Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 AM

We have booked our first cruise on Carnival Freedom for Christmas. I am doing my research after [silly me] booking the cruise two weeks ago. I come up with the following:

1) Horrible interior decor - on one web site they say it looks like a New Orleans Whore House ????

2) That the service is mediocre.

3) The idea of having the big movie screen on the lido deck has taken away the one place where one can sit/lay down peacefully, relax and enjoy the eveing.

I know these are individual people's [most of them where over 50's] opinion. But the consistent theme has been that the decor is very depressing and dull. That this is worst ship [despite being new] in the Carnival family??

Any one [I did read Kuki's travails] just come off Carnival Freedom care to elborate, if their experience is similar?

I do hope that we get enjoy the cruise for which we have spent a lot of money.

Thanks..
Dave.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:58 AM

Hi Rochbie,

The decor is not exciting? That was worthy of posting on a review? Anyone who was complaining about their cruise because they didn't like the way the curtains or carpet were chosen is someone I'm not putting a lot of faith in for the quality of their cruise review.

I haven't searched the web for reviews of this ship nor have I yet sailed on her. I do book cruises for a living and have had scores of clients on Freedom who have been onboard for Med and Carib sailings. I've had very positive feedback, in fact at one point Freedom was the highest rated ship in Carnival's fleet from our feedback. Of course we don't have a question in our client survey for "How'd ya like the carpet?"

I'm not poking fun at you Rochbie but at the people who wrote such reviews. You can find truly horrible reviews on any ship ever built if you look hard enough. You can also find glowing reviews. Freedom is a fine ship and gets among the best overall feedback of any CCL ship. Go have a great cruise and let us know what YOU thought of the ship and the cruise when you return.

Cheers, Neil
Old 12-03-2007, 12:21 PM

well MrTrvlPro

I hope these web sites are truely for customers to discuss and to voice their opinions, and not a paid front by the cruise companies to promote and tout their ships, or to pay travel agencies such as your self extra commissions or travel discounts, to supress opinions!!!!

I disagree with your statement --"That was worthy of posting on a REVIEW"---

???. I think that is what a review is for. To state how the ship looked like, felt like, whether it was fun to travel in, or was it a bad experience?

You do agree that you have not travelled in this ship.. Carnival Freedom... how can you then disagree with others who have actually travelled in the ship [not me, not yet any way]??

I do agree that the quote or branding of the ship freeedom's decor as - reminiscent of "New Orleans Whore House"-- by [in fact these guys, who have posted the message, have travelled extensively on Carnival cruises - I think 9 crusies, and say that while they liked other carnival ships, they did not like the depressing decor of this ship and won't travel in this particular ship again] these travellers, was a little too strong.

I have not been to a New Orleans whore house, so I do not know how it looks.

And yes, I will post MY opinion at the end of the cruise.

And it will be polite of you not to admonish others, especially TRUE travellers, and stick to helping your customers or if possible post polite messages on web sites such as these.

Thanks.
Dave.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:01 PM

wow
Old 12-03-2007, 02:12 PM

Sorry if I offended you. I also cruise, just as an FYI and have cruised Carnival and many other lines multiple times. I assure you noone here is paid by the cruiselines to promote ships. Even the staff of this board, of which I'm not a staff member, are unpaid even for thier duties. You'll find, if you hang around long enough, it's a site full of experienced cruisers. Many with far more cruise experience than I have. There are ships, experiences, customer service issues and other topics that do get poor reviews here. Do a simple search with the find key and any keyword. This is not a "Rah, Rah" site for the cruise industry by any means. We simply try to provide you and others looking for opinions our own. That's what I did and did not think my response was in any way out of line. Sorry if you disagree. You're certainly entitled to your opinion here as well.

Cheers, Neil
Old 12-03-2007, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Internet medium is rather bland and it is easy to misconstrue the written words.

I do hope that this and other forums similar to this are bias free and genuinely mean what they say or rather post.

I am not a stuck-up traveller looking to find fault with everything that moves. I am just hoping that it will be nice travel experience.

I selected Carnival Freedom over Carnival Triumph for the same dates of travel only because it was a new ship [and paid $1000 more, for 4 passengers, for the same duration of the trip:- Triumph was eastern and Freedom is western Carribean].

I was begining to get discouraged on seeing several posts on the web in this and other web forums, commenting on the decor on Freedom being rather not "happy", and was wondering if I did make a wise decision on choosing Freedom.

But I will post my 2 cents worth [I am a new cruiser so I hope I will be very happy on being on my first cruise and hopefully wont know the difference], after my trip.

Thank you.
Dave.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:55 PM

No offense taken. I'm sure you'll have a great first cruise. I've had many and never a bad one yet. Some just a little better than others.

Cheers, Neil
Old 12-03-2007, 04:48 PM

I cruised the Carnival Freedom Nov 12-16th. I thought she was a beautiful ship and so did everyone else on board. The decor is different than any I've seen which gave it character. It certainly does not look like a Whore House??....but then again can't say I've ever visited one of those
The staff were very friendly, did not run into any that did not have a smile on their face, I am very confused at this comment and the movies on the Lido deck, well come on now, you must have done a little research before booking, and if not sorry to disappoint you but the screen is going regularly thoughout the day & night and I enjoyed it. If you want peace & quiet there are other areas of the ship to go. The Lido deck is where all the action is and thats the way it should stay. A cruise is not a "peaceful" nor "quiet" vacation in my opinion. You will end up enjoying yourself if you give it a chance. If not I'll trade ya places???
PS I am NOT a travel agent or Carnival employee, just simply love to cruise......
Leigh

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Old 12-03-2007, 06:18 PM

Leigh
Thanks for the update.

Nope.. I did not do any research prior to the cruise. I needed a vacation, decided to cruise and did an online search came up on this web site.

I did post a message on this board asking an opinion if eastern or western carribean was better. But I had to book the ticket before I got an answer ... initially all I got was two port-hole ocean view or inside cabin. So when a balcony on the main deck [I think] came up, I just booked it.

Regarding the movies and the lido deck.. it was a post by some other experienced cruisers who did not like the idea.. for them a cruise is just unwinding on the deck.. I guess with out the movies.

I did find it extreme for them to comment on the "whore house" decor.. , but I was not the author of it.... They did not like all the - quote- red snake skin decor etc...

I am sure I will find a way to unwind...

You are very welcome to come join me

Dave
Old 12-03-2007, 06:33 PM

Rochbie,
You will find that cruising is a very subjective subject. You have to take negative comments with a grain of salt. Carnival has a 98% satisfaction and repeat factor. I have been on 30 Carnival cruises. All their ships follow some type of theme. The decor is often very whimsical. To some this is appreciated, to some it is not. I have never found the main pool area to be the quiet area on a Carnival ship. It is near an outside buffet area, and many activities take place at the Lido pool. There are other areas where you can find a quieter area. Mostly on the upper aft decks.
Why not go here and take a virtual tour of the ship.

Closed Thread

Tags
back, cabin, carnival, cruise, deck, feed, feedback, forums, freedom, inside, main, opinions, reviews, survey, updates