Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Sad News (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/24485-sad-news.html)

Sandy 01-01-2009 09:40 AM

Unfortunately, the Carnival Sensation is reporting a member of the ship's entertainment staff has gone overboard on New Year's Eve. Read about it here.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the staff member's family and friends. I hope to hear good news about this person.

Sandy

Dwayne 01-01-2009 10:18 AM

This is very sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with the staff member's friends and family as well. I am hoping for a New Year's Day miracle.

Dwayne

LisaP 01-01-2009 10:23 AM

I'm hoping for a miracle, as well. The article mentioned that a life ring was tossed to him, and I hope that is helping. Thoughts and prayers are with him and his family and colleagues.

SanDee 01-01-2009 10:34 AM

How do you "accidently" fall overboard? I hope he found and alive! He is in my prayers.

Cruise Fanatic 01-01-2009 11:10 AM

Let's pray for everyone.

Frase 01-02-2009 02:05 AM

So, they saw him fall over board and tossed a life ring to him? I hope the ship stopped and did not keep going.

You would think that it would have been easier to find him if they saw him fall overboard the moment it happened, unlike what happened to that young lady on the Norwegian Pearl. They first saw her fall on video hours later. You would think that he would have had much better odds of being found than she did

Anyway, lets keep the family members of the missing passenger on the Norewegian Pearl and the crew member of the Carnival Sensation, in our thoughts and prayers.

sparks1093 01-02-2009 05:09 AM

When I was in the Navy we practiced recovering a man overboard and had exacting procedures in place. The only time we never recovered anyone was if they went overboard without anyone seeing it or if there was a storm blowing. (I remember reading about a Marine that went overboard a few years ago. They didn't see him go overboard and he was found three days later by a fishing ship. He stayed afloat by making a life preserver out of his trousers, a trick we are taught in boot camp.)

drlivingston 01-02-2009 07:58 AM

The man who fell off of the Sensation has a very good chance of surviving. 82ft. is a survivable plunge for a well-conditioned adult male. I am confident that he will make it. As for the woman on the Norwegian Pearl... how do you go on an anniversary cruise and not realize your wife is missing until almost 8 hrs. later?!?!

jack2007 01-02-2009 10:49 AM

This still has to be confirmed but I believe the man who fell overboard was a singer with a band that had been playing earlier.He was off duty and posing for a photograph on the railings when the wind caught him and he was blown off.
He was not drunk ....it was a terrible accident.I believe 3 life vests were thrown but failed to reach him.
Have yet to see official confirmation.

SD Cruiser 01-02-2009 01:04 PM

Did you say he was posing ON a railing, as opposed to against a railing. That would be a very risky thing to do on any cruise.