Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 04:48 PM

Hi,
Can someone explain to me the rules for tipping. When we went on our last cruise we had the tip added automatically onto all our drinks...we left tips for our steward, and we weren't for sure on tipping the maitri d(how we should do it that is)we did only eat formally once. At the end of the cruise I was shocked to discover $10 per person per day added onto our bill for "other tipping". What is the best way to handle this tipping business? And if I am automatically going to be charged for tipping should I have it added onto our drinks?

Thanks everyone
Old 03-02-2009, 04:48 PM

Hi,
Can someone explain to me the rules for tipping. When we went on our last cruise we had the tip added automatically onto all our drinks...we left tips for our steward, and we weren't for sure on tipping the maitri d(how we should do it that is)we did only eat formally once. At the end of the cruise I was shocked to discover $10 per person per day added onto our bill for "other tipping". What is the best way to handle this tipping business? And if I am automatically going to be charged for tipping should I have it added onto our drinks?

Thanks everyone
Old 03-02-2009, 05:23 PM

Hello cyclones11, are you sure that the $10 per day per person wasn't for the fuel surcharge? If the charge was for gratuities, you wouldn't need to tip any more unless you wanted to. Usually it's $3.50 for the Stateroom Attendant, the same for your Waiter; $2.00 for the Assistant Waiter, and $.75 for the Head Waiter. That comes out to about $10 p.p., but you should have been informed that your gratuities were paid in advance. Some cruise lines don't automaticly charge for gratuities, if they do, your Stateroom Attendant will leave vouchers along with envelopes that you hand out on the last night of your cruise.

Sonny
Old 03-02-2009, 06:58 PM

They automatically charge your Sail & Sign account $10 per day. The drinks are not part of that and are charged 15% at the time of service. Here is a link to the break down and some information.

Dwayne
Old 03-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Administrator

quote:
When we went on our last cruise we had the tip added automatically onto all our drinks

That is the way it is on all mainstream cruise lines, and has been for many years. The 15% on each drink order is how the bar staff gets paid.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 AM

I wonder when Royal Caribbean will automatically charge for gratuity. So far it's always been an option. I usually pre-pay when I get on board and use my on board credits.

Sonny
Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Administrator

I was surprised that Celebrity went to auto tipping yet RCI didn't. Frankly I would have thought it the other way around. But I bet RCI does go to it.

Carnival has done it for a few years and it seems to work fine. I've never encountered a decline in service.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 AM

Princess, Costa, NCL and HAL also have the auto-gratuities. I like the system, but tip extra to those that deserve extra, in cash and to them directly.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:22 AM

I get carried away sometimes and forget I'm already tipping them. I like giving them the extra when they go above what is expected. Seems they always do too. I not only give them cash, if I have room I bring them a few gifts as well. They work very hard and deserve it.

Dwayne
Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Yes, we do the same. Extra cash on top of the auto tips.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, drinks, elation, salary, tipping