Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2002, 06:47 PM

Before we start looking online for our own tours, we would like an idea of what Carnival charges for the shore tours that you can book while on board.

Specifically:

GRAND CAYMAN--Stingray Sandbar, Hell, and Turtle Farm tour

OCHO RIOS -- the tour with Shaw Park, Fern Gully and Dunns River Falls

COZUMEL -- city and/or Mayan Ruins tour, and also a snorkeling tour

Apparently we are unable to book or even know about these until we get on board and have to stand in line to pay whatever price they ask. It would help to know so we could book our own in advance.

ANY HELP and REPLIES GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Sue
Carnival Triumph 1-11-03
[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2002, 06:47 PM

Before we start looking online for our own tours, we would like an idea of what Carnival charges for the shore tours that you can book while on board.

Specifically:

GRAND CAYMAN--Stingray Sandbar, Hell, and Turtle Farm tour

OCHO RIOS -- the tour with Shaw Park, Fern Gully and Dunns River Falls

COZUMEL -- city and/or Mayan Ruins tour, and also a snorkeling tour

Apparently we are unable to book or even know about these until we get on board and have to stand in line to pay whatever price they ask. It would help to know so we could book our own in advance.

ANY HELP and REPLIES GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Sue
Carnival Triumph 1-11-03
Old 09-01-2002, 07:46 AM

I got via e-mail from Carnival their current prices which are:

Jamaica, Shaw Par, etc plus Dunns River $49

Grnd Cayman, Stingray City plus Hell $49

Cozumel, Visit Tulum Ruins etc $59

Cozumel Snorkel, 34

Hope this is helpful
Old 09-02-2002, 03:27 AM

You're correct in assuming that you can't book early tours on Carnival. I find this as a tremendous drawback, as is their unloading facilities for shore excursions. Everyone meets in the theater, and very disorganized (Spirit 4/4/02). I would really be careful about doing tours on your own, as some places can be rather dangerous. Check out the State Department website for updated info. They won't steer you wrong, while some cruise lines will land where they shouldn't. As example of this was we went in to Columbia 8-9 days after a State Department alert. Harrassment was common getting back on the ship, by armed guards. We stayed on the ship, as did numerous other people. Cozumel has LITTLE cabs that can take you into the city for a nominal charge. They're supposed to hold 4 people, actually 2 and very uncomfortable at that. People that did the Mayan Ruins were 50/50 on it. Had to do a boatride to get there. Have fun, and be sure to check out the State Department site before you do anything.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:02 PM

Just wanted to say "THANKS!" for all your information and links. Little things like this really add up if they go sour on a cruise, so I want to know ahead of time, and thanks to you, I will!

"It's not the destination, but the Journey"...
may all yours be grand!
Sue
Old 09-11-2002, 07:49 PM

Sue, If your interested I booked a snorkle/stingray tour in Grand Cayman that was not affiliated with any ship. It was awewsome, we only had 25 people on our tour versus the 100 that are on the cruise ship tours. In Cozumel we also booked a tour on our own. We went on a Jeep Safari tour. We had such a great time. It was a bumpy ride but worth every bump. We toured some ruins and then went to a deserted beach and had the most wonderful lunch. Again a small group, only 13 people. The guides were Americans living in Mexico and they were so much fun.

Am I selling the tours enough for you. Just a side note we saved a little money, the sting ray was $35 and the Jeep was $75, but honestly the big selling point for us was not being with the crowds that are one the tours from the boat. Let me know if you want the contact info.
Old 09-14-2002, 07:22 PM

Hello marvlgrl...

YES...please let me know the tour companies you dealt with..... those tours sound wonderful!

We are from a very small town, so big crowds on the tours are not our idea of fun.

Thank you!!

Sue
mecham@salmoncountry.net
Old 09-20-2002, 11:23 PM

Hi,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but I have been swamped at work.

For the Cayman Tour the website is www.captainmarvins.com
I just can't say enough about this company. We absolutly loved this tour. My suggestion for this particular port is to book the first tour with Captain Marvin, I think its at 8:30, the reason being is your not there for very long and you want to get to the sting rays early before the crowds.

For Cozumel is is http://www.cozumel.travelnotes.cc/tours/jeep.html
The man that helped us is Alex. He was just fatastic. I emailed him numerous times with all kinds of questions and he was very quick in responding. Fantastic Tour, not for the faint of heart though. Bumpy Roads, but beautiful beaches and the most friendly people.

I hope you and your husband have a wonderful time. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Old 09-20-2002, 11:26 PM

Sue,

I wanted to also give you a piece of advice. Stay with one of the tours on Ochos Rios. We didn't feel safe at all there and were glad that we stuck with the boat. One of our tablemates was almost assualted by a local, they blew a white powder in his face. He started to feel woozy but was able to maintain his composure. Good thing also. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:41 AM

Good advice on Ochos Rios. Travel agents all have warnings about that, and warnings on State Department site. Have never been there personally, but friends that have felt very uncomfortable. Still haven't really figured out why the problem is there. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Closed Thread