Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 09:25 AM

can you buy abox there and bring them back to the U.S, a friend wants to get to him some? i didnt know if it was ok or not? thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 09:25 AM

can you buy abox there and bring them back to the U.S, a friend wants to get to him some? i didnt know if it was ok or not? thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 09:27 AM

You can buy them and smoke them on board, but no go on bringing them back to the states.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by penny3333:
You can buy them and smoke them on board, but no go on bringing them back to the states.
i didnt think so , the last cruise , i heard they had a smoke out the last night .cough, cough ,i dont smoke.but i seen people carring the cigar boxes in there hand off the ship , i dont know if they had anything in them ?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Banned

i see your cruising to cozmel, where's that?
if you shop for cubans in mexico beware of phonies, only buy from a real tobbacco store.
you can bring the box back but not the smokes,
our cruise director kept hinting that he and the captain loved them and would be happy to dispose of them..heh heh
Old 11-07-2006, 10:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wise2u:
i see your cruising to cozmel, where's that?
if you shop for cubans in mexico beware of phonies, only buy from a real tobbacco store.
you can bring the box back but not the smokes,
our cruise director kept hinting that he and the captain loved them and would be happy to dispose of them..heh heh
i was going to buy them at the place you got to walk though to get to shore in mexico? i dont smoke , i know you can bring so much booze back with you .i didnt know if you can buy a couple of cigars to bring back.for him . ?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator

U.S. law about Cuban products can be hard for us regular folks to understand. Strictly speaking, a U.S. citizen who buys ANYTHING made in Cuba ANYWHERE in the world is violating the Trading With The Enemy Act. This is because the purchase causes funds to flow to the Cuban government. So when you buy a Cuban cigar in Cozumel, and you are an American, you are breaking the law. Realistically, this cannot be enforced at the point of sale but it is enforced when you return to the U.S. And for those who remove the cigar bands and claim they are not Cuban - Customs considers all unbanded cigars as Cuban unless you can prove otherwise.

I was "into" cigars during the craze but have backed off. I still have a full humidor and smoke a few over the year. I have smoked Cuban cigars and frankly think they are overrated. I'd much prefer a good Honduran or Dominican any day. And to be sure, most of the Cuban cigars you see in the tourist ports are fakes. The only island that I trust to sell real Cubans is Grand Cayman - there is a tobacco shop across the street from the landing that sells the real article.

Another aspect of the law is that it doesn't ban U.S. citizens from traveling to Cuba. You just can't spend a penny of U.S. currency while there. And you can get a license from the Treasury Department to visit Cuba and bring back $100 in Cuban goods. You can also go there under other aspects (news reporters for instance) and bring back the $100 worth of cigars.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Anybody here live witing a short drive of the Canadain Border? We are not subject to the embargo, and you can buy all the Cuban Cigars you want, as long as you do not take them back into the USA.

My wife (then girlfriend) and I went the Niagara Falls for the August long weekend last year. We saw this one gentleman with the largest cigar I have ever seen, with the look of heaven on his face.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:30 PM

I always bring a few cubans home, never a whole box.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:36 PM

I'M GOING ON THE NCL DREAM NOV 25TH..
DO THEY SELL CUBAN CIGARS IN MEXICO THAT ARE "REAL" CUBANS ANYWHERE YOU CAN SUGGEST?
AND APPROX HOW MUCH ARE THEY?
THANKS
VIC.....

Closed Thread

Tags
back, board, bring, buy, carnival, carribean, cigars, cruise, cruse, cuban, cubans, home, real, ship, western