Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 05:33 PM

can someone tell me if you buy a soda card its free pop.Do they have, like a big gulp glass that you see at 7-11 or is it wise to bring a big insulated glass with me. Going on first cruise on Valor Nov 9 thanks
Old 10-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Most of the time you get an 8 oz insulated Coke cup and that's it....they just keep refilling it...or they just give you a small cup with Coke in it.....and sometimes the bartender will avoid you....and unless you drink lots and lots of Coke, it's not worth the price...at least I don't think so....Happy cruising...

Bob E
Old 10-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Administrator

You can't use your own container from home. If you get one of the souvenir insulated mugs when you buy the fountain fun pass they will fill it. However it doesn't hold but maybe 10 oz. Otherwise you get a standard bar glass of soda at a time. The last time we were on Carnival (in July) they charged extra for the souvenir mug.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:54 AM

Hello Diver57

Depending on how much you like softdrinks the card can be a good deal. If you will drink one or two cokes a day it may not be worth it. Be careful, the drinks in your room are $ 1.75 for a canned coke plus gratuity.

We found that we drank less alcohol with the coke card and had no problem getting them from either wait staff or bartenders.

Al
Old 10-25-2008, 11:39 AM

I bring a 6 or 12 pack bottles of diet cokes or cokes on board (Carnival allows you to bring a small quantity of beverages on board) and I carry one around in my bag - and just get cups of ice. I usually drink about 1 or 2 a day.

10/19/06 Holiday
9/8/07 Fantasy
1/10/08 Holiday
10/30/08 Holiday

Old 10-26-2008, 09:25 PM

Just got off the Pride. A can of soda now costs$1.95+, the soda card costs $6.00+ per day.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:51 AM

Your insulated coke container will probably look similar to this (keep in mind it is only 8 inches tall with the lid intact and only 3 inches wide at it's maximum width) With ice, it will barely hold a 12 oz. can of soda.
Just for scientific research, that has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that I am a nerd with nothing to do, I filled up a recent Royal Caribbean insulated cup and found it to have a liquid capacity of 20 ounces. In contrast, the Carnival insulated cup only held about 15 oz. of liquid.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Just got off the Pride. A can of soda now costs$1.95+, the soda card costs $6.00+ per day.
Welcome back Gary!

Hope you had a great cruise.

Dwayne
Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 PM

I just got back from the Glory. I noticed they would fill the old large Carnival "big gulp" type mugs. To my knowledge they don't sell them anymore though. They wouldn't fill anything else that wasn't a Carnival logo item.

Someone had posted a while back about getting juices and mixers such as tonic etc. with the soda card. They freely poured them into the insulated container that drlivingston posted a picture of on the Glory at the Lido Bar.

Dave had posted (I think) about not being able to get the Bahama Mama mix on the Holiday as a punch. I figured that one out. They are now adding the alcohol to the mix as they make it. (at least at the Glory Lido Bar). The Bloody Mary's were poured out of the container. I watched them mix the next day's specials and add the alcohol straight to the jug.

They always added the alcohol after the mix was poured before. They didn't use any type of measuring method while making the concoctions. So who knows what the actual alcohol content is. Just wanted to pass my observations along.

Dwayne
Old 10-28-2008, 05:59 AM

Welcome back Gary and Dwayne, we missed you both! Dwayne, years ago when I tended bar, we made our mixes up at night for the next day. Even though it doesn't seem like it's measured, it really is. Our bloody mary mix was 2 bottles of Vodka, 4 cans of tomato juice (large cans), 4 tablespoons of celery salt, 8 tablespoons of horseradish, 1 bottle of worchesteshire sauce, and 4 limes juiced. Our martini mix was 2 bottles gin, 1 bottle vermouth. To someone watching, it would be like a free pour, but the ounces were figured out by someone with too much time on their hands Hope both of you had a fantastic cruise!

Closed Thread

Tags
buy, card, cards, carnival, cokes, cruise, cup, drink, fun, glory, insulated, mug, onboard, review, soda, soft