Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 05:50 PM

Can anyone give me a rundown of alcohol prices on a Carnival Cruise? I am a first timer and want to make sure I plan ahead so I don't have a heart attack at the end!!

Thanks
Old 01-17-2008, 01:32 AM

Hello ej3209, and Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Click here for a Bar Menu that Dave posted last year. I think the prices are still current.

They also have buckets of beer (4) at a slightly lower price per beer. They have a morning Bloody Mary and Mimosa special from 9-11AM. I think it is still $3.95, a little early for me, but what the heck I was on vacation.

The prices do not include an automatic 15% gratuity.

Welcome aboard,

Dwayne
Old 01-17-2008, 07:27 AM

Dwayne gave you the ultimate in drink price prep guide. So I won't go into those details, but here are a couple of tips on drinking-

If you are a beer drinker, go for the Lidp deck and get the bucket. Worst case you don't drink them all and you take the unopended bottles back to the cabin and ask the steward to clear a space in your mini fridge for them (be sure to do that or they will charge you for drinks from the mini fridge even if you didn't take them. In fact you can ASK the steward to clear it out at the beginning of the cruise and then you can use it as needed. Not all stewards will do this, but you can ask (and a little extra tipping helps here too)

The other tip is DON'T get the drinks in the souvenir "glass". Its really a plastic cup (they used to be nice glasses, but I haven't seen those in years.). You spend an extra $2 per drink and have all these plastic glasses that you wind up throwing out because you can't pack them or end up using cabinet space back home. Any drink that they have in a souvenir glass they can make in a standard glass and it will be less expensive. If you are not sure, ask the waiter about the prices.

And third and last tip- 15% gratuity is added onto each drink order. It will be on your receipt. The receipt will have a line on it for "tip" like a charge card restaurant receipt.
Unless you intend on giving an EXTRA tip, don't put anything on that line (or 0 it out) as that 15% is already in the price. That goes for all the places you order drinks from on the ship.

You will have a bar waiter assigned to your dinning room table. Sometimes these guys are really good and I will give them an extra tip because they go out of there way for us -knowing that I always want a particular drink for dinner and having it waiting or making special drinks that are not on the menu (the wife likes a drink called "Kiss on the Lips" that was a CCL drink special once and they don't always have it.) Or they will just provide extra good service... Then I give them a little extra tip, but most of the time the drink waiters are are just getting a drink for you...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Administrator

The buckets are a good deal, and for a more vital reason than just being a couple bucks cheaper than if you bought four separate beers. They are the coldest beer you will find on the ship! The bartenders will replenish your ice if you ask. I've brought them back to the cabin and left them sitting on the deck, come back later and discovered that my attendant had dumped out the water and added fresh ice.

One thing to note is that if you order bottled beer from a bar by the pool they will not allow you to leave the bar with the bottle. In those situations they have to pour the beer into cups and put them in the bucket. Not a good scenario. This disappoints Corona drinkers.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:10 AM

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to double check on something. Last year I was on the Miracle and I bought one of the drinks with the plastic souvenier cup. The waitress told us if we re-use the cup, it gets filled at the same price as a regular size drink. So that's what we did a couple of times--- however, I don't know if any extra alcohol gets put in there, just mix. Is this still the case or has this changed?

Free Cruise Tickers
Carnival Miracle-05/07
Grandeur of the Seas-03/06
Caribbean Princess-04/05
Old 01-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Kiss on the Lips....yum! I can taste it now. Fabulous!!!!!

Old 01-26-2008, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by I love cruising!:
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to double check on something. Last year I was on the Miracle and I bought one of the drinks with the plastic souvenier cup. The waitress told us if we re-use the cup, it gets filled at the same price as a regular size drink. So that's what we did a couple of times--- however, I don't know if any extra alcohol gets put in there, just mix. Is this still the case or has this changed?
I don't know without knowing the difference in the cup sizes ounce wise. They don't seem to be too stingy with the alcohol. I use to tend bar part time, and have sat at many Carnival lido bars. I have taken a double take while watching them pour drinks.

Dwayne
Old 01-26-2008, 06:58 AM

Hi IslandCruz,

Not sure about the ounce size of the glasses, but just by looks, I would say the souvenier cup is about 1 1/2 to 2 times the size of a regular size glass. I don't think Carnival is "stingy" on the alcohol, I just am not sure if they double the alcohol when they fill the larger glass for the same price as the smaller glass, which I guess doesn't really matter, as long as the flavour of the drink remains the same.

Free Cruise Tickers
Carnival Miracle-05/07
Grandeur of the Seas-03/06
Caribbean Princess-04/05
Old 02-05-2008, 05:47 AM
We pre-buy our drink tickets before the cruise that way I can buy a packet every pay day. That sounds awful doesn't it. Go to www.carnival.com & at the top chose Gifts then chose Most Popular Items from the left drop down menu. On the second page you will find Bar Credit coupons. They are 4 for 21.25 in a pack. You can ask for these to be delievered to your room on the first night.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:26 AM

here is a funny part. wait until the ship leaves port. you pay one less tax . LOL

Caribbean Travel Photos

Riu Playacar Resort: Playa del Carmen All Inclusive
03-08 Carnival Triumph
08-07 Carnival Celebration
03-07 Carnival Victory
07-96 Crown Princess

Closed Thread

Tags
alccohol, alcohol, bar, beer, caribbean, carnival, cost, crown, cruise, drinks, prices, princess, review, ships, victory