Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2006, 06:43 AM

Since we've been discussing the disappearances on cruise ships, I thought this might be of interest to some of you.

The season premier of 48 HOURS (CBS News) will deal with the mysterious death of a young woman on a Carnival cruise last year. From what I saw of the promo, the gal and her boyfriend were on a cruise. He left her in the cabin. When he tried to wake her on his return (or the next morning . . .I didn't quite get when this was.), she didn't respond. The ship's doctor did CPR, but she was dead.

48 Hours is on Saturday evenings on CBS.

Chris

Read and post cruise reviews

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - '05
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 09-22-2006, 07:31 AM

I didn't see the cause of death. What did she die from? The 48 hours story was kind of sparse.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:48 AM

Here we go again. How many people die in their sleep everyday in this country? Do they make the news? No.. But have it happen on a cruise ship.. wow! you have a ratings period storyline!

Same goes for someone that gets sick....
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-22-2006, 09:15 AM

Actually Jim, I think she saw her bar bill.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
Here we go again. How many people die in their sleep everyday in this country? Do they make the news? No.. But have it happen on a cruise ship.. wow! you have a ratings period storyline!

Same goes for someone that gets sick....

But you have to admit it's kinda strange for someone that age (25 years) to JUST UP & DIE! At home or on a ship. Maybe she had some kind of pre-existing medical problem.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
it's kinda strange for someone that age (25 years) to JUST UP & DIE!
I'm not suggesting ANYTHING by this comment, but how old were John Belushi or Marilyn Monroe when they "JUST UP & DIED"?

There are people that appear healthy but they die in their sleep due to sleep apnia - my brother did.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:25 PM

And if they are saying that there was fowl play invovled.. what the heck does having been on a cruise ship have to do with it?

And if the guy did "do her in" than as we have already seen in other posts, it would have been much cleaner to have had her "fall over-board". Then she would have just been a missing person from a cruise statistic... (okay, so maybe that comment was in poor taste since the poor woman is dead.)

And I agree with Chuck.. age ahs nothing to do with it. I have a buddy who had a heart attack at 27. If he had not been imediately cared for, he would not have made it.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-22-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:

The promo that I saw didn't state a cause of death. . .Of course, they are wondering about the "suspicious" circumstances. I wondered what the autopsy showed.

And, of course, someone dying in his/her sleep everyday in this country would not make the news simply because they are at home. Someone dying on a cruise ship in that manner *is* news simply because cruises are vacations and we don't equate death and vacations. And, if the person dying on vacation is young, the story is more interesting.

I don't think that the media is hitting necessarily picking on the cruise industry. I've seen stories on people disappearing or dying or committing murder or committing suicide at resorts and other tourist destinations. I think we are just a bit more sensitive to the cruise stories.

This is not, by the way, a ratings period (February, May, July & November). The story is, however, running for the season premier of 48 Hours because it has audience interest factor.

One final comment. . . .I doubt that these stories have hurt the cruise industry much. If I'm not mistaken, cruising is more popular than ever!

Chris

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Old 09-23-2006, 08:07 AM

The "Media" is a business. The shows must get viewers so they can sell advertising. They get those contracts by supplying what the masses want.

People who sit for hours watching sensationalistic stories about the horrors aboard cruise ships (and I know more than a few) will warn everyone not to travel. They are the same people who have stopped buying all produce because of the spinach "horrors".

And, they believe everyone who questions US foreign affairs might be a terrorist plotting to blow up Wyoming.

But, there are enough of us with ability to think rationally and independent of all the news selling headlines to keep the world from crumbling... or at least I hope so.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
The "Media" is a business. The shows must get viewers so they can sell advertising. They get those contracts by supplying what the masses want.

People who sit for hours watching sensationalistic stories about the horrors aboard cruise ships (and I know more than a few) will warn everyone not to travel. They are the same people who have stopped buying all produce because of the spinach "horrors
Of course the various media are businesses and they have to show things that attract viewers or readers or listeners so that they can get advertisers. And, they have to do stories people will want to watch or read about or listen to. Be realistic here. . . News is not the fact that thousands and thousands of people go on vacation each year on cruise ships (or trains or planes or in cars) and have a wonderful, uneventful time. The vacation becomes news when someone falls (although I have yet to figure out how that could happen) or jumps or dies mysteriously on a cruise ship.

Now, all that being said, if you actually watched 48 Hours last night, you would have seen that Bill Lagatuta didn't blame the ship for the girl's death. They know she died from a lethal dose of methadone (which her boyfriend smuggled on the ship to help him over his Vicodin addiction). What they don't know is how she, who had never taken an illegal drug (proven by a drug test to a strand of her hair)could have or would have knowingly taken methadone.

(BTW, methadone, while used by addicts to help recover from a number of drug addictions, is very dangerous if not used under a doctor's supervision and can be lethal in a very small dose - like a teaspoon - to someone who is drug-free.)

The girl's mother did indict Carnival for not answering her questions about what happened. (Although, how the heck they would know that is beyond me.) She complained that they left her daughter's body in Mexico alone (Law prevented the boyfriend from leaving the ship to stay with the body since the FBI had not yet talked with him.). She complained that the doctor and nurse didn't use resuscitation equiptment soon enough, although they both contend the girl was cold and already dead by the time they were called. (They boyfriend contends they said she was warm, but whom do you believe?) The girl's mother also complained that Carnival kept her waiting once the ship returned from sea and that no officials from Carnival helped her out. In fairness, she also blasted the FBI for some of the same things.

And, yes, they did bring up the George Smith case yet again. Both the Smiths and the girl's mother accused the cruise lines of circling the wagons and not responding to their requests for information on the investigations. We all know how unresponsive the cruise lines can be. How many posts have we seen on this very site where posters have tried to contact a cruise line on a much, much less important matter and received the silent treatment? I don't see that as an unfair indictment in any way.

The story was NOT sensational in anyway. Over all, I thought the story was well-done and fair in its coverage of what happened. It was not a story to scare anyone away from cruising. The mother is devastated, as anyone would be. She wants answers. Unfortunately, however, I don't think the mother is ever going to find out how (or why) her daughter ingested methadone.

Finally, let me agree with TTNYC's saying that there are some people who will believe everything they see or hear or read. And, thankfully, there ARE enough of us who can actually listen and think and reason and figure things out ourselves. However, you can't pre-judge a story or show simply because it is going to cover a certain story. When you do that, you're just as bad.

Chris

Veracruz - '85
CCL Tropicale - '94
CCL Valor - '06
CCL Victory - '06
Celebrity Century - '07
CCL Triumph - '07
CCL Victory - '08
NCL Gem - '10

Closed Thread

Tags
christie, cruise, death, dies, dying, gem, girl, hour, methadone, missing, ncl, people, person, ports, ship, story