Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2006, 08:28 PM

I thought they did ok with the story up until the very end. I thought it was really unnecessary for the reporter to end the story by asking the mother "There's thousands of girls out there right now wanting to go on a cruise, what would you say to their mothers?" and she answered "Don't let them go, don't let them go." One thing I found suspicious was the boyfriend not checking on the girl until 2pm in the afternoon.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:53 PM

[quote]Originally posted by ChucksOK:
Quote:
it's kinda strange for someone that age (25 years) to JUST UP & DIE!
I'm not suggesting ANYTHING by this comment, but how old were John Belushi or Marilyn Monroe when they "JUST UP & DIED"?

There are people that appear healthy but they die in their sleep due to sleep apnia - my brother did.[/QUO
I am sorry to hear that your brother died.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
And if they are saying that there was fowl play invovled.. what the heck does having been on a cruise ship have to do with it?
I agree, if there was fowl play it was probably Bird Flu and they would not have known

Seriously, sorry to hear that about your brother too ChucksOK.

I guess like people have said it gets media just because it was on a cruise ship.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Apparently her boyfriend slipped some methadone into cough medicine-he admitted to sneaking the methadone aboard. The interview indicated that the Mexican coroner found methadone in her system. The boyfriend claims to be in recovery and that he snuck the methadone on board to "help him through the recovery period"???????

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-26-2006, 04:43 AM

I ain't no Columbo, but that would be a red flag? I have not even seen this story. Someone post a news link please. It seems non relevant to cruises, but is interesting now to follow.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:58 AM

Yep, the boyfriend admitted "smuggling" the methadone on board. Real bright, no? And, yes, both the Mexican coroner and the independent coroner hired by the family found a lethal amount of methadone in her body. As I mentioned before, even a small amount taken by someone without the proper supervision can be fatal.

There is no way that they'll ever know if she took the stuff knowingly, although the boyfriend claims she knew he had smuggled the stuff in the cough medicine bottle. If that is the case, the speculation is that she took a little to make her sick so he'd stay with her in the cabin. They had fought earlier because she wanted to go to bed and he wanted to stay up. But, the mother claims the daughter would never do that.

Like I said, they'll never know what happened.

I forgot about the question Lagatuta asked the mother about sending daughters off on cruises. That was really a stupid question in that the cruise had nothing to do with the girl's death except that she was on one when it happened. A better question would have been, "There are hundreds of girls going on vacation with their addicted boyfriends. What would you say to them?"

I feel for the mother. I know I would want answers.

You can go to www.cbs.com and click on 48 hours to find video of the story. However, here are two other links to the story: (One note. . .I didn't read the second one in its entirety. . .I need to go back to the website to see if its a hatchet job on cruises given the website address.)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1472710.shtml

http://www.cruisebruise.com/Ashley_Barnett.html

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 09-26-2006, 10:08 AM

Thank You, Mooneydiva.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:56 PM

On the subject of mysterious deaths, I had a conversation at work today. Remember how I said it seemed strange that a 25 year old would just pass away? Well, a 64 year old guy I work with told me that when he was in the hospital after he had a heart attack, his roommate was a 12 year old boy-who had had a heart attack. I guess we just don't HEAR about these things much, but obviously and sadly, they do happen.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:58 PM

And the doctors said it was cholesterol.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:58 AM

So randomly enough, on the night this aired, we were on the Valor watching TV and THIS show came on. Kinda creepy to watch the show about a Carnival ship while ON a carnival ship. Best thing to do, don't get drunk and leave your friends alone I guess.

Closed Thread

Tags
christie, cruise, death, dies, dying, gem, girl, hour, methadone, missing, ncl, people, person, ports, ship, story