Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Administrator

The hubbub never broke out here, but on other cruise forums there has been nothing short of acrimony at reports Carnival would ban power strips and electric fans. Some vowed to never cruise with Carnival again if they couldn't bring a power strip with them. Kind of silly, IMHO.

Anyway, Carnival has sidestepped the issue by listing fans and power strips under "miscellaneous concerns" with the following wording:

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Apparently the issue is if the device appears to be in good condition it is okay. If you have something that looks like you bought it for 10 cents at a garage sale, they will take it away.

I would post a link to all the rules but Carnival has done something to their website and I can't link to specific items.

Oh, one more thing. Clothes steamers are listed under banned items along with clothes irons.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:03 PM

Well that wording then let's the individual captain's determine what they will allow on board. They can interpret what "poses a hazard" s they wish.

I can understand their concern here as some people many have electrical items that are well used and could indeed represent a fire hazard. Better that they deal with it this way and enable questionable things to be confiscated than risk a fire.

Seems like a hassle to bring a fan with you but I guess some people who live near the port would do it...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 05-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Administrator

HERE is a link to the list in pdf format.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim C.:
Well that wording then let's the individual captain's determine what they will allow on board. They can interpret what "poses a hazard" s they wish.

I can understand their concern here as some people many have electrical items that are well used and could indeed represent a fire hazard. Better that they deal with it this way and enable questionable things to be confiscated than risk a fire.

Seems like a hassle to bring a fan with you but I guess some people who live near the port would do it...

WHAT does carnival do to keep you going back jus wondering
Old 05-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
WHAT does carnival do to keep you going back jus wondering
Carnival provides great value and a really fine cruise experience. They are #1 for good reasons. They offer fun and do it quite well. Some of the best bands I've heard on any cruise line were on Carnival cruises. Carnival has very good food (really) and their cabins are bigger than most other lines. In many markets Carnival has the lowest price for similar or identical itineraries. But it is important to have your expectations properly set when cruising with Carnival. It isn't high end. It isn't ships full of expensive artwork. It isn't a formal evening with most people standing around in tuxedoes and gowns (although you will see some). You should expect to see Mom, Dad, and their 2.4 kids. What you won't see is a bunch of drunks stumbling around, which is a stigma that Carnival stills carries years after they buried it and became a true family-friendly line.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Some questions I have for Carnival....

The list prohibits firearms but the only examples given are for starter pistols and non-firing weapons. So does that mean functional guns are okay? But then since ammunition is also banned I guess it is a moot point.

And if I happened to show up at the pier with a Segway, a fishing boat, or bicycle, they really would dispose of it? "I'm sorry sir, but we'll have to toss your bass boat in the dumpster."

I think they've created more confusion with the nebulous nature of the new list.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:19 PM

Well I must say that Carnival did the right thing about this. it is a judgement call about the device. I dont care if they band the devices. It is all about safety. what if it were to cause a fire. I am on Carnivals side
Old 05-14-2010, 05:32 PM

Here's a suggestion, CCL should put more outlets in the staterooms.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:40 PM

how meny plugs does the average person need? my sister and I have been on 10 cruises and we have no trouble at all getting dressed at the same time. We both use curling irons, and we just have never had a problem. Am I missing something?
Old 05-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator

I've been in the middle of the north Atlantic, at night, on a ship with a fire happening. It was the Navy and we were close to going to General Quarters because of the fire. I do know everyone was awakened and told to dress and stand by. Thankfully we got the fire under control and put it out (electrical fire).

My issue is Carnival has opened this up to individual interpretation, and at least in some passengers minds they could comply with the list only to have things taken away at embarkation. Some people need a cut-and-dried list to feel comfortable. Now there are many things which "may" be okay. I can understand having latitude, but I think they went too far with the vague terms.

Realistically I think Carnival will not be harsh about it. However the port screening people don't work for Carnival. There are a lot of Barney Fife's out there.

Vanessa plans to bring a curling iron on our July cruise aboard the Elation. The Mobile port staff is wonderful and I don't anticipate a problem.

Of course, since I wield ruthless power as a cruise journalist if any problems develop I'll expound on them here!

Closed Thread

Tags
aid, banned, bring, carnival, cruise, curling, dryer, fantasy, hearing, irons, items, ports, powered, prohibited, ship, vbulletin