficulties due to high winds/seasÖ. LIARS! Then they later announced there was a medical emergency and someone had to be evacuated off the ship. The comedian on board was supposed to catch a flight in the Bahamas so they got him off the ship. Of course, the passengers stayed on the ship. We never set foot on shore! Carnival gave each passenger a 100 dollar credit and 25% off a cruise taken before December 2007. The incident was their fault and Carnival stated per the contract we all agree to when setting sail, they did not have to reimburse anything, even though it was a Carnival Cruise line failure. I have travelerís insurance which is void because Carnival is responsible for reimbursing itís passengers under these circumstances! I was a returning customer when I boarded the Celebration. Now Iím a NEVER AGAIN returning customer.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
So it was that obvious that you were about to hit bottom? Wow!

I personally think Carnival went to the cheap side in your case.

Did the ship have noticeable motion or noise when it hit? What did the Captain say?

It was very obvious that we were going to hit bottom. It was so shallow and clear that we could see features on the bottom. Also, we were only between 20 and 30 feet from the shore. The screws were stirring up the sand prior to us hitting. After we struck bottom there was quite a bit of vibration on the ship even after we got out into deeper water. The bottles and glasses in the bar area were all rattling around there was so much vibration. The vibration remained until they shut down the one engine. I have some offshore oil drilling experience and have also been involved with the designs of other ocean going vessels and in my opinion in would have been prudent on Carnivals part to inspect the ship with divers or underwater cameras at the very least before setting sail for Jacksonville. There was really no way of knowing if there was hull damage or not...I'm guessing they didn't do this because they didn't have to (No Coast Guard jurisdication in the Bahamas) and because they didn't want to take a chance on not getting back to Jax in time for the next cruise to leave! Interesting, however, that once were back in US waters where the USCG has jurisdiction that they had to then inspect the ship with divers. Seems to me that the possibility of losing a buck or two meant more than the safety of the passengers.

The Captain said very little after this incident and was never to been seen by the passengers afterwards. They blamed it on a technical difficulty which is a meaningless and pretty broad term.

Dave
Old 08-18-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTICE

CANCELLED SAILING

CELEBRATION AUGUST 21, 2006 DEPARTURE

August 17, 2006

Dear Carnival Guest,

The Celebration ship has experienced a technical problem with the propulsion system that will require repairs to be made at a dry dock facility. This will require the cancellation of the August 21, 2006 sailing in order to complete the repairs.

Carnival will provide you with a full refund of your cruise fare and any pre-paid shore excursions. In addition, you will receive a 50% discount off a future 3 to 7 day Carnival cruise (excluding Alaska, Christmas and New Years) departing prior to December 13, 2007. This discount applies to the cruise fare only. Please understand that this offer is non-transferable.

We sincerely apologize for this situation and thank you again for choosing Carnival for your vacation. We look forward to welcoming you aboard another Carnival cruise in the near future.

Sincerely,

Vicki L. Freed., CTC

Senior Vice President Ė Sales and Marketing

Good Morning,

if incidents like this happens and you arrange your flights and transfers on your own:

If you uses cheap flights, redemption of mileage etc.:

Do they refund such costs like penalties for rebooking, cancellation fees, retransfer of mileage or loss of mileage as well?

Regards,
HeinBloed
Old 08-18-2006, 10:41 PM

Wow,

This story just keeps getting more interesting! I know for sure it is very shallow there where the bow of the ships dock. You can walk down the pier and see the bottom.

Even though I am a carnival fan, I will agree I would not have wanted to be on a damaged ship in the open atlantic. And I think their first offer of $50 was rediculous.

I feel bad for the passengers who just had their cruise cancelled. Machines fail, and things happen, that we all accept as life, but I think it should have been handled better as well.

I hope Dave reads this..As I have a theory too. I think the Side Thrusters may have failed during docking. Then with only forward/reverse motion, they backed too far in the shallow water and damaged the propeller/screw?

It will be ironic, but I will bet a Nickel to a Doughnut that the ship is taken back to Freeport for drydock repairs. I even think there is a chance the ship could be retired as a carnival brand if has substantial damage.

There have been rumors for years they were going to retire the Holiday. They found a market for Her and kept in service. They found a market for Celebration and did the same moving Her to Jacksonville, as She will go under the bridge with the exact capacity they need for that market. Anyone remember their sister ship that is no longer a Carnival Ship?

It was the Jubilee.

Just some thoughts and musings

IslandCruz

Closed Thread

Tags
bahama, bahamas, balcony, carnival, celebration, celibration, credit, cruise, holiday, ms, repairs, reviews, ship, shipboard, suite