Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2002, 06:58 PM

Has anyone every booked a Category 1A guarantee and received an upgrade? I know the general rule is to book the minimum that you will be happy with and then you won't be disappointed if you don't get an upgrade. I am wanting to cruise in November with my stepdaughter. Cost is the major factor (right now anyway) and I have found some REALLY good prices but they are the Cat 1A.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:58 PM

Has anyone every booked a Category 1A guarantee and received an upgrade? I know the general rule is to book the minimum that you will be happy with and then you won't be disappointed if you don't get an upgrade. I am wanting to cruise in November with my stepdaughter. Cost is the major factor (right now anyway) and I have found some REALLY good prices but they are the Cat 1A.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:02 PM

Several factors are involved in upgrades, cruise line, ship, number of times you've sailed with line, and time of the year. You just never really know. Sometimes it works, and others, not. Good luck! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2002, 07:41 AM

Kelly,

My mother-in-law is joining us on our cruise in November (CCL Legend) and I booked her a 1A guarantee (single occ). I've been watching the rates and they keep dropping and assuming that the ship has lots of availability. I think there is a pretty good chance of getting upgrades for November cruises (except Thanksgiving cruises). The rates are exceptionally low.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:55 AM
Banned

We have booked a cabin guarantee twice. Both times were at the recommendation of our TA. Also both times were within a month of our cruise so there was nothing else available. The first was an outside guarantee, the ship did not have any balconies. We got a room on the main deck (barely about the water line) with a small port hole. The second time was a balcony guarantee. We end up with a room with four berth beds. These beds are attached to the wall and can be flipped up out of the way. We were not able to put them together to make a double bed. We no longer take the guarantee booking. As far as upgrades go we have never been upgraded into a differnt class. For the most part our "upgrades" have been to a different deck. We have never gone from outside to balcony or balcony to mini suite etc. I guess it happens but we have never been so lucky. I ask our latest TA about getting a rebate if the fare got reduced before the cruise since we booked a lot earlier for our next cruise. He said that the cruise lines do not give rebates but if they lower the fare they usually upgrade you to make up the differnce.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:48 AM

we booked our cruise on Spirit as a guarantee 6A,(room with a window) I booked with icruise.com and I watched the rates fluctuate. One weekend the cat. 8I (room with extended balcony) was on sale for a little less than what we paid and I called a the TA got us the 8I. The next weekend the prices went back up. It doesn't hurt to watch the prices and call to request it. This is going to be our first cruise and I wanted to make it the best, we cruise in 4 1/2 weeks. I can hardly wait
Old 09-18-2002, 10:58 AM

Most of the time cruise lines will only offer an upgrade from inside to inside or ocean view to ocean view etc. Carnival does not, as far as I know, offer upgrades to anyone purchasing a category 1A ticket. You usually have to book as a minimum, cat. 4A accommodations.
With respect to rebates, my agency keeps a constant watch to see if the prices on any of the cruises that we have booked go down. (special promotions etc) In that situation, we will call the cruise line to try and revise the booking so that our customers will get a lower price. The statement that cruise lines do not give rebates is true unfortunately.
Cruiseman
Old 09-18-2002, 11:48 AM

The last statement that cruise lines do not give rebates, is not accurate, at least with Princess. We sailed the Sun Princess in Alaska, August 2001. Found out 2 weeks before we left, that there was a special promo on for our location in Florida at the time. Rebate had to be sent back to travel agent, and we had a check for $950 waiting on our return. Fortunately, our travel agent is also a close friend, that would not try to keep for herself. As far as a previous post is concerned, upgrades do occur on Carnival between outside to balconies. That's also happened to us, as well as a balcony to mini-suite. Like I had said previously, depends on when you're traveling, and what's available. I personally think a lot depends on the travel agent as well as to how much they book with a particular cruise line.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:10 PM

not true at all!!! last october 2001,my girlfriend and i were going on the fantasy.after paying and luckily checking prices until sailing,i found our tickets cheaper by 50 p/p.i called carnival,they upgraded me from 1 a to 11 veranda deck inside..not bad bottom to top deck..with just a phone call.....also,i am cruising on the pride in nov 02,and price already went down,called and i was credited 30 dollars p/p to sign and sail..so dont believe what you read..if you want it cheaper,use your mouth!! i did!! i paid my cruise off 7 months ago.now if you buy it now,you get it cheaper then i paid...ummm NOT!

Closed Thread

Tags
6a, carnival, category, catergory, catogory, cruise, difference, fantasy, guarantee, line, prices, room, ship, shopping, upgrades