Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 AM

I have been giving this post a lot of thought and this is my theory.
The ship must rent the dock for a certain amount of time for that day. and any time used over that time they are billed.
that is why i think that carnival will wait for a person that has booked thru them because of the very overpriced excursions they sell pay for the late leaving fees.
but I always make sure I am back on the ship in plenty of time. but i do know that things happen. I would be so frightened to be left in a foreign country alone. but some people like to push the envelope.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Administrator

The port fees each passenger pays covers docking or use of an anchorage, and other port facilities. When a ship leaves is legally up to the harbor master, who has to coordinate arrivals and departures, as well as the pier workers who tie up the ships and so forth. Of course these things are normally arranged well in advance and are timed quite accurately. However a ship may not always be allowed to remain docked if a ship-sponsored tour is late. If the pier space is needed a cruise ship could be required to move to an anchorage to wait for the tour to return. Certainly not a usual occurrence, but I am sure it has happened.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:14 PM

My best friend and her husband were on the Conquest last March. They were in Jamaica and had ventured to another part of the island to try the "local folage". They got so caught up in what they were doing that they lost track of time. They realized that they were going to miss the ship, so their "tour guide" (some guy they met when they got off the ship), put them in a mini bus that sped back to the pier. They nearly missed the ship! They were the last ones on board. I asked her if she got a talking to by the ships crew and she said no. She said that they acted as if it were no great big deal. Then when they were in Grand Cayman alot of people were late comming back. She said it looked like half the ship was late. But most likely they were all part of a shore excursion.

I told her that I had no intentions of cutting it that close. She replyed..but they will wait for you!!! I tried to explain to her that they will NOT wait for you and you can and WILL be left if you dont show up on time. But she is late for everything anyways. I will back on board at least 1 hour before I am suppose to.

Bahama's / Fantasy / 2003
Old 01-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
But she is late for everything anyways.
Sooner or later she will learn the hard way. Some people just won't listen to reason.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:37 PM
We were in Alaska and ready to pull out and watched this young guy running so fast and watching the ship, he tripped over those car (cement things in the parking lot) and broke his nice big camara. It was in pieces, later it was funny but at first I sort of felt bad for him. He did make it but they were not waiting for him, I can tell you.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 01-22-2009, 07:21 PM

The lady who was our excursion leader in our group on Roatan was used to flying there and diving. She was very knowledgeable of the island, but not too bright about cruise ships. She kept saying they'll wait don't worry. There were several veteran cruisers (myself included) telling her "No they won't!".

The closest I normally cut it is on Grand Cayman. I still make sure I'm on the tender before the last one.

Dwayne
Old 01-22-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
quote:
But she is late for everything anyways.
Sooner or later she will learn the hard way. Some people just won't listen to reason.

Yep and I hope I am NOT around to watch it. I love her to death, but she is the Pokeist person I know!!! I tell her all the time, that she will be late for her own funeral.

Bahama's / Fantasy / 2003
Old 01-23-2009, 03:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
If the pier space is needed a cruise ship could be required to move to an anchorage to wait for the tour to return. Certainly not a usual occurrence, but I am sure it has happened.
This triggered a memory for me. I remember one time, years ago, that we left the pier and then anchored. This was probably the reason.

Closed Thread

Tags
back, comming, cruise, excursion, late