Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Here's a suggestion, CCL should put more outlets in the staterooms.
That is a lot more difficult than you might think. Circuits can only handle the designed electrical loading. Adding outlets on a ship isn't the same as adding them in a house.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
That is a lot more difficult than you might think. Circuits can only handle the designed electrical loading. Adding outlets on a ship isn't the same as adding them in a house.
Which is why I thought they would ban the power strips, because of the extra drain of power.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Administrator

People forget that many cruise ships were designed and built before the huge crush of personal electronic devices. The Fantasy-class ships were built with an electrical system based on electric razors, a few minutes of hair dryer use, and maybe a night light. They didn't anticipate two to three thousand people showing up with cellphones, laptops, iPods, digital cameras, etc., all needing recharging. Some of the people ranting in other forums apparently have degrees in electrical engineering given their smug comments about electrical loading on the ships. Frankly it annoys me when people who have no clue as to what they are talking about decide to dive in anyway. And before anyone jumps on me, I spent 30 years in nuclear power and electrical generation. I know what I am talking about!

Old 05-15-2010, 03:51 AM

Thanks for posting the list, Dave. As you know I have been following this as well. I think it was a reasonable compromise. I also think it could have been worded better. I always thought that steamers were on the list because of the wording they had years ago concerning items with heating elements. I guess they are being more specific in that regard. I've always taken one anyway without a problem in the checked luggage. I guess that was then and this is now.

My advice is if people have questionable items is to carry them on if possible. Anyway that is what I'm going to do when I find a 220V adapter to use for charging purposes.

They don't have inflatable kiddie pools on the list either. However someone asked if they could bring one once to use on Lido and the answer from Carnival was no.

I'm not an electrical engineer, yet I can see where plugging in multiple high watt appliances at the same time would cause a problem and safety concern. Heck, I can't even plug in more than 2 things on a power strip at the parent's old lakehouse without tripping a breaker.

Dwayne
Old 05-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Administrator

The new list lasted about 12 hours before they revised it again this morning.

The new revision only has one change - they removed the 700 watt suggested limit for personal grooming devices. So actually the list is less restrictive now.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:56 PM

The only time I every felt the need for a fan was on the Sun Princess. We will in a very small inside cabin. It was probably all in my head but a fan would have been nice in that room.
You could not get out of the bed on the side, had to craw out to the foot of the bed.

BTW this might be my last post. As soon as my wife finds out I posted an image of an unmade bed and room life as I know it will end.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Administrator

I think most of the fan people want them for the background noise and not the air movement.

Funny thing about the Sun Princess - well, not really funny since it drove us crazy - but we also had an inside cabin on the Sun P back in 1997, immediately behind the bridge. Our first night at sea and the water got a little choppy, and this hellish metallic grating noise started. It was as though they had failed to put rubber grommets between the cabin walls and they were scraping together as the ship flexed. It was beyond description. Think of fingernails on the chalk board, only going through a McIntosh 2000 watt power amp and a set of Klipschorns. Full ship - they were filming "Love Boat, Next Wave" on our sailing. Thankfully the seas calmed down by day 3 and the noise subsided. I don't think a fan would have helped us. The ability to totally shut off our hearing was the only remedy. My hearing is the one thing I have which is near perfect - even at 54.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Safety First....

It only time I had a problem with the outlets was on the Wonderful Oasis....It was under the desk and you had to crawl on your hands and knees to get to it....but I considered it my morning workout.....But yes Dave, some people need a Black and White list....I just leave all of the "Stuff" at home and enjoy the cruise....Happy Sailing to us All...

Bob E
Old 05-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Bob,

Like you I was confused by the Oasis outlets. I remember standing there by the desk for several moments looking for them, thinking "I can't believe they didn't put outlets in the cabin!" As I recall there was a card or piece of paper on the desk which directed me to look underneath. I still don't like the location. I have back problems and cannot easily root around under the desk to plug things in.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:48 PM

I'll have to see if they changed that on the Allure when I go in November.

Closed Thread

Tags
aid, banned, bring, carnival, cruise, curling, dryer, fantasy, hearing, irons, items, ports, powered, prohibited, ship, vbulletin